Accused of lying

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2019 following full assessments and scans. Yesterday in a room full of people I was told I should not be telling people I have alzheimer's as "there is obviously nothing wrong with you."

I have suffered a few negative comments in the past but this blatant and vociferous incident has left me reeling and unsure how to cope as circumstances mean I will bump into this person again. I realise that ignorance is playing a part here, but .......................

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ignorant and arrogant @Dunroamin Do they expect you to wear a label?

I`m afraid I would tell them, if it happens again, you will forgive them their ignorance.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I am so sorry that you had to experience such ignorance, there is no excuse for such behaviour.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Gosh, as if you didn’t have enough to put up with. Remember it isn’t you who should feel awkward when you see this person again, it’s them.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
What a compliment to you as a person.

They are assessing your communication skills and cognitive presentation , and obviously finding all good things.

Dementia is a battle, you should be so proud that nearly five years after diagnosis you are still able to help others on this forum.

That person is of no importance at all, perhaps the challenge to your honesty in their comment is annoying, but I would bat that annoyance away like a bluebottle!

You won’t have been the only person in the room who knows the truth, you don’t need to take any action, just try to give them a wide berth next time.
And don’t let their presence take away any pleasure that future events will offer.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2019 following full assessments and scans. Yesterday in a room full of people I was told I should not be telling people I have alzheimer's as "there is obviously nothing wrong with you."

I have suffered a few negative comments in the past but this blatant and vociferous incident has left me reeling and unsure how to cope as circumstances mean I will bump into this person again. I realise that ignorance is playing a part here, but .......................
Dear @Dunroamin,

I was astounded to read this and I would give that person a wide berth. I also admire you and you have supported your friends here on this forum.

MaNaAk

Sun rich

Dec 20, 2023
Dear @Dunroamin,

I was astounded to read this and I would give that person a wide berth. I also admire you and you have supported your friends here on this forum.

MaNaAk
There's always one person who thinks they can intimidate it out of you. They are toxic and must be considered an unsafe presence. As they say in self- defense training. Very sorry to hear.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Dunroamin, sorry someone was so thoughtless, but try not to dwell on it. You have been such a positive person to have on this forum and I hate you to be knocked back by someone's unthinking remarks.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
sorry someone was just plain rude about you. i would announce in front of others how rude and thoughtless they have been, i have always read and admired what you do in life to live your best life. hows the needlework going?

MatthewB

Oct 3, 2022
Arkansas
I'm sorry for that mean guy is say that to you I'm hope and pray you to not feel bad is hard for people don't don't understand to know is mean to say that those things I will pray for him too so maybe can think more kindly he can I mean
You are good and nice no matter what anybody is say can't take that away from you

GoldyLocks

Oct 2, 2022

I’m so sorry to read your message. I too have onset symptoms and I live on my own. I wish you
well. The so and so who said these things lacks a brain. I feel your pain…., and