Abuse

redsquirrel

Jun 14, 2014
Hypothetically, what should a relative do if they find themselves in this situation:

Dad is in the advanced stages of dementia living in a DE ward, he gets angry as he mistakes help as a threat.

Two care workers do the following in a room alone with him:
- make fun of his genitals
- Threaten to hit him
- Make sexual references to his wife
- Make fun of him when he cries

If I overheard this what should I do? At what level do you go in it? Is this care quality commission, police, media, social services? What could you expect if the 'whistle is blown' and what is the most appropriate course of action.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Hypothetically, what should a relative do if they find themselves in this situation:

Dad is in the advanced stages of dementia living in a DE ward, he gets angry as he mistakes help as a threat.

Two care workers do the following in a room alone with him:
- make fun of his genitals
- Threaten to hit him
- Make sexual references to his wife
- Make fun of him when he cries

If I overheard this what should I do? At what level do you go in it? Is this care quality commission, police, media, social services? What could you expect if the 'whistle is blown' and what is the most appropriate course of action.

Is this really hypothetical? Or is it an actual situation?

Initially at least, I'd suggest not the media. They can be unhelpful and it may backfire on you.

I'd raise it with social services IN WRITING as a Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults (SOVA) issue.

No harm in copying the CQC and the police in - some larger forces have a public protection unit or similar tasked with such offences, although it is usually quite small. Technically an offence may have been committed and the Care Bill will introduce further specific offences.

You describe this as in a "ward". If it is an NHS hospital, then also raise it with the complaints team, cc the Safeguarding Lead and the Head of Governance and Risk. Also stress it is a SOVA issue and do so IN WRITING.

W

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
In the current climate, I would go straight to the police.
They will make sure everything is done correctly and action is taken against the vile pigs that abuse.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
.......CQC are toothless in my experience........if it is in a residential home ask for the registered or duty manager......if nhs ask for the nurse leading the shift or matron........also involve adult safeguarding and if nhs ask for safeguarding lead nurse. Be calm (difficult) and record everything in writing ( you will forget the details, when you have to repeat/evidence it) if physical injury or bad conditions take photos at the time.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
This would be abuse....plain and simple ( assuming that there is plausibility in the complainant and not just the imaginings of a tormented mind).
I'm not saying that the complainant ought to be disbelieved if they have a mental illness, only that sometimes things can be misconstrued.I would report it to the unit manager and tell them that you are reporting it to the Police. I would not leave it to the manager to make contact. The Police have far greater power to investigate bullying and abuse. I would also contact the Adult Social Care/Vulnerable Adults department at the Local Authority claiming assistance for a vulnerable person.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Some good advice has been given by other posters so I won't repeat this. The use of a hidden camera might just give the concrete evidence that is needed to further this with the Local Authority and the Police.

Although the CQC has been labelled as 'useless' by a poster, it is the official body which regulates and monitors care homes and unless they are told of such abuse, they too are powerless to change things. The CQC cannot investigate individual cases but if there is any suspicion of such abuse, then they will bring forward a thorough inspection of the care home and have the power to close the premises with immediate effect if evidence is found of such abuse.

I'm not sure if this is a complaint made by a relative of the person being abused or possibly a 'whistle blower'. If it is a whistle blower then please, please do contact the authorities. I could not live with myself if I had heard such filth
and abuse made to a vulnerable person who has no voice of their own to complain.
xxTinaT

Last edited:

redsquirrel

Jun 14, 2014
Firstly thank you so much for all of your responses to a complete stranger, the kindness of this portal never ceases to amaze me. I have felt so alone in this quest for a good placement for my dad. His behaviour has changed recently as he is going through bereavement, his dad died (my grandad) which complicates dementia massively. The staff at the care home know this but have failed to respond appropriately and even mocked him when he cried.

I think extra information would help responses, so here goes:

- this did happen and I managed to get a recording capturing the abuse.
- it's a care home owned by a private provider.

