4 weeks in a good nursing home - am I now having a breakdown??

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
I've posted on here a few times especially the past 2 years.
My husband (73) was finally diagnosed with PCA in 2018 . He had to stop work in 2013, I (now 68) carried on for a while, then part time then stopped entirely in 2016 as he wasn't very safe at home,leaving the front door open, turning hobs on in the kitchen and was on a sudden but intense reckless gambling spree...
So we managed, he had a brief period of psychosis, he developed total aphasia and has no language. We got out and about every day twice in the car and to the park then last October he stopped being able to get in the car. November he fell a couple of times badly, backwards on the stairs, and became confined to upstairs. He became doubly incontinent quite suddenly.
Upstairs was not sustainable as the shower room is downstairs and he could not get into the bath upstairs so personal care/washing became very fraught and he became violent, at the very least using horrible force to twist my wrists.
We - it was for me really - had a blissful month of respite late January then Adult Social Care sought a permanent placement for him with no uptake - a couple of care homes with poor QCC reports, until another care home where he actually went for 4 days until my son visited him and found him with numerous deep scratches, scabbing wounds on his arms, wearing a ripped T shirt so brought him home the next day.
There followed a very frightening incident when he grabbed and squeezed my throat...after which we had a 3x daily male carer to support. Until a place in a nursing home was found for him where he has been for 4 weeks.
it's nice, it's organised, most staff seem really lovely, I or my sons visit him on alternate days and mostly get a good impression of feeling.
So why do I now feel I am having a breakdown? I used to manage to squeeze in a quick shower or hair wash even if it was in the middle of the night. I barely slept more than a couple of hours at a time for several years but now when I can, I can't sleep. I was desperate to get a grip on our home which in certain areas has been systematically trashed (door handles broken, cupboards kicked in, curtain rails ripped off, wash basin broken off the wall...) But I actually find I'm just sitting feeling anxious most of the time waiting for the phone to ring from the nursing home. I've cleared some cupboards out, chucked stuff away, been to the council dump twice, sorted out some paperwork then got overwhelmed by financial stuff.
I think I'm getting worse not better.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read about your situation @annieka 56.

You have come through so much I’m not surprised that you feel as you do now. Even though your husband has gone into care I think you are certainly experiencing carer breakdown. I know it’s a massive cliche but please just take one day at a time. Try not to beat yourself up about not doing things. If you want someone to talk to perhaps you could consider the Alzheimer’s Society Companion Calls service -

It might also be an idea to see if you can get an appointment with your GP. They may be able to refer you to a counselling service.

Please keep posting here. People will understand what you're going through.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Caring can be hard, been on here for something over 10 years now, wife first then mum too. Hard as it was sitting alone in an empty house is harder.
I'm not afraid to use the word lonely, that's what it is, I have no family locally I can go all day and talk to no one, I think some form of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is the nearest way to describe it. K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@annieka 56 , whilst you have been run ragged caring for your husband, your brain has put your emotions on hold so that you can cope. Now you don’t have the stress of his day to day care and you know he is safe and well cared for it’s time to process all those feelings and emotions that were on hold. You are going to feel strange and different and you need to give yourself some time to grieve and settle into this new situation. I agree with @Izzy that it would be a good idea to see your GP. Once I had my mum finally settled in a new nursing home after she was sectioned, I fell to pieces. I have always been a coper but this time I just couldn’t bounce back. I’m so glad I spoke with my GP as I in a much better place now, I just needed some time. Take care of yourself. X

nearlyoutofmydepth

Jul 3, 2024
You have my total empathy! You are not alone.
My mum (93) has been in a care home now for 18 months.
Prior to care home, I spent lots of my time keeping her company, took her on holidays etc.
First home (mum's choice as she knew 2 people that had lived there) carers were kind but new management appalling - no activities, rotten food, she felt isolated. I had not long retired (68 now) so visited her every day. My sister and I organised sale of mum's house, investing her money etc. What a nightmare!
All the things my mum wanted to keep - clothing she'd bought on a whim, ornaments etc. are all stored in my little house.
In between I started ripping out all sorts at home with full intention doing the place up.
Moved mum to another home after 3 months and they are really good. But if I didn't visit at least every other day she was often un-pleasant towards me.
Unfortunately early this year her leg broke spontaneously twice in space of about 3 weeks. She was recuperating really well but 6 weeks after 2nd op., developed what we think is delirium. It's left her immobile and confused, (fortunately her mental capacity is bit better than it was and most of the hallucinations have stopped) .
I find I can't settle to anything, Iam just waiting for the phone to go as her health is up and down.
If I don't visit everyday and spend 2-3 hours with her, she gets staff to call me because she can't remember when I've been to see her. She is upset with me if I don't go straight over because she 'needs' me. When I get there she's fine. Some of her friends visit at least once a week, my sister goes about every 10 days (she lives an hour away).
So for me, my house is a complete mess. The only clean things are bathroom, kitchen and clothing. I can't get my head round anything, my get-up-and-go seems to have completely gone. Every evening I tell myself a short list things I could/should do - little step at a time. Morning comes and I do nothing. So, I understand where you're coming from.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @annieka 56
Whenever OH goes into respite I spend the first 3 days just sleeping and cant do anything. Ive been surviving on adrenaline and when that stops I just collapse. I expect its the same for you, only more intense.

Listen to your body. You have been through traumatic experiences and it will take a while for you to recover. If you dont feel like doing anything, then do nothing. You just have to simply be. Could you go away somewhere, even for just a few days so you are not sitting looking at things that feel need doing?

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
I’m so sorry to read about your situation @annieka 56.

You have come through so much I’m not surprised that you feel as you do now. Even though your husband has gone into care I think you are certainly experiencing carer breakdown. I know it’s a massive cliche but please just take one day at a time. Try not to beat yourself up about not doing things. If you want someone to talk to perhaps you could consider the Alzheimer’s Society Companion Calls service -

It might also be an idea to see if you can get an appointment with your GP. They may be able to refer you to a counselling service.

Please keep posting here. People will understand what you're going through.
Thank you. I think I need counselling. I think I have something like PTSD which is not to minimise people's experiences in actual war situations or war zones where they're bombed out of their homes but I am in some unhealthy mental state at the moment.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Thank you. I think I need counselling. I think I have something like PTSD which is not to minimise people's experiences in actual war situations or war zones where they're bombed out of their homes but I am in some unhealthy mental state at the moment.
PTSD is not just about armed combat,it's about managing a trauma that has a profound affect on us and is sometimes too much for a person to process. I have PTSD due to a lot of family stuff, not as dreadful as other people have gone through but it isn’t about them it’s about me coping and this is about you coping. You are not on your own and you deserve to be in a better place with your mental health.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Caring can be hard, been on here for something over 10 years now, wife first then mum too. Hard as it was sitting alone in an empty house is harder.
I'm not afraid to use the word lonely, that's what it is, I have no family locally I can go all day and talk to no one, I think some form of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is the nearest way to describe it. K
I agree it does feel like PTSD and I hate to say that because people have literally been in war zones and seen/experienced unimaginable things while I have just been living my middle aged life with a husband with dementia ...

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Caring and dementia does cause PTSD @annieka 56. Any trauma we are exposed to can cause it. As a carer I think we might be prone as we don’t have time and space to process as we have to get on with the caring. please don’t feel you have to compare or diminish your suffering. Goto the GP. There is therapy available for PTSD but in the short term see if the GP can give you something to take the edge off and make you a wee bit more comfortable. Rest and lie on the sofa, eat healthy ( anyone u can ask to drop u some dinners?) and do anything that makes you feel slightly better - craft, walking, nature….

You’ll get there in time…

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
So many of us on here aren't in a good place, it can be lonely even on here.
PTSD isn't just a war related thing, it's affects many of us on here fighting dementia as carers. K

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
@annieka 56 , whilst you have been run ragged caring for your husband, your brain has put your emotions on hold so that you can cope. Now you don’t have the stress of his day to day care and you know he is safe and well cared for it’s time to process all those feelings and emotions that were on hold. You are going to feel strange and different and you need to give yourself some time to grieve and settle into this new situation. I agree with @Izzy that it would be a good idea to see your GP. Once I had my mum finally settled in a new nursing home after she was sectioned, I fell to pieces. I have always been a coper but this time I just couldn’t bounce back. I’m so glad I spoke with my GP as I in a much better place now, I just needed some time. Take care of yourself. X

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Caring and dementia does cause PTSD @annieka 56. Any trauma we are exposed to can cause it. As a carer I think we might be prone as we don’t have time and space to process as we have to get on with the caring. please don’t feel you have to compare or diminish your suffering. Goto the GP. There is therapy available for PTSD but in the short term see if the GP can give you something to take the edge off and make you a wee bit more comfortable. Rest and lie on the sofa, eat healthy ( anyone u can ask to drop u some dinners?) and do anything that makes you feel slightly better - craft, walking, nature….

You’ll get there in time…

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Thank you.
I have a mixed blessing to keep me company ( have lovely adult sons also thank goodness ) which is my husband's original big dog who is probably 10 years old now and she's a bit bereft too as he ignored her more or less for 5 years. She's now glued to my side. She is it a bit overweight and needy and I'm underweight and needy so we will find a balance soon I hope.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022