5 Years

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
My Uncle has been in poor health for 5 years now and I have been his Full Time Carer throughout - He became markedly weaker and unsteady just prior to Christmas last year - I got the GP to visit and he took Blood and Urine Tests - the results of which showed no major cause for concern - His appetite worsened mid December and the GP visited again - a brief examination and chat with my Uncle (who was lucid and responsive to all the GPs questions - nothing out of the ordinary) resulted in the GP asking me to pick up some Forms from the Surgery the following Day.

I picked up a 2nd generation A4 Photocopy explaining that my Uncle was in "end of life" care

No explanation from the GP - No follow up Phone Call - Nothing

All in the week up to Christmas

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry byrnedjp. Doctors can sometimes be so thoughtless that it is breathtaking.

My mum passed away a few weeks ago. She had not eaten or drunk anything for 17 days before she died, but remained lucid and recognised me right up until her last couple of days. I have a photo taken 4 days before the end, but to look at it you would not believe that she was actively dying - it shows her with her grandson, both banging teaspoons on the table and laughing!

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Canary

Thank you for your reply

Indeed it is breathtaking and not uncommon, and it heightens the isolation and lack of support as a Carer

Like a fool I imagined "end of life" care would involve a more sympathetic and professional approach from District Nurses, Social Workers. GPs and all those involved with my Uncle and I - sadly its as poor as it has been from the start

I am sorry to hear of your loss

Best Wishes

Last edited: