91 year old carer, my mum, needs rest, but remains on 24/7 watch.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I began a thread on how to feed my dysphagic 96 year old father, but my 91 year old mother's shocking weight loss and exhaustion suddenly even more a worry to me.

She has always curled her hair every night, kept her house nicely, been a delight in conversation, being a writer, artist, intellectual and spirited, but is now "running the ship" 24/7, by sleeping in a cot in the hall, so she can watch my dad in his hospital bed in the living room.
She is self funding. Their savings are vanishing with the sets of carers that storm in daily to wash, dress, hoist, etc. my father, in late stage dementia.

I am now shocked at her appearance, -her face has a bruise that hasn't vanished in 5 months, and a cut that will not heal, her body is tiny, bent, -skin and bone. She looks shrunken and frail. My father's dementia has consumed her in the last years. He is now barely able to talk, incontinent, bed-bound- although we insist the carers put him on the recliner chair for 3 hours a day. He is dysphagic, so my mother spends hours preparing things for him to eat, which he will often refuse- and in feeding him. He is beautiful and unlined. He looks 30 years younger.

I feel now that she is the one who needs saving.
When my father dies, I want her to have money left, not have spent up the house. I want her to have choice in where and how she lives, but saving her health now is critical!
I have been visiting from America, having overstayed my 6 mos for two years now, so that I will not be allowed into the country again, when I leave in a month.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
So sad and hard for you to watch whileaway she needs a rest from all this, could your father go into a nursing home to give her some respite or have carers over night so she gets a good nights sleep also she needs to been seen by a doctor as regards her weight loss sounds like she's rather run down for one reason or another ..

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Badger8496

Apr 18, 2017
West Lothian, Scotland
How sad with you being so far away and having to worry about your Mum.
Sounds like she really needs help. I would start with the GP see what they say and take it from there, your Mum needs to have reasonable health too.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
If your mum has had a bruise that won't go away and a cut that won't heal, I think she needs to see her GP immediately. Considering her weight loss as well, I think she needs a thorough work up.

Your dad sounds like he should be in a nursing home and I can't imagine how your mother has coped for so long.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
So sad and hard for you to watch whileaway she needs a rest from all this, could your father go into a nursing home to give her some respite or have carers over night so she gets a good nights sleep also she needs to been seen by a doctor as regards her weight loss sounds like she's rather run down for one reason or another ..

Thanks. I think she might consider him for a week in a respite home, if it wasn't so expensive. (She visited him for 6weeks in the hospital, and it was like camping out- but at least she slept in her own bedroom, not a cot by the front door, and so she slept.)
We have carers in all day, and it is expensive, but a week of respite care would be twice that.
And she couldn't let a stranger sleep in the house.
But you are right, what is the alternative? She needs more help, -needs rest, but she is frugal, and stubborn, and conscientious.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
If your mum has had a bruise that won't go away and a cut that won't heal, I think she needs to see her GP immediately. Considering her weight loss as well, I think she needs a thorough work up.

Your dad sounds like he should be in a nursing home and I can't imagine how your mother has coped for so long.

Actually, her cut Is healing. Thank goodness.
My father would die in a nursing home! We are working hard to keep him safe and fed and also give him love, and not part with him just yet. He says he is happy, when we ask, although my mother says that he wants to please us. He is a dear.
I can't passively watch the carers work on him. Most of what they do is good- but they make awful mistakes, and they cut corners, and never try to relate to him. A care home sounds a nightmare with such care. He was so glad to escape hospital.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
How sad with you being so far away and having to worry about your Mum.
Sounds like she really needs help. I would start with the GP see what they say and take it from there, your Mum needs to have reasonable health too.

I don't think she can do it without me. She is absolutely in charge, but I do what she needs me to do. Business and technology are beyond her. Lately I ask if she won't sleep in her bedroom and let me do a little night duty. She needs to not be woken, but she says it is the best time to connect with him, as he is lonely in the long nights, and wants to see her.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Many people with dementia improve when they go into a nursing home - and it sounds as though a nursing rather than a Care home would be more suitable for your father - so please don't discount the idea. Your mother would still be caring but just not so hands-on and she will be able to have some rest. She can still visit every day, I did.
I don't think you can compare the care in the home with that in a residential situation.
I hope for the sake of her health that your mother will consider it.
Yes, it costs but your mother will be left with some money and the house and her savings will not be affected.

Last edited:

Badger8496

Apr 18, 2017
West Lothian, Scotland
Hi whileaway, your Mum must be exhausted and you too with all the worries that you have just now. Having carers can be difficult and some are not terribly caring. We are lucky with regular ones that are really kind to my husband, but sometimes we might get ones that rush in and out and you just know things are not right. I can't manage on my own as I am arthritic and get about on crutches and my husband along with the dementia is severely disabled. My heart goes out to you all, it's dreadful..

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi whileaway
I don't think she can do it without me. She is absolutely in charge, but I do what she needs me to do. Business and technology are beyond her. Lately I ask if she won't sleep in her bedroom and let me do a little night duty. She needs to not be woken, but she says it is the best time to connect with him, as he is lonely in the long nights, and wants to see her.
I am concerned that you and your mother are so caught up in focussing on caring for your father and meeting his needs that you are blinkered to the fact that no-one can actually do that
you are leaving in a month and will not be allowed back, you say - but you also say that your mum cannot care for your dad without you
something has to give and it sounds as though it will be your mother - in one way, as a reasoning adult, that is her choice to make - in another, it is such a shame that you and she will not consider a move to a care/nursing home, I suggest for both of them, but at least for your father
home care visits even a live in carer can alleviate the situation, but your mum will continue just as she is, it seems to me - and her current state is causing you grave concern - from my experience with dad, the support provided in a good home is very different from that which can be offered during home visits (and dad had some lovely dedicated home carers: I guess we have been fortunate)
yes, there are poor care homes but in no way are all below par - whatever care is provided in whatever location, I don't think you will accept as good enough - some acceptance of 'good enough' will have to be made
maybe a respite stay for both of them will give your mum a chance to relax her hold on your father's care and allow a team of carers (including a cook) to support him, while she monitors his welfare and recuperates herself
money is an issue, it always is, but you say it is disappearing in paying for the current situation, at least spent this way, both will be safe and looked after, and your mother may get much more sleep - seems better to spend now to make them both comfortable, rather than hold back in the hope your mother gets to live well an unknowable time in the future
apologies if I am completely misreading your posts
yours is a nigh on impossible situation
I wish you all well

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My father would die in a nursing home! We are working hard to keep him safe and fed and also give him love, and not part with him just yet. He says he is happy, when we ask, although my mother says that he wants to please us. He is a dear.
I can't passively watch the carers work on him. Most of what they do is good- but they make awful mistakes, and they cut corners, and never try to relate to him. A care home sounds a nightmare with such care. He was so glad to escape hospital.

Sadly this is one of those situations where what your mum and dad want and what they need are two entirely different things. You want your dad to stay at home with your aged mum to care for him. You are not going to be around to be available to help and I think you need to be weighing up the needs of both your parents. Apart from her injuries which are now healing, you said she is also losing weight which should be a major concern and should be under investigation.

At their age, there is a distinct probability that sadly one of them could die very soon and then you are faced with what to do then. If your mother had a fall and ended up in hospital, who would care for your dad then? I know it is a hard decision to make but you should be giving as much consideration to your mum as you are your dad.

I can't see how she can cope at her age and to be honest I think it is unfair to expect her to do so. Maybe the carers don't do things the way you think they should but any help is better than expecting your mum to do it all.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

Please don't be terrified of care homes. My husband lived in one for the last two years. I saw the care he received and the people who worked there were warm and loving to both of us.

Television tends to dramatise so much of what these people do. I've seen some of what they show and it's dreadful. But not all homes are like that. Ours was full of professional, caring people who had hearts of gold behind their uniforms.

I'm shocked to read someone of 91 years' old is living in this atrocious situation. Having people in to help is better than your Mum having to cope alone, but she really ought to see a GP and get herself sorted out. She's tired, and needs someone to give her some health support. I do hope this is resolved for all your sakes. You must be so worried.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I agree with Chuggalug about Care Homes. My husband is now somewhere that takes better care than I would be able to, and they are caring of me too. When I visit him, they sit me down and bring us a tray of tea, and if I'm there at mealtimes they offer me a meal! Last year I lost a lot of weight and became poorly enough for our family to be very worried. If I had carried on trying to manage at home I'm not sure I would be here now...and where would that have left my husband?

So him going to a care home has been good for both of us, I can spend as much time with him as I wish, and our family, all busy and very often abroad, doesn't have to worry.

I hope you can persuade your mother to see a different solution to her pushing herself into what could be a very nasty situation indeed.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
She is self funding. Their savings are vanishing with the sets of carers that storm in daily to wash, dress, hoist, etc. my father, in late stage dementia.

I have been visiting from America, having overstayed my 6 mos for two years now, so that I will not be allowed into the country again, when I leave in a month.

Any care costs should be coming from your Dad's money only, not your Mum's. There should have been a Financial Assessment of your Dad's income and savings only. Your Mum should not be contributing from her own income/savings. Also - is your Dad getting higher rate Attendance Allowance? This is not means tested.

Your Dad will not die just because he moves in to a care home setting. But it is highly likely that one of your parents will die or become seriously ill if the status quo is allowed to continue, particularly when you have gone in a month's time and are not around to help out.

I feel for your situation. I think you are going to have to make some realistic and hard decisions very soon.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Hi whileaway, your Mum must be exhausted and you too with all the worries that you have just now. Having carers can be difficult and some are not terribly caring. We are lucky with regular ones that are really kind to my husband, but sometimes we might get ones that rush in and out and you just know things are not right. I can't manage on my own as I am arthritic and get about on crutches and my husband along with the dementia is severely disabled. My heart goes out to you all, it's dreadful..

Yes, it is rather strange and terrible. My mother finds little compensations, like the new tenderness she feels for him, deep like you would for a baby, and yet he is a husband, and is kind as a husband, by laying quietly in a wet nappy, or with an ache, when she says she must get back to sleep. He adores her, and will tell me about structural engineering, a memory resurfacing, and tell her, how beautiful she is.
Of course, his speech is very restricted. He sleeps most of the time, too.
My heart goes out to You.
How hard it is. I hope there are some compensations and blessings for you two.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Any care costs should be coming from your Dad's money only, not your Mum's. There should have been a Financial Assessment of your Dad's income and savings only. Your Mum should not be contributing from her own income/savings. Also - is your Dad getting higher rate Attendance Allowance? This is not means tested.

Your Dad will not die just because he moves in to a care home setting. But it is highly likely that one of your parents will die or become seriously ill if the status quo is allowed to continue, particularly when you have gone in a month's time and are not around to help out.

I feel for your situation. I think you are going to have to make some realistic and hard decisions very soon.

Well, you sound like my uncles, who said this 2 years ago, and then last year, and have washed their hands of us in disgust.
But we have made a decision. My mother will sell the house and live near my brother, in a house he is making ready for them. It is in America, and they haven't lived there in sixty years! My brother has a dysfunctional relationship- lots of shouting and acrimony- with his spouse, and my mother won't have public transport, or an easy walk to shops, but there is a thriving Catholic Church nearby, and she is very religious. My brother has carers in place, and medical centers not too far away. He will be within sight. She can make choices from there.
My mother fears being in a care home, however nice it might be, with her children away in another country.
She fears losing their savings. Hers and my fathers are the same, as she was a stay at home wife.
We did get my father an attendance allowance. They also receive the old age pension and national health. If only they had children here! They have loved this place.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I really don't understand the obsession with savings I'm afraid, especially in someone who is of that age. Surely savings should be used for the benefit of those that have made those savings in preparation for their old age and that is your parents. Whatever savings are held jointly would be split between the two so all of them would not be lost.
However, it seems your decison is made and I hope it works out well for everyone though it seems a big move for someone with dementia. Good luck.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Gosh, what a huge undertaking. I wish you and your family well with the move of your parents to the USA. There are some member of TP who live in America and who, I'm sure, will be able to provide you with pertinent info.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Well, you sound like my uncles, who said this 2 years ago, and then last year, and have washed their hands of us in disgust.
But we have made a decision. My mother will sell the house and live near my brother, in a house he is making ready for them. It is in America, and they haven't lived there in sixty years! My brother has a dysfunctional relationship- lots of shouting and acrimony- with his spouse, and my mother won't have public transport, or an easy walk to shops, but there is a thriving Catholic Church nearby, and she is very religious. My brother has carers in place, and medical centers not too far away. He will be within sight. She can make choices from there.
My mother fears being in a care home, however nice it might be, with her children away in another country.
She fears losing their savings. Hers and my fathers are the same, as she was a stay at home wife.
We did get my father an attendance allowance. They also receive the old age pension and national health. If only they had children here! They have loved this place.

Have you considered the implications of actually getting them there? A fit to fly certificate for one? It will cost thousands to complete this move.
And for what?

You were adamant he was coming home from hospital, everyone said it was near on impossible for your mother to care for him at the time. 2 carer 4 times a day- you didn't want that- and now your mum is on her knees!

Want it or not, they both need nursing home care where they reside now.And soon

Who is going to steer the ship when you return to the US next month? What happen when you make your daily phone call and no one answers?

Last edited:

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Are your parents still US citizens?I don't know much about the system over there but am pretty sure there will be some hefty financial implications in providing the level of care they are likely to need.Don't want to be flippant but at their ages what exactly do they need savings for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023