3rd party top up fees and LPA

Sugarbird

Apr 18, 2014
Leicestershire
Hello. This is my first post here. My mum has dementia and has been in a care home for 2 years. She's been self funding but has just dropped below the financial threshold so will receive local authority support. I've agreed to fund the top up payments but only because I was told by her social worker that as I have power of attorney I can do what I need to with her money. Otherwise we couldn't afford it. Has anybody else been given similar advice?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Did the SW specifically say that you could use your mums money to pay for top-ups? Im afraid that its not true
I do wish that SWs would stop giving out dodgy financial advice about paying for care and what you can/cant do with a POA.

BTW - it is worth going back to your mums care home and asking about the top-ups.
When my mum went into her care home I was told that if she was self-funding for 2 years or more then when her money dipped below the threshold they would waive the top-ups. Actually she passed away before we got to that point, but it might be worth it to ask about your mums.

If they wont budge, then try going back to the LA and explain that you cant afford them. Stress that it would not be in your mums best interest to move her and see whether they will increase their budget.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I was just about to post the same thing. If you are topping up your Mum's fees with her money then it is not a 'third party' top up. Seems quite common for social workers to give out financial advice which is wrong!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Sugarbird
a warm welcome from me too
I am a little confused by what the Social Worker has told you - any top-up payments are paid by the third party from their own finances not by the person in the care home from their savings - so in your situation, you will pay the top-up from your money, not using your mum's savings

being an Attorney doesn't mean you can do what you like with the donor's money, you have the responsibility to act in the donor's best financial interests and within any rules that apply in any given situation

maybe ask to speak with the financial department at the LA as the SW has given you incorrect advice

here's a link to the main AS site's info on paying for care, scroll down the page to the info on top-ups
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/care-home-fees#content-start

Last edited:

Sugarbird

Apr 18, 2014
Leicestershire
That's very depressing. Yes I was told that I could use her money as I wished. The care home won't waive the top up fees. I will just have to see what I can do with the LA. Thank you for the feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch