1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. byrnedjp

byrnedjp Registered User

Mar 21, 2013
    London
    My Uncle has been in poor health for 5 years now and I have been his Full Time Carer throughout - He became markedly weaker and unsteady just prior to Christmas last year - I got the GP to visit and he took Blood and Urine Tests - the results of which showed no major cause for concern - His appetite worsened mid December and the GP visited again - a brief examination and chat with my Uncle (who was lucid and responsive to all the GPs questions - nothing out of the ordinary) resulted in the GP asking me to pick up some Forms from the Surgery the following Day.

I picked up a 2nd generation A4 Photocopy explaining that my Uncle was in "end of life" care

No explanation from the GP - No follow up Phone Call - Nothing

All in the week up to Christmas

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I am so sorry byrnedjp. Doctors can sometimes be so thoughtless that it is breathtaking.

My mum passed away a few weeks ago. She had not eaten or drunk anything for 17 days before she died, but remained lucid and recognised me right up until her last couple of days. I have a photo taken 4 days before the end, but to look at it you would not believe that she was actively dying - it shows her with her grandson, both banging teaspoons on the table and laughing!

3. byrnedjp

byrnedjp Registered User

Mar 21, 2013
    London
    #3 byrnedjp, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Canary

Thank you for your reply

Indeed it is breathtaking and not uncommon, and it heightens the isolation and lack of support as a Carer

Like a fool I imagined "end of life" care would involve a more sympathetic and professional approach from District Nurses, Social Workers. GPs and all those involved with my Uncle and I - sadly its as poor as it has been from the start

I am sorry to hear of your loss

Best Wishes