A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Life is now back to normal, whatever `normal` is. I have had a wonderful week full of good experiences.

I`m pleased Helen met Dhiren and saw how contented he was.
(Attachment 12391 no longer available)

I`m pleased she was witness to a care home which graded by CQC as `Adequate`, is in fact ideal, not only for Dhiren but for all the residents. The curtains may be shabby but the attention from all staff is excellent.

We had a meal out with Paul and Julie.
(Attachment 12402 no longer available)

I`m delighted larivy and her mum were able to have a day with us.
(Attachment 12401 no longer available)

It was so good to meet her mum in person and have a few hours with both of them.

It was lovely to have a social rather than professional evening with Terry and Gayna , [ SW and CPN ] who have now become friends.

I pass a second hand furniture shop every time I visit Dhiren. There was a table I really liked but my unimaginative psyche led me to believe it needed housing in a large `Elizabethan` hall. To my surprise and delight Helen saw it as a table for the garden, so it was duly purchased and before she returned home, Helen oiled it for me. I love it.
( Attachment 12398 no longer available)

To be continued.........

Last edited by a moderator:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen was delighted to see and hear so many Parakeets in the area. Every evening she experienced what could only be described as Parakeet Sundowning. All the Parakeets were restless, flying all over the place, darting here, there and everywhere. And on a walk through the park she managed to photograph them too.
(Attachment 12403 no longer available)

We walked down more than the 39 steps to Ramsgate Beach.
(Attachment 12405 no longer available)

On Friday we went to Ramsgate Market where Helen bought a Didgeridoo. She then proceeded to embarrass me by playing it wherever she went . We were walking along the sea front and Helen kept having a little practice, when a young man offered to show her how to play it properly. He was very impressive and it gave her encouragement to continue.

A Couple were passing by with their young child and he asked me if Helen had seen a doctor.
(Attachment 12404 no longer available)

The weather was kind, Folk Week was excellent and this week was as good as having a holiday away.
Today winter seems to have arrived. It`s freezing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I have spent the last week and a half reading the posts on this thread from start to finish.
I laughed out loud and cried at times too.
The strength you have shown Sylvia is just wonderful. You must look back and wonder how you did it at times.
It has been a wonderful insight into Alzheimers for me and I have learned a lot from reading this thread. What a bond you have with Dhiran.
Thank you
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia,
What wonderful photos and summary thank you for sharing. As I did not know what a d....... was until I saw the photo it had my imagination running wild!!!!!!!

I too like your table.

Sounds like you had a fabulous time together, just lovely.

I particularly like the photo of you and Larivy. You look so happy and it is a wonderful photo all together.

Love x

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Sylvia me and my mum would like to thank you for such a great day mum really enjoyed meeting you and Helen and i really loved the ice cream:D thank you
i love the table love larivy

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
It was a wonderful 10 days Sylvia:) The care home was all that a care home should be in terms of CARE and the effects of proper CARE was evident in each of the residents. It just goes to show that fabric and furnishings are not things to go by necessarily.

Love

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I am glad that you have all had a good time. Sylvia and Helen, it is good to see you both "living" again. You are right that a care home does not need the interior design to be good, it is what is in the hearts of the carers that matters.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you so much.

Hello Nanak
I haven`t read through the Thread. I did start to but found it quite upsetting in parts and as Dhiren is so lovely now, didn`t really want to be reminded of the bad times.

Hello Winnie
I hope you are well. I haven`t seen you on line for a while. I wondered if your husband had taken a turn for the worse.
I had to laugh about your imagination re a Didgeridoo. :D
WE did have a good time. It couldn`t be faulted.

Hello larivy
It was a good day wasn`t it. Your mum is marvellous but both Helen and I, who are out of practice of 24/7 caring, appreciated all the more how tough it is for you, however much you love your mum.

Hello Helen
Shall I tell them you cleaned my house before you went home, including the kitchen windows? Now whenever I`m teased about cleaning cupboards, I`m going to remind you of this.
I haven`t had to do a thing since you left. :D
[As an explanation....Helen had time to kill before her train and all this energy which needed spending, so in between renderings of `Tie me Kangaroo down` on the Didgeridoo, she cleaned my house. ]
It was a really good time and you will always be welcome .

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sylvia thanks so much for letting us all share this snippet of your special week with Helen, have to agree with the little lad who posed the question about our lovely Helen she will be getting free private tution from Rolf Harris soon if i am not mistaken,You really do not need to venture far with all that on your doorstep, I so loved the photo of you and Larivy, think it is one of the warmest photos i have ever seen, but having met you both understand why, and that Dirhen seems so settled is just the icing on the cake, lots of love Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Pam

When I arrived at the home today a very loud arguement was taking place between a mother and daughter. It was quite prolonged and a bit frightening. The staff handled it well, took the two into another room and settled them but not before Dhiren told me to shoot them both.
The deputy manager later came to me and apologized for the disturbance.

I sat quietly with Dhiren just watching television and holding hands and he said `At least we have each other.`

I took a Taj Mahal `snowstorm` we had bought in India and three Hindu gods for his room. He has had them for ages but didn`t recognize them and protested I had spent too much money on him.

I stayed a lot longer today as he was so peaceful sitting with me, asking if I was all right, what we were having for tea, and I had no need to get home in a hurry.

Eventually I told him I should get my shopping done as it was getting late.
`Not again` he said. But he let me go.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia, I feel on reading your latest posts, that you and Dhiren have gone through the darkest of times and have rediscovered the love you share. I, for one, feel privileged that you have shared that journey with us.

Apologies if I have spoken out of turn.

My dad's home was classed as adequate. Yes the varnish on the arms of the chairs was a bit worn, but the care, warmth and empathy of the staff was worth all the varnish in the world. One of the senior carers threw out a district nurse who spoke disrespectfully about a resident. That's the kind of caring that a CQC report can't possibly convey.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
It was really lovely to read about your time together and I love the photos, the table is really nice and you will enjoy sitting at it in the future, so glad that Dhiren is happy where he is and that you and he have such quality time together, love Pauline xx

Status
Not open for further replies.