A day in the life of .... on a rainy Sunday

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Many of you might recognise a day like this.
Get up and supervise my Piglet's (ref. Selfish Pig's Guide....) showering while at the same time running up and down stairs microwaving the porridge for breakfast and then helping him to dress while the porridge is cooling.
Can check emails and TP if extend breakfast by making him a cup of coffee (decaff).
Leave him pottering downstairs (e.g. pinging on guitar strings, he doesn't know how to play but it keeps him occupied for a short time) while I grab a shower and clean the bathroom.
Put TV on for him in hope it will interest him - it doesn't but he nods off for10 mins.
Get him another coffee.
We have a game of indoor skittles - neither of us are very good but he seems to enjoy it.
I hoover upstairs quickly then give him the hoover to do downstairs - it won't be done very well but keeps him occupied (you'll be getting the picture by now)
Make lunch - I finish mine quickly so I can chat to my daughter on the phone while he's busy eating
We walk to the local shops for milk and newspaper. He wants to carry on to the park but I'm not risking it as I can see the walk has tired him.
Get him another coffee and snack (he won't drink anything except decaff coffee and a few sips of water through the day)
I sit down and try to read the newspaper but he's not having it - he wants my attention, wants to 'talk'. He's asking me what he can do. By now I'm tired so I snap at him that I'm reading and can't spend my whole day trying to find things for him to do (of course I know there's no point in telling him that because he doesn't understand) - he flips to angry mode and jumps up, stalks out of the room and up the stairs. He's back down again soon, out of angry mode but sulky now, sits down, hangs head and closes eyes. So I manage to read the paper for a while.
I try phoning my mum but he comes and stands by me and keeps saying 'can I talk', meaning he wants me to listen to him, I say I'm on the phone, he just stands there like a child waiting for me to talk to him. I give up talking to mum.
I put washing on then ironing board up, he insists on helping with the ironing (honestly!) so I give him a couple of towels and pillow cases but can't risk anything else as it ends up more creased after ironing than before.
Now he's wandering round picking things up and putting them down again. I've got to wash up and start making dinner. He's wandering around the sitting room and I can hear him muttering away to himself along the lines of 'I've got nothing', 'no-one looks after me', 'what can I do' and other stuff that I can't really hear but is really irritating because it's all negative, feeling sorry for himself stuff. I try to tune it out because I really just want to shout at him to be quiet.
Every now and then he'll come into the kitchen to see what I'm doing.
We have dinner, he's always happy to eat. Then he says 'can you help me', I listen somewhat impatiently because I have no idea what he wants help with, what he's saying to me makes no sense whatsoever.
So now I'm typing this and he's sitting next to me talking nonsense but all of a sudden he thanks me for everything I do for him - weird as that is so unusual, but nice to hear. I put on the TV programme about the Galapagos islands, he's quite enjoying it but talks all the way through it about how he's been there and he used to dive there all the time ..... he hasn't been there.
Interuption to the writing because he wants to go to the toilet so I have to show him the way, then have to flush the toilet, clean poo off the seat, pick up soiled toilet paper from the floor and nag him to wash his hands.
So that's our fun Sunday ...... but writing about it has been therapeutic!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
You have to experience a day with dementia to appreciate the stress and the occasional sweet moments like your man's thanks for what you do. My partner told the agency carer she met Frank Sinatra, but she had only been listening to his CD yesterday. So good to read that getting it off your chest helped, @White Rose.