32 and worried about my brain health

JessN12

Nov 24, 2021
Hi all, I'm 32 and have a family history of dementia. Maternal Grandma had Alzheimer's, Maternal Grandad had Vascular Dementia following a TIA (mini stroke) and my Mum was diagnosed about two years ago with Alzheimer's.
I don't know if my Dads parents had it but my Dad doesn't.

Recently I have been mixing up words a lot, saying orange instead of yellow, or the wrong names. I've also started forgetting birthdays and things. Not remembering to buy cards, or forgetting items at the shop. This weekend its happened a lot! I'm starting to worry. I know I'm probably hypersensitive to it but just wondered what first made other young people seek help. Should I keep a diary of incidents?

Thanks

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Yes, keep a diary. Though at 32 it's highly unlikely to be dementia.

Do consider other issues though - could it be you're starting an early menopause? That happened to me when I was about 39 and the symptoms were horrendous - much as you describe. In fact, that was when I started researching dementia which came in useful when my mother developed it years later.

But go see your GP and don't be fobbed off. Ask for tests as there are various things that can cause symptoms like this.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes, keep a diary. Though at 32 it's highly unlikely to be dementia.

Do consider other issues though - could it be you're starting an early menopause? That happened to me when I was about 39 and the symptoms were horrendous - much as you describe. In fact, that was when I started researching dementia which came in useful when my mother developed it years later.

But go see your GP and don't be fobbed off. Ask for tests as there are various things that can cause symptoms like this.
I was told that anaemia, diabetes and hearing can affect the symptoms you describe. Also is something else causing you a lot of stress?

MaNaAk

MrStephenC

Jul 24, 2023
Hi all, I'm 32 and have a family history of dementia. Maternal Grandma had Alzheimer's, Maternal Grandad had Vascular Dementia following a TIA (mini stroke) and my Mum was diagnosed about two years ago with Alzheimer's.
I don't know if my Dads parents had it but my Dad doesn't.

Recently I have been mixing up words a lot, saying orange instead of yellow, or the wrong names. I've also started forgetting birthdays and things. Not remembering to buy cards, or forgetting items at the shop. This weekend its happened a lot! I'm starting to worry. I know I'm probably hypersensitive to it but just wondered what first made other young people seek help. Should I keep a diary of incidents?

Thanks
I am 44 now. My journey of downward health started at 33 years of age. 1st cancer. 2nd Pulmonary Embolism then another a year later. Arthritis, sleep apnea and hormone replacement therapy. The list goes on and on. At 41, after major decline in memory function my partner at the time spoke to my GP. After memory tests on the phone they booked an MRI scan. This showed changes in the brain. I was told the year later I had Cerebral Small Vessel Disease. Then after more decline I had a SPECT scan that has now confirmed positive for Altzhimers.

Initially, I'd forget things I'd put down. My cup of coffee was the first signs. I could not recall where if left it. Of course I blamed everyone else for moving it and playing tricks. But then, it happened loads when I was alone.

So my advice. Book in with the GP Initially to organise a scan. Either to diagnose or put you at ease. Both are valid reasons for a scan. Whichever it turns out to be, please carry on as normal as you can.

And....do not let people judge you. I went through a stage of emailing lots of times to same people. I was deemed as controlling and corcieve by the local authotity. Even though they knew I had cognitive impairments. They called me a liar. But those people are and were not in any position to do so. They even tried to take my son from me. They failed of course. Only due to my determination of trying to carry-on as normal as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980