We just want to get him in a suitable place but I am prepared to bring this house of cards down, I am very angry with the local authority as I see these as the guardian angels, we have raised concerns twice and they have failed to see our concerns twice reporting no need to intervene. They do not know about this footage that I have caught yet, I want to go as high up as possible and bypass any bureaucracy. I want to name and shame the individuals who spoke to my dad in the way that they did and talked about sexual references about my mother to aggravate him. Are there people who take on cases like this, I am recovering from a brain haemorrhage and feel that I might not have the energy or cognitive capacity to cope with such a thing. We have had a awful year and are in desperate need of help but feel that we have suitable evidence to take this to the next level.

Thanks again.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My gut reaction, I do not know the legalities, but my gut reaction is for you to go to the police and show them your evidence

I'm so sorry you have this to deal with xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Another possibility might be to contact AgeUk or Citizens Advice and ask if they could provide someone to advocate on your behalf on an abuse case. I am so very sorry to hear about this, how awful for you but whether or he gets moved please take this up, it will be of benefit to others that these individuals are reprimanded.

I agree with others, now is not the time for the press, I would go to the care home commission or police. Good luck and please do tell us how this goes, this is so unacceptable.

Ps I googled and found this Action on Elder Abuse hotline no: 0808 808 8141 worth a ring?

Last edited:

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
If you can, I would take a copy of your evidence so that it can't "go missing" if handed over to those investigating.

jen54

May 20, 2014
I would report it to the police as you have evidence, this is disgusting :( but sadly I am sure it does on more than we think, as dementia patients are sitting targets for bullying, and of course they don't remember what has happened to them do they!!!

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Please contact the police with your evidence today. Your poor dad, and you. How dare they do this to him? :mad: There will be a section that deals with vulnerable people. CQC and social services should also be contacted and be all over this home like a rash.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
How dare they!!! :mad:

Please contact the police as the first option. They will probably work with a social services safeguarding officer but this is essentially a legal matter imo.

The safeguarding team should also look at keeping your dad safe in future, ie may talk with you about an alternative placement.

You have the evidence, please don't let them get away with it ......

You can explain that you cannot personally follow everything through ( nor should you be expected to) and an advocate should be appointed for your dad.

Good luck :)

Rooting for you xx

Lindy xx

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
How awful, my mother also suffered from abuse, although more neglect, I think in your situation I would contact the police, CQC and safeguarding would help but I've found that they try and keep anything bad from becoming public,

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
One brief point. While the recording may assist the police in initiating an investigation, your recording may be inadmissible as evidence in a criminal trial, and further evidence will be needed. This may include covert filming under the Regulation of Invetigatory Powers Act (RIPA. Also I'd suggest other readers rather than you should be careful about covert filming, or even overt filming within a nursing home, as there are legal issues of privacy of other residents.

"Bypassing bureaucracy" is a favourite theme of a few TP'ers. Actually, in this kind of issue, parts of the bureacracy can be your best ally and trying to bypass it is unlikely to help you be taken seriously. As indicated, write today to Local Authorty safeguarding team, cc your Dad's GP, cc your local police unit dealing with such issues and the CQC stating this is a SOVA issue. That pushes the right bureacratic buttons. If you can afford the £200 or so it will cost, get a solicitor - preferably one in the Mental Health Lawyers Association to do it - as it is being done for your Dad there may even be an option of public funding for this. But note that the outcome may not be the immediate move you seek but enforcement action against the home.

In addition to "thats life's" point about preventing things becoming public. as this would be a criminal and safeguarding investigation, there is a legal duty to limit the information made public at each stage of the process.

W

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I totally agree something must be done. But by whistle blowing then expect not to get any more work.............................................which makes a mockery of whistle blowing

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
How utterly terrible to know that your Dad is being treated like this. If I was in your position I would go straight to the Police. Well done for getting the evidence-but how traumatic to realise what was happening.

Ask the police who they will be contacting to investigate.

These people need locking up-it may not be just your Dad who is being abused so you could be doing a lot of good for a lot of people.

Take care and good luck

Lyn T

geum123

May 20, 2009
Oh, I can only imagine how I would have felt if this has happened to my Dad.

What absolute -------s to treat your Dad like that, and it's more than likely that they will be doing the same to other residents too.:mad:

Lots of good advice from Wirralson and others here Redsquirrel, just wanted to add my support. Good luck. xxxx