A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Hazel

We checked Dhiren`s blood glucose levels regularly but not in the way they are being checked on the ward.

He is having random checks , 4 times daily. When I check them I do then morning, noon, evening and bedtime, as I was told.

There is a possibility the glucose levels are being affected just by Dhiren being an in-patient, lack of exercise, sadness, different routine, no fresh air. So from now on he will be monitored regularly by the community diabetic team, even after discharge.

The pamper session was wishful thinking. I hope Dhiren`s discharge from the assessment ward isn`t wishful thinking.

:)
Thank you Paris.
I hope you are much better now after your surgery in January. How is your mother?

:)
Thank you Christine.

Last edited:

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Sylvia - I've been following your trials and tribulations with Dhiren since joining TP a few weeks ago. I was really shocked when I read what had happened recently. I do hope they get his meds sorted out soon.
Diet and diabetes can cause chaos and it's strange that you haven't been given that information before. As a chiropodist that started me wondering whether anyone has mentioned the importance of caring for the feet when you're diabetic? Does Dhiren have regular chiropody / podiatry checks?
Meanwhile, I can only echo what everyone else is saying and hope that you soon have a calmer, happier Dhiren back home with you.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
So from now on he will be monitored regularly by the community diabetic team, even after discharge. [/QUOTE}

That's really good news. With that and your Admiral nurse, you're at last going to get the support you need.

The pamper session was wishful thinking. I hope Dhiren`s discharge from the assessment ward isn`t wishful thinking.

Of course the pamper session was wishful thinking -- for me as well. I don't think I'd relax eneough to enjoy it anyway.

But try to stay positive about Dhiren's discharge. He's obviously being closely monitored, and if they can possibly sort things out, they will.

And I'm sure everyone on TP is rooting for you both. How could he not come home?:)

Love,

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dear Sylvia
Only just caught up with your thread. So sorry to hear of yours and Dhiren's tribulations, what an awful time for you both. We had a similar situation with Mum and admission to an assessment unit. She did come home to us. I'm heartily wishing the same outcome for you and Dhiren. Take care of yourself, best wishes and hugs to you, Dhiren and Paul.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello ChrisH

:)Dhiren has three monthy podiatry at our local health centre. And I`m well aware of the importance of a good diet for diabetics.

I will admit to a few more treats since Dhiren has been diagnosed with AD, after all food is one of the few pleasures he has left.

What I did not know, and what no-one told us, is confusion can be an effect of poorly controlled diabetes. If I had known that, the treats would have been much smaller and more infrequent.

Hazel. ;)
With that and your Admiral nurse, you're at last going to get the support you need.
They`ll be queueing up at the door. I`m so pleased and grateful.

May :)
Thank you so much.

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Feet

Sylvia - I'm really pleased to hear that. Where I am some of my diabetic patients only get to see the NHS pod. once or twice a year, and if a non-diabetic person can't reach their feet properly and can't afford private treatment - tough, there's no way they'll get NHS treatment at all.

As for the diabetes/food/confusion/changing personality thing, we were told a funny story while doing a first aid course. A vicar's wife was doing her vicar's wiferly thing at a garden party at the vicarage when her blood sugar levels went haywire. She suddenly started behaving badly and was swearing like a trooper. Fortunately someone realised what was happening and gave her a biscuit or something and within minutes she was smiling politely and pouring tea again for some rather astonished WI ladies as if nothing had happened.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Chris

I am not diabetic but cannot see well enough to cut my toenails.

I am not eligible for nail cutting at the Health Centre, but would be eligible for any other treatment should my feet need it.

I go to the local Age Concern Day Centre to have my nails cut. It costs £5.50p which is much less expensive than a podiatrist.

I don`t know if similar help is available nationwide but it might be worth enquiring.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sylvia,
How did Dhiren fare today? I feel for you - I know how hard it is to have a loved one going in hospital as Dhiren did. It's such a toxic cocktail of emotions - grief, guilt, sadness, horror.

You've done the very best you could. Now it's just waiting until Dhiren comes home. And he will - I feel it in my bones. He's not ready to go into care yet and you are not ready for that either.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning at 9.15am. a phone call from the ward.
Dhiren had been very upset last night and was still upset this morning. He wanted to go home.
I spoke to him, told him I would see him soon and he was then much better.

But I was in pieces.

This afternoon Paul and I went to visit. I felt sick with anxiety.
Dhiren seemed in a daze. He sat with Paul whilst the ward sister took me into her office.

They experienced sundowning last night.
He wanted to go home.
He wanted them to phone for a taxi.
He wanted them to phone me.
He wanted them to phone his son.
He tried to open the door, the door was locked.
It was an infringement of his human rights.
They had to keep him safe.
He became very angry.
He became very tearful.
He refused his food.
They gave him milk.
He settled down after about 45 minutes.

He started again this morning.
He was all right after he`d spoken to me.

I told the ward sister that`s how he is.

She was concerned......not about us taking him out, but about us taking him back. We were concerned too. It was our choice.

We talked for a while. I asked why his bed had to be raised almost to shoulder height. She said it was to make it easier for the bed to be made.
The doctor, yesterday afternoon, had said it was to discourage patients from sleeping on the bed during the day.
I told her he was nervous about the bed.
She said if he wanted to lie down he only had to ask if he could have a lie down.
I said he did not need to lie down during the day. He never lies down on the bed during the day.
He is a person who always looked ahead, he was concerned for bed time, he couldn`t understand why this bed was so high.
He was worried he would have to climb on a chair to get in the bed. He was worried he would fall out of the bed during the night. He was worried if he needed to get up in the night he would not be able to get out of the bed.
I asked if the bed could be left at a normal height. She agreed.

We decided we would try to take him out. He agreed. It was pouring with rain so we went to a cafe.
He recognised the shopping area. He said,`I haven`t been here for a long time. We used to come here every week.`
We had a fair walk from the car park to the cafe. He was fine.
There was no food suitable for a diabetic and he was hungry. He had tea and a Danish pastry. He enjoyed it. We finished.
We walked back to the car.
He said, `I haven`t been here for a long time. We used to come here every week.`

Paul drove back to the hospital. He parked the car, we walked to the ward, rang the bell, the door was opened, we went in.
We went to his room, the bed had been lowered.
He took off his outdoor clothes, took his shoes off and put his slippers on. We went to the sitting area, we sat down, he looked tired.
I said I thought we should go, and let him have a rest. He agreed. We kissed him goodbye and he waved to us as we left.

This was Day 2 on Amisulpiride.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Sylvia,
How are you feeling now? Has the visit reassured you...or are you still anxious? It is so good that Dhiren responds positively to you on the telephone when sundowning.
Thinking of you.
Love Helen

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I asked if the bed could be left at a normal height. She agreed.

Sylvia: It is good (in a way) to read your post! Things were better than you expected - I am so pleased your discussions went well. YOU understand Dhiren - they don't but it seems they are doing their best. I have not heard of the drug you mentioned but it seems right for him so far.

Do you feel more optimistic now??

After a day like today I hope you can indulge in something this evening - drink, fattening high in cals food or just plain sleep.:)

Take care Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Helen and Jan

I have very mixed feelings.

I will not be afraid to take Dhiren out tomorrow by myself. I did not have the distress of leaving him in tears. I didn`t leave in tears.

Paul and I aren`t sure whether Dhiren`s compliance was due to tiredness or the new drug.

I suppose I feel better than I felt last night. I certainly feel better than I felt this morning.

Love xx

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Mixed feelings....mixed feelings are good:)...cos there are good amongst the bad. Maybe the compliance was due to a bit of both. I dont remember the name of the drugs mum was put on to calm the sundowning....I know she became compliant...with hindsight too much so....but it meant she could stay at home. They are hard decisions that we have to make.
Try and chill tonight Sylvia...Dhiren is safe, so are you.
Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Helen.

I do want Dhiren home.
He is far too early into dementia to be in a Residential Home. But the sundowning and the one episode of violence are draining and a bit of passivity would make life so much easier.
For both of us.
Love xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia,

That sounds so much more positive than yesterday. :)

Were the ward staff surprised at and unable to deal with Dhiren's sundowning and looking to you for answers or am I misinterpreting your post? Surely this is expected behaviour from an AD sufferer and they should know how to deal with this.

It is sounding more and more and more that the incident with the knife was a one off and unlikely to be repeated, but I understand you need to find out what triggered such an extreme reaction to avoid it happening again.

Unfortunately the news is not so positive about my Dad, but I won't divert your thread, but will post a new thread when I have sorted my head out. :(

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sylvia

I'm so glad your outing went so much better than you feared.

Good news too that the ward staff are listening to you -- and acting on what you say.:)

I suppose it's too early to tell, but it would be wonderful if the new medication is working.

Calm would be so good -- for you both! Hopefully he'll soon be home with you.

Love,

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Sylvia
Glad you are feeling a little better and I hope things go well for you.
I know where you are coming from with the sundowning as my hubby puts me through it most days, we can have a good day but around five he starts to get anxious about going to bed, where he is going to sleep, which side of the bed he sleeps on, has he locked all the doors,has he closed the windows and so on.
All this is making it difficult to get him to go into respite as he is so scared of going to bed and I am worrying about leaving him in such a state.
I do hope Dhiren`s problems are soon sorted.
Much love to you all
Roseann

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Were the ward staff surprised at and unable to deal with Dhiren's sundowning and looking to you for answers or am I misinterpreting your post? Surely this is expected behaviour from an AD sufferer and they should know how to deal with this.

:(

I don`t understand this Sue.
There is some confusion over the cause of sundowning and it seems the diabetes is being held more responsible than the dementia.
And yet sundowning is such a common symptom of dementia and not all sundowners are diabetic.
But these people are dementia trained and dementia experienced. They should know best.
Time will tell.

I am so sorry the news looks bad for your father.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Sylvia,

Am reading your thread again, do so hope all goes well for you.

For interest, Dee would never take capsules and so missed out on the Reminyl treatment, However the consultant at the clinic has prescribed a liquid form and have passed this to the nurses at the Home. Don't remember its name but it's a hopeful development.

I do wish you, Dhiren and Paul everything good for the coming days.

Love from,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sylvia, am glad that you had a more positive day. Remember to take things slowly though, with no major expectations. That way you appreciate better any slight improvement.

The medication that Dhiren is now on is one that worked well for Lionel when he had a similar episode. Fingers crossed for both of you.

Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. Take care now.

Status
Not open for further replies.