A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Sylvia

Cannot add much to what the others have said and so I a sending you lots of love.
You know where I am if you need to talk.
Love Roseann xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Me too, Sylvia. I find it amazing that you can still find time to give so much help and support to others whilst you are facing all those difficulties yourself. Take care. Izzy x

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Sylvia, you are an amazing person, strong, brave, and supremely devoted. This sadly does look like a change downwards, but dont lose faith, there will be ways to learn to cope with this. I find it unbearably sad to read of your husbands connection with you gently slipping from him, and your heart must ache with the loss. He must love you so very deeply to be concerned for you whilst he copes with his confusion. I hope that you will find the extra support and respite very soon so you can rest. A big hug and lots of love for you Sylvia. xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am at a loss to respond to so much support appropriately. `Thank you` is inadequate.

I have been trying to decide how I feel and what I want but it is impossible.
The manager of the good home will be away for a fortnight so I have time to think. When she returns, if a bed does become available she might be able to offer me a week`s respite before the room is taken by the next resident.
It gives me two weeks to see how Dhiren`s behaviour develops and whether there is an increase in his falling.

Dhiren has been restless again this evening but did not go walkabout. He took his shoes off so I took them into the bedroom and brought his slippers. He put his slippers on.
Five minutes later he left the room and returned with his shoes back on again.
This makes me fidgety. What is he planning? Is he planning, or am I becoming over anxious?
And he asked me to get him some money tomorrow. How much does he need? £500.

WE have had a sitter for four months. It has worked better than I could ever have hoped.
I can only hope for the same for the next stage.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sylvia

So sorry that it is all changing so quickly for you both, the falls are not good. Would Dhiren accept a frame, never thought my Dad would but in the end it thought it was good to get up the garden.

Although if he did would it worry you that he could wander off.

Hell for every question there is a dozen answers.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Funny Helen but when the physio visited only recently, a frame was not even mentioned although a walking stick was recommended.
I don`t know what to do for the best. He was so distant tonight, he refused all help .

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia

I cannot imagine what you must be going through just now. My heart is in my mouth as I read your thread. Just wondered though if Dhiren has just started falling, has he been checked out for infection? Mum used to fall infrequently but when the falls started we generally discovered that she had a UTI. It took a little while for us to find the correlation as she had no outward, obvious, external signs of it..it would just show up in a sample.(Once we managed to get one!)

We did discuss the walking frame with the home nurses at the time and the comments they gave me at that time were that a frame would be of use if someone had it pre-dementia but generally they had found that most people could not learn to use one as the dementia progressed because they could not find the co-ordination required. I don't know how it would be for Dhiren, but maybe this is why the physio suggested the stick instead.

(((Hugs))) to you and Dhiren.

Love

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Mameeskye, I think you are right about the frame. I`m sure if Dhiren had one he would try to pull himself up with it.

I had a phone call this afternoon from the OT/Physio from the Community Care Team. This was the person who tried to work with Dhiren but was only successful on the third attempt, and that was the occasion when Dhiren asked her help him to get away from this prison.

She needed to do some observations, BP, Blood and urine tests but she really seemed not to want to come if it would waste her time and Dhiren would refuse to co operate.

She asked what I thought. I said I could never speak for Dhiren as he was so unpredictable. I didn`t want to waste her time, but on the chance he would comply, I wanted to leave no stone unturned.

I asked if she would mind if I told Dhiren she was a nurse sent by the GP to do some tests to save him having to go to the surgery. She agreed.
He thought it was wonderful, said people were so kind and thoughtful.

She came, he cooperated in every way, she was very surprised. She was seeing a different person.
I told her I was glad she`d seen him in a more positive light.
She said it must be really hard for me.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dearest Sylvia, so glad that the appointment went well.

Now you have to play the waiting game........relentess I know.
At least you manage tp stay positive.

WE have had a sitter for four months. It has worked better than I could ever have hoped.
I can only hope for the same for the next stage.

Take care now. Love n'hugs.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We had a much easier day yesterday.
Dhiren slept all morning after exhausting himself getting bathed and dressed. While he was asleep I sat in the garden, right outside the back door, On Guard. And while I was sitting out I sewed name tapes, just in case. But it was quiet and peaceful.
After the community care person had gone Paul phoned and asked if we`d like to have dinner with them. He was making a Thai curry.
The only downer was Paul had to come for us and bring us home. I think this is the second time Dhiren has been unable to walk there.
We had no sundowning and a relatively peaceful evening.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Sylvia

Well I think if you ever needed an easier day it was yesterday;) I know it doesn't work in that we get what we need when caring for someone with these diseases but I do hope that you have an easier weekend and are able to recover a bit from the trauma of the week:)

Love x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I spoke too soon .
I can`t even go for the paper today as Dhiren is ready to go home now.
Nor can I take him with me as it is too far for him.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Sylvia

That is not a good start to your day.:( and such a shame after your better day yesterday.

Fingers crossed that something manages to distract Dhiren and you both have a calmer time of it.

Love Carina x x x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I hope that your afternoon was better than the morning Sylvia. It really is the daily 'grind' of it. There is never a moment in the day when you can relax and say, 'It's going to be OK for the next few hours'. Things change hour by hour don't they.

xxTinaT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMK