20 year old carer for Dad

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Hi, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons dementia about 18 months ago. I've been struggling to get my head around it and think I could really benefit from going to a support group/meeting of some sort. My mum, who is his main carer, really isn't ready to do something like this, however in the meantime Dad is getting worse and we are still struggling to identify his symptoms. I also feel like my patience is running out

I live in west London. Does anyone know of any support groups around here? Or I am at university in Bristol so if there are any there that would also be ok. I don't know if there are any for young carers like myself? If not, that is not a problem - I think any sort of support would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
You are so young to have these worries my heart goes out to you. I would call your local Alzheimer's society either at home or university and ask them what is available in those areas. I would also go to your student support department at the university, they will help and support you and guide you to the right support.

Please post on here, there is a wealth of informed posters who will understand completely what you are going through.

I can only tell you that for me it's been a life line.

WGA

Jan 11, 2014
Thank you so much for replying. I have just got off the phone to my local Alzheimer's society. They said that they do not offer support groups for carers, but rather support groups of the sufferers themselves. As my Dad never talks about his diagnosis, nor do I think he is that aware of it, I don't think this is a good idea (yet!). So I then contacted another local society near me, but as I don't live in that borough they said they cannot help me :(

I am still struggling to find a support group / support meeting to attend for carers, but the person on the phone suggested I contact Carers UK, so I might just to this.

Still, if anyone does know of a group for young carers like myself, this would be great to know! (Or a group for any carers)

I think the sooner I can sort something out with this the better... then I can get on with doing this silly 2000 word essay for uni!

Thanks for your advice and support :)

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
You may have to make some calls to find out who can help you.

I would call your local council and ask to speak to Social Services for Adult Support, explain your situation, they may well know of somewhere to help.

I would call Age Concern and Mind in both areas, someone will know where you can get support. As a graduate, I know the pressure of your assignments, albeit I graduated as a forty something year old, please talk to your personal tutor you can get extensions for assignments, they were totally brilliant with me, student support as I said before.

There is support in places you hadn't thought of, I get help from an Irish Society, as Mum is Irish I can access their groups even though I was born here. I attend their carers groups because we understand each other. I have also attended carer's counselling groups via the AS which has been massively beneficial more than I could ever have foreseen.

Help is out there, but it's not always easy to find.

Welshwoman

Dec 1, 2013
South Wales
Thank you so much for replying. I have just got off the phone to my local Alzheimer's society. They said that they do not offer support groups for carers, but rather support groups of the sufferers themselves. As my Dad never talks about his diagnosis, nor do I think he is that aware of it, I don't think this is a good idea (yet!). So I then contacted another local society near me, but as I don't live in that borough they said they cannot help me :(

I am still struggling to find a support group / support meeting to attend for carers, but the person on the phone suggested I contact Carers UK, so I might just to this.

Still, if anyone does know of a group for young carers like myself, this would be great to know! (Or a group for any carers)

I think the sooner I can sort something out with this the better... then I can get on with doing this silly 2000 word essay for uni!

Thanks for your advice and support :)

NHS Direct are very good and have a lot of support on their Website. Try giving them a ring and see if they can help you at all. Good Luck :)

Serato

Oct 13, 2013
West Country
http://www.2gether.nhs.uk/

This Trust provides support in Gloucester/ Cheltenham, and have provided great care for my wife. On the web-site is several references to meetings held in Bristol, presumably with other care organisations. I have attended a 6 afternoons course for Carers which would give you lots of background to your Dad's situation, perhaps 2gether are being asked to run this in Bristol? Anyway may give you a couple more starting points.
Good luck

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Would this site be of use to you perhaps?

http://www.carers.org/carers-services/find-your-local-service-list?keys=&tid_1=All&tid=1

Or something like this?
http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200379/carers/251/the_carers_centre

Or, http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/Pages/CarersDirectHome.aspx

In Bristol... http://www.ourhealth.southwest.nhs....pport-for-families-and-carers-in-bristol.html

If you google 'carer support groups, west London' you get lots covering the various council is west London

Then again, you might find it more convenient to use us here at talking point as a means of information and support. If there are any specific challenges or symptoms that your dad is struggling with then I am sure someone on here will have encountered them at some point, so just ask away. Maybe your mum could join us on here too?

Fiona

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hello, I'm an 18 year old carer and I would love to talk to someone in a similar situation to myself? I know I am a little late on this post but hopefully you will see this

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons dementia about 18 months ago. I've been struggling to get my head around it and think I could really benefit from going to a support group/meeting of some sort. My mum, who is his main carer, really isn't ready to do something like this, however in the meantime Dad is getting worse and we are still struggling to identify his symptoms. I also feel like my patience is running out

I live in west London. Does anyone know of any support groups around here? Or I am at university in Bristol so if there are any there that would also be ok. I don't know if there are any for young carers like myself? If not, that is not a problem - I think any sort of support would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Hullo there WGA, sorry to hear of your troubles.

The Care Support Centre in Fishponds in Bristol have been a great help to me the past year or so. Call them on 01179 223269. They might even know of a centre in London.

All the best, Robbie