“Are you happy John with your dementia?” A question asked of me by a seven year old student during a school visit last month….?

JohnPops

May 12, 2024
“Are you happy now you got Dementia John?”
This question was asked directly to me when visiting a primary school with Alzheimer’s Society and Bristol wellbeing by a seven year old student!
It did make me stop in my tracks a little and forced me to reflect on exactly how I felt on hearing this and with 120 other students all ears awaiting my response…
Who am I???
Well, I am 67 years young with the same many years spent walking about on this planet learning all the good and bad things waiting to be discovered. For me mostly nice things, INCLUDING my diagnosis of Dementia.
Odd thing to state I know, but there it is.
So, now if I may have perked your curiosity… here are a few things I have done and am doing at this time with my diagnosis;
I have enrolled, soon after my diagnosis. joindementiaresearch because I was drawn to its potential in helping to getting this disease pushed back into history.
It was a way of reclaiming my lost purpose.
I picked up some links here and immediately started as a Participant in major national studies with Bristol and Leeds University helping them with Photographic studies, New recruitment leaflet building, Template using W.R.E.N. to assist GP’s and Memory Consultants with the actual diagnosis consultation meetings, amongst a few others.
I have visited Weston College and Bristol Academy and spoken with students who are studying careers in elderly care and dementia in particular.
Together with The Alzheimers Society and Bristol Wellbeing I have been invited for many ‘chats’ with younger children at Primary school level about living/journeying with Dementia and its impact on both humanity and families. (This is my favourite thing to do at this time, and where that QUESTION was thrown at me!
I have written two stories into my Mr. Sloop story books, also aimed at the younger audience, with regards to him also receiving his diagnosis of dementia and the consequences to his character.
Mr. Sloop is a character I wrote stories about for my grandchildren prior to D-Day.., DEMENTIA DAY!
This has been self-published and copies are donated to all schools I visit. mrsloop.com.
The BBC Radio Bristol aired a Podcast made by myself and their broadcast media team together with Bristol Wellbeing and my six year old at the time granddaughter Ariana. Part of which was also aired on one of their local radio programmes.
My You-Tube channel @minusmymemory is devoted using my own experiences and observances of Dementia in general together with hints and coaching tips to others who have also received this sideways-stepping diagnosis!

When the Angel whispered the word ‘Dementia’ in my ear one of the first things I did was to stand up in front of the congregation in our Church and read out my ‘Prayer for Dementia’.
One of my poems, (attached below somewhere), ’The one They Call Dementia’ was chosen as one of only 15 poems world-wide to be read out and used for the 'Night of Dementia Arts’, an American body focusing on artistic interpretations of Aphasia and Dementia… That was quite cool!
My capacity is waning, although extremely slowly at this time, (I believe due in part to my keeping overly busy and learning something NEW every day), but I have in my heart and mind already donated whatever capacity I do have left to getting awareness raised in the most important and highest of places as possible, and helping to further the research into this terrible disease.
I am pumped and ready to go anywhere, do anything and talk to anyone from the Prime Minister upwards, to GET THIS MESSAGE OUT THERE……!
BTW.. I said”Yes, I’m still very Happy and positive, even though I have Dementia!”
Many Blessings,
John
ps.. please remember there is nothing you can ask or say that would upset me, I’ve sat in front of seven and eight year olds and they are quite brutal with their questions as they don’t have many ‘life’ filters yet!

Last edited:

JohnPops

May 12, 2024
THE ONE THEY CALL ‘DEMENTIA’...
YOU STEAL AWAY OUR SECRET PLACES
ROBBING OUR FAMILIAR FACES
PRECIOUS TIMES THAT NOW ARE GONE
WITH SILENCE LEFT OUR ONLY SONG...

LOITERING IN THE MASK OF MADNESS
HIDDEN WHILE YOU ATE OUR SADNESS
GREEDY FOR OUR MEMORIES
YOU FED YOURSELF FOR CENTURIES.

YOUR STEALTH HAS FUDGED OUR VERY NAMES
YES, YOU’RE THE ONE WE ALL CAN BLAME.
FOR COWARDLY ACTS, YOU’RE SUCH A FIEND
YOU EVEN HIDE US FROM OUR DREAMS.

YOU LEAVE US FEELING SAD AND DENSE WHEN WIPING OUT OUR CONFIDENCE
YOU SUCK FROM US OUR VERY LIVES
AND UP TILL NOW YOU HAVE SURVIVED.

THE ELEPHANT SAT IN OUR ROOM
IS YOU MY FRIEND, BUT VERY SOON
DESPITE YOU SHARING EVIL GLOOM
WE’LL COME FOR YOU TO SEAL YOUR DOOM

WE’VE THROTTLED MUMPS AND BLINDNESS
WITH FORTITUDE AND KINDNESS
WE’VE DONE AWAY WITH AGUES AND PLAGUES
AND SEVERED TUMOURS WITH OUR BLADES

WE’VE OUSTED AIDS AND FEVERS
WITH OUR MEDICS AND BELIEVERS
WHEN WE FIND THE MEDICATIONS
THROUGH OUR HOPE AND DEDICATION

WE WILL BRING THIS WAR TO YOU
IN EVERYTHING WE TRY TO DO
PROTECTING ALL THE DREAMS YOU PLUNDER
KEEPING ALL LIFE’S AWE AND WONDER

THE STUDENTS LEARNING HERE RIGHT NOW
WILL STOP YOUR SENSELESS GREED SOMEHOW
AND WHEN DEMENTIA DOES SUCUMB
AND ALL THE HEALINGS HAVE BEEN DONE

WE WILL CELEBRATE WITH TEA AND CAKE
BECAUSE WE’VE PUT YOU TO YOUR FATE
NO LONGER A HATED MYSTERY
YOU’LL BE LOCKED AWAY IN HISTORY....

Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hello @JohnPops and a big welcome to the forum.
Wow, what an inspiring couple of posts! When I get a chance I'll check out your YouTube channel.

That poem - I'm not surprised it was chosen to be read out at the Night for Dementia Arts. It's superb.
Perhaps a moderator can copy it onto the poetry section of the forum.
If you've got any more, please feel free to post, in your own time of course.

Last edited:

JohnPops

May 12, 2024
Thank you my friend… it wouldn’t allow me to insert the links to my YouTube channel? Perhaps you are able to add them after you have taken a peek and seen how helpful they may be? Blessings, john

JohnPops

May 12, 2024
Here's a couple to start - only a few minutes each one.

Very many thanks… there is one short actually more appropriate for here on your website.. it’s called ‘Why Alzheimer’s Society…?’ You particularly will appreciate it I think.. blessings, john

JohnPops

May 12, 2024
Wow….!!! That’s was faster than putting instant coffee in a microwave…!!! You just broke the internet time continuum…? Thank you my friend… let’s hope it helps people see just how supportive and comforting to know you are here for us. Blessings again, John Pops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevotedDaughter23