A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so good Kassy.
The syringe goes right into the mouth, no spills, no dribbles, it all goes down. And the home knows exactly how much is being taken in.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Sylvia,

What a lovely greeting you had from Dhiren to-day. Picturing it made me smile.

I was sorry to read of his problem in taking in enough fluids. There are times when Brian, too, leans so much that drinking becomes difficult but he still enjoys his large mugs of (decaf.) coffee and finishes them. Glad to see that Dhiren's CH has the situation well in hand and that they can now monitor the amount he has each time. And it is so good that Dhiren is pleased to use the syringe.

Love, Nan XXX

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
They were very worried about Dhiren`s low fluid intake .

He refuses a feeding cup.
His listing makes it impossible for him to drink from an ordinary cup without the liquid spilling.
He doesn`t have the muscle tone to drink from a straw. He can suck the liquid towards his mouth but once it gets there he cannot suck it into his mouth so it returns back down the straw.

I was asked for permission to feed him liquid throough a syringe. If I refused permission and the home fed him fluid with a syringe they would be guilty of abuse.
I gave permission.
It is the only way to avoid dehydration.

I was given a demonstration. Dhiren took the syringe into his mouth willingly and asked for more. He was pleased. It was easy for him.
Another milestone. Quote: Silvia

Hello Silvia
May I make another suggestion, iced lollies, the ones in paper that come up through a tube. Ron used a straw, it was beginning not to work, you can freeze yogurt etc, I found it worked. X
Barb X

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Sylvia, I'm sorry that Dhiren has taken a little step downhill, seemingly, but I'm glad he was pleased to see you and hadn't missed you. That was a brilliant suggestion about the water melon. I'm glad it worked so well.

Glad too, to hear about the syringe. I would say, however, that syringes need to be used with some caution. It can sometimes be a bit too easy to squirt fluids rapidly into the mouth and subject the recipient to a sudden rush of fluid that can make them choke. This happened with my mother once or twice when her Calogen was given with a syringe.

I felt that the syringe was resorted to a bit too readily by one member of staff because it was a much quicker way of getting the calogen into her. Anyway, I'm glad that Dhiren benefited from the syringe so well and found it acceptable.
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Deborah

Thanks for the warning of caution with the syringe. :)
The carers at Dhiren`s home wouldn`t dream of inserting a syringe in his mouth without introducing it first and asking him. Yesterday after 3 or 4 syringes of fluid, Dhiren said he had had enough and no pressure was put on him to take more.

I must tell you a story.

One resident Big M has taken a shine to Paul. He likes her too and never fails to have a chat with her when he visits Dhiren. She is quite sad and her family doesn`t visit.
Last Sunday when Paul visited, Big M had been taken to church. Paul asked after her.
When she returned, staff told her Paul had been. She was really disappointed she had missed him but absolutely thrilled he had asked after her.
She was telling me all about it and Dhiren said,
`Why didn`t Paul come to see me?`
At least M is a testament to Paul`s visit.
But as Paul only visits on Sundays, M has a problem. If she goes to church every Sunday she will miss Paul.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the warning of caution with the syringe. :)
The carers at Dhiren`s home wouldn`t dream of inserting a syringe in his mouth without introducing it first and asking him. Yesterday after 3 or 4 syringes of fluid, Dhiren said he had had enough and no pressure was put on him to take more.

That's excellent news. It wasn't so much the introduction of the syringe that worried me so much as the speed with which the fluid is discharged once the syringe is in the mouth. It is possible with some syringes to push the 'plunger' up the barrel quite rapidly, whether by accident or design, which releases the fluid too hastily, that's all. I'm sure the staff at Dhiren's home are excellent, they certainly sound it.
x

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m not sure what era Dhiren was in today.

When I arrived, after our customary greetings;
D `What time did you finish?`
S `About 1 o`clock.`
D `How`s school?`
S `Lovely.`
D ` It`s a good place to work, isn`t it.`
S `Yes it is.`
D `I can`t wait to go home.`
S `I know.`
D `What time is your train?`
S `About 4 o`clock.`
D `I`ll come with you.`
S `All right.`
D `Are you all right?`
S `I`m fine. Are you?`
D `I`m fine too.`
S feeling his legs, `Look at your legs. They are so skinny. And look at mine. They are so fat.`
D smiling, `You eat too much.`
S `I know I do.`
D `I can`t find my wedding ring.`
S `I have it at home. It was falling off and we were frightened you`d lose it.`
D `Good. What a relief. I thought I`d lost it. I`ve lost my watch.`
S `It doesn`t matter. It was only a cheap one. There`s a big clock on the wall. You can see the time easily.`
D `I`m not here to look at a clock on the wall.`
S `I`ll buy you a new watch. Don`t worry.`
D `When will you buy it?`
S `Tomorrow.`
D `Get me one today. Go now and get one.`
S `All right.`
And off I went.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia
Hope you got the watch.

Another good visit.

You must appreciate I am sure that Dhiren can still communicate so well with you. Personally I don't think it matters what era he is in, at least you communicate fluently, what a bonus.

Particularly as you manage all the time to keep him from getting aggitated on situations where this could so easily happen.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Love x

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sylvia i so love reading about your visits to see Dirhen and how you manage to turn what could be difficult situations around, hope you managed to buy Dirhen a watch, i love the way he is able to communicate and say go get me one now. typical man. how are you, had any luxury chocs recently, i think about you both often. love Pam

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I can't tell you how sorry I am to read of Dhiran's difficulties. You don't tell on TP of the distress and heartache you must feel seeing all this happening to the one you love and in your own courageous and practical way, you seek to find solutions for Dhiran.

We have some very brave and courageous people posting here on TP and you are one of them Sylvia.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Winnie and Pam.

I did not get the watch. :(

The watch he had was a £10 gent`s watch I bought for myself when I couldn`t see mine. It was from a famous chain which I think might have closed down. Actually if £10 watches last more than 10 years I`m not surprised they closed down.

I think I`ll be able to get one from Ramsgate market and will try to go tomorrow.

Pam.
No luxury chocs but still too much food. :eek:

Winnie.
I count my blessings every day Dhiren has language. Since he was diagnosed I`ve dreaded the thought he might go back back to his mother tomgue. It hasn`t happened yet.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Try Arg*s

Sounds like ARGOSY, Large merchant vessel;)
Barb X

PS
I do not work for them
None of my relatives work for them

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Tina

I`m trying hard not to allow myself to be too distressed by the progression of the disease, as I had a good idea from day one of the path it would take, and know there is worse to come.

Since Dhiren has been in the home he has been more settled and contented than he has ever been at home with me. I am well aware it could have come to this stage had he stiil been at home but it didn`t happen that way and I accept it .

My priority is to enjoy this time with him and make the most of what we have, knowing it can be taken without warning at any time.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello Silvia

Since Dhiren has been in the home he has been more settled and contented than he has ever been at home with me. I am well aware it could have come to this stage had he stiil been at home but it didn`t happen that way and I accept it . Quote Silvia

You are one of the first that phoned me when Ron died.
I am glad you did. Thank you.
I applogise for my remarks about care homes. So deep in my own misery, I forget about others:eek:
Head is bowed.
Sorry.
Barb X

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Sylvia,

I hope you get the watch! Dhiren sounds like my Dad, telling you to do it now. I was visiting yesterday evening and he obviously thought he was back at work. He ended up sacking me for my poor time-keeping, and I had to leave! These days I just accept whatever scenario we're acting out, so I don't get upset. When he threw me out when he lived at home, I used to be really worried about him. I suppose it's all part of trusting that his needs will be met, even if not always by me. Yesterday I just went for a chat with some of the other residents in the other lounge, then returned to Dad after half an hour and he was pleased to see me.

It's a strange journey that we're on, but I'm glad of the company along the way.

Love Sue

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I went to Ramsgate market this morning for a watch.

I asked for the cheapest watch available with a clear face and a leather strap. A metal strap would be too big, a leather starp can be adjusted.
I explained my husband was in `hospital` and I didn`t want him to have a good watch.
I was shown a very basic watch , the cheapest available , cost £45.

No thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When I arrived at the home today Dhiren was being fed mango juice with a syringe. It was so neat . Sadly I think I distracted him and after about 4 5ml syringes full he said he`d had enough.
To me he said `come on let`s go.`
I think he thinks he`s been waiting for me to pick him up once I finish work.

I took him greengages , a favourite fruit, which he didn`t want.
But he ate the chocolate.

His watch had come. He was delighted with it.

He had word finding difficulties today. I think he was tired.

He was quiet.
But he didn`t want me to talk to anyone else. Every time I engaged with anyone he pulled faces and muttered.
So I was sitting by his side and nearly falling asleep, it was so warm and quiet.

After an hour and a half I suggested I get my jobs done and he have a rest. He agreed.
He asked how long I`d be. I said `Not long`.

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
dear sylvia, im glad your visit with dhiran went well he seams so contented and so do you long may it continue, thankyou for your support sylvia i no you were where i am once upon a time so i no you understand thankyou xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Lyn

You are having a tough time right now I know and I just hope you won`t have to wait too long before it will even out .
Love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky67!