A resident punched my Mum

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dealing with resident on resident violence is always a very difficult thing. I come from the other end - my mother was the one who was physically violent. She struck many staff and residents. I did not worry unduly about the staff but I did worry about the fragility of some of the residents. Once the daughter of another resident told me my mother had slapped her mother across the face. I was relieved to find out that her mother slapped my mother back.

I always felt so embarrassed and ashamed when I would hear of these incidents.

EmilyS

May 4, 2022
Dealing with resident on resident violence is always a very difficult thing. I come from the other end - my mother was the one who was physically violent. She struck many staff and residents. I did not worry unduly about the staff but I did worry about the fragility of some of the residents. Once the daughter of another resident told me my mother had slapped her mother across the face. I was relieved to find out that her mother slapped my mother back.

I always felt so embarrassed and ashamed when I would hear of these incidents.
Thanks Canadian Joanne. I’m sure that was difficult for you.
I can relate a bit. Although Mum isn’t physically aggressive, she does say offensive things and I do feel uncomfortable about it and feel bad for the other residents who hear it.

EmilyS

May 4, 2022
Maybe worth asking them to reinstall it?
Yes, thank you Susan11.

I did make that my suggestion in one of my emails.

Just to update too - I received an email from the Care Home today asking for a meeting next week with everyone. Docs & Staff. I am happy about this and am hoping for a good outcome.

Also, just a general clarification;
I use the term Care Home to describe the Nursing Home where Mum is. (I thought they were one and the same). Technically, it’s an “Aged Care Home.”
Perhaps in the UK it’s different terminology. Not sure .

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Here, the distinction is that anywhere calling itself a nursing home has to have a nurse on the premises 24/7.

We also have EMI homes (Elderly Mentally Infirm) which are for the more challenging residents or those needing more supervision for whatever reason.

EmilyS

May 4, 2022
Here, the distinction is that anywhere calling itself a nursing home has to have a nurse on the premises 24/7.

We also have EMI homes (Elderly Mentally Infirm) which are for the more challenging residents or those needing more supervision for whatever reason.
Ah I see. Ok, thanks!

There is a RN on duty at all times in the Home that Mum’s in.