A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
That is lovely to hear Sylvia and I can well imagine Dhiren's happy face as he absorbed the atmosphere.

It strikes me how differently dementia affects sufferers. David who in earlier years loved the outdoor life, found he could not cope with brightness (hence sunshine) as his dementia progressed. Hence we had curtains drawn and blinds fitted in his later years at home.

Do you think it could become a routine for Dhiren to have daily time in the sunroom?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
How lovely that Dhiren enjoyed the view of the trees from the window... and lovely for you to witness his reaction, his alertness, his attention.

A change of scene indeed, and it goes to show how something so simple can stimulate and awaken feelings and thoughts deep within.

I know he doesn't like being taken outside, but visits to the sun room are another option. If we get a good autumn, the trees autumn tints would be a joy to behold.

Loo xx

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I'm a bit late here, but what a lovely photo of Dhiren.

As Loo says, remembering that Dhiren does not like going outside, your post about the sunroom surprised and delighted me. I do hope that we still have some lovely bright weather to come so that the experience might be repeated.

Mary
x

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Wonderful photo, Sylvia....yes it made me smile too. And as for your visit in the sun room....well it was a bit of a Perry Como day....." Magic Moments.... filled with love"! x.x.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And as for your visit in the sun room....well it was a bit of a Perry Como day....." Magic Moments.... filled with love"! x.x.

Funny you should say that Maureen, I put an Andy Williams CD on, not much difference between him and Pwerry Como, and the sentiments in the song were probably responsible for some of my tears.
I might take in some Andrea Bocelli and Nana Mouskouri CDs .

Because Dhiren showed some interest in the books on the table, all totally unsuitable, I have spent this evening searching for images of markets and markets stalls and the goods Dhiren used to sell.
I have printed them out and put them into a ring file for tomorrow.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I love Andrea Bocelli, you are so thoughtful making a book for Dhiren what a lovely idea I hope he enjoys looking at the market stalls ,

Jeany x

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Dhiren's reaction to seeing the trees makes me think of Vic clapping his hands with pleasure when I used to take him into the garden all those months he was in hospital.

Now at the home he is delighted to look at at the garden and wonderful views...... the saying the "best things in life are free" springs to mind.

I hope Dhiren has many more happy times in the sunroom.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Because Dhiren showed some interest in the books on the table, all totally unsuitable, I have spent this evening searching for images of markets and markets stalls and the goods Dhiren used to sell.
I have printed them out and put them into a ring file for tomorrow.

I hope I am wrong but I don't want you to be disappointed - I think the printed (or filmed) image does not feel/smell/sound/move/exist as it does in our minds. Even if the moment is right.

amicalia

Jul 9, 2011
Sussex
Just caught up finally after a busy week - wow! When I last read this I felt concerned for you and Dhiren, coming back today I see a really lovely pic of D and read about a lovely visit and Dhiren's reaction to the trees, how wonderful. So glad you have had this lovely time with him x
What Butter said about it being like the sun coming out from behind the clouds and us not knowing what brought that about or being able to replicate it, was very moving and struck a chord. All we can do is enjoy that sunshine while it is there and live in that happy moment when it comes.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Sylvia,

I've been catching up with your news with interest.

We find this sort of change with Mum. We never know, from one visit to another, how she will be. We tend to go at different times of the day so we can enjoy different parts of her routine with her.

It was lovely to see Dhiren's happy smile on your photo. He's probably happy most of the time. We can't be there 24/7 but you're certainly doing all you can to see that he's contented. I hope he can be in that sun room regularly. A change of scene is good for us all. ;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm a little late to this but that was a lovely photo of Dhiren. My eyes also welled up at his reaction in the sunroom.

Andy Williams is one of my mother's favourite singers and I cannot hear "Moon River" now without choking up.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I found authentic images of the markets Dhiren used to attend, together with easy to recognise market stalls and individual items he would have handled.

I labelled them and put them in some sort of sequence in a ring binder.

He recognised all the markets except one. Matlock market was outdoors, in his time, but now it is inside a market hall.
He related to the stalls and the items. He read some of the labelling .

The pictures made him smile.

`Keep it as a souvenir,` he said. `Don`t leave it here. Take it home.`

He knows more than I give him credit for.

I left it in his room and told the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.