A moment of clarity

Bopmac

Jun 9, 2019
My father in law has recently gone into a care home as his wife was struggling to care for him . This was the hardest decision as a family I could possibly describe . He has been the head of the family a hard working devout family man that has taught me the values of being a good father and grandfather . My wife and I went to the care home for the first visit from any family fearing the worst , other than talking utter garbage he was upbeat and happy , said to me bloody hell you it is I haven't seen you for years even though we had about 4 days previous . He seemed to be settling in well and the staff informed us of his antics such as going into the boiler room and telling them he would have no problem seeing to it and maintaining it lol oh and taking a lawnmower into the home and pushing it up a corridor . What hit me though was that through all the fog and gibberish my wife was holding his hands and started to weep (even though she was trying her hardest to be strong and hold it in , he turned to her with tears streaming down his own face and in total clarity said "pack it in now , we have to make the most of this situation " and immediately returned to total confusion and rambling about events which we assume were throughout his childhood . Mother in law visits today and I am praying she gets a similar response as to what we got . The cruelest of diseases for the sufferer and the family . Thanks for reading .

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I'm please to hear he seems to have settled reasonably well as it's early days for him.

I understand how heart lifting it can be to see some clarity for a pwd. My OH became immobile after collapsing on christmas and spending 12 weeks in hospital. Since that time I have seen an improvement in his understanding of what is going on. It's almost as if all his brain energy and thought processes now can be directed tinto what is happening around him and not diluted by having to think of other things like putting one foot in front of the other and standing upright. Yesterday he said 'your my wife I love you & I appreciate everything you do for me'. It made my day, sometimes when tired he can sleep all day and it gets a little lonely.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Bopmac and welcome to DTP. It’s a good place to share your stories good and bad. It sounds as though your father in law is settling well into his new role as head gardener and boiler man!!

I hope your mother in law has a good visit. I know it takes some adjustment for everyone when a loved one moves into residential care but, as many on here have found, it can be a positive experience.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I think it's always a huge relief when a loved one starts to settle in new surroundings - makes having to make that very difficult decision a little bit easier to bear

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare