80 year old mum just diagnosed with Alzheimer’s

Joeytoad

Nov 23, 2023
Mum has been displaying memory issues for the last 2 years . She’s just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Luckily me and one of my sisters live nearby to help . Mum is upset and “embarrassed “ about her diagnosis. She is seems to be suddenly declining . We are all feeling sad , a bit lost and overwhelmed. And know it’s going to get a lot worse .

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Joeytoad.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis. It’s going to be hard for all of you but it’s so good that you’ve found this forum. You’re bound to be feeling overwhelmed and lost at the moment. This is a place you can come to for support and understanding. Just ask anything, share how you feel and your concerns. You’ll always find someone here to listen.

Joeytoad

Nov 23, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Joeytoad.

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis. It’s going to be hard for all of you but it’s so good that you’ve found this forum. You’re bound to be feeling overwhelmed and lost at the moment. This is a place you can come to for support and understanding. Just ask anything, share how you feel and your concerns. You’ll always find someone here to listen.

Joeytoad

Nov 23, 2023
Thanks so much for your understanding response Izzy . I’ve told mum she shouldn’t feel “embarrassed “ as she puts it , about her diagnosis , but she’s a very private person and doesn’t want to tell people . I told her that a few years ago nobody talked about mental health issues , and the menopause,or eating disorders but as more famous people go public with issues such as these, and dementia , the more normalised it becomes .

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I wondered if you would find this helpful at all. There’s a link to The Dementia Guide in it -

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me also @Joeytoad to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read of your Mum's recent diagnosis. Yes, it's tough to deal with, even if you were half expecting it.
I know you will get support, sound advice and understanding from members on here that really do want to help... and please do also use it when you perhaps need to let off a bit of steam.