Accidental Invisibles

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Mother in law moved into a care home yesterday. My husband and elder sister did the moving and it went well. The home seem good in that they took on board little things like mil’s preference in tea and they’d arranged her room to look like her one at home.
Husband is slightly concerned the room is a long way from the dining room and lounge, but as they wanted a home where mil could have some quiet space, that is probably a good thing, as long as they can get her there for some meals and activities.
Family can visit at any time which is great.
it looks like 2 out of 2 settled and happy. if mil cant walk that far, they can always wheel her down to the dining room. hope both continue to be happy and it takes the pressure off of the family

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
That sounds like a very caring home to set her room up so carefully.

There is a balance between quiet and near things. If MIL likes her own company she might not want to join in activities.

My mum liked joining in with everything when she first moved to sheltered extra care. She probably should be in a care home but joining in anything would be beyond her now. She got to the point where too much stimulation wasn't good for her a while ago. So in a quiet corner might suit your MIL.

Hopefully all the siblings can now visit without the stress of caring/worrying.

I'm guessing a house sale is the next step.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
News from this morning was that MiL was very settled in her room listening to Bach, but hadn't ventured out yet. If that keeps her happy, that sounds a good thing.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I'm sad to report my mother in law died this morning. My husband didn't arrive in time before she passed away, but his siblings waited till he got there, which he was grateful for.
The care home was an excellent one and though the last few weeks were not great, I think her last year was on the whole as happy as it could be.
She was an amazing woman, and someone whose love and understanding I will always treasure.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Oh @Sarasa - I'm so sorry to read this. You had mentioned on anther thread that things were not good.

You've posted over the years as to how well you got on with your MIL pre old age and dementia and I'm sure you miss the person she was, and have done for a while.

As a family you were lucky to find a home which suited her needs so well.

Condolences on your loss xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cak