A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have no problem making it an easier option for them 2jays. It is making use of a Dementia Friend.

It was because I had asked for a few clarifications, and everyone round the table realised they were in new territory, it was thought I might have something to offer.

You certainly do have more than something to offer.

I was just a tad concerned you felt you HAD to offer and perhaps, maybe, you were not ready...

Sorry. Got my protective mother hen cloak on... :)
xxxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
that is a great outcome. It must have been so hard for you to sum up the energy for the fight and to bring back those memories.

You should be proud of yourself for what you have achieved

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It really wasn't difficult at all.

I'm quite good at knowing my limits and backing off if I feel I might be biting off more than I can chew.

I'm not in the throes of caring, in those days I would have been in tears at the slightest provocation. I'm well rested and felt very strongly this bad practice needed to be addressed.

And I hope I don't come across as arrogant but I really felt they didn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm fed up of people who put themselves on pedestals, expecting us lesser mortals to doff our caps to their superiority. I had to tolerate it when I was working because I was the bottom of the pile, but now I'm a free agent and don't have to tolerate it any longer.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
don't have to tolerate it any longer

The liberating feeling of experience, knowledge and wisdom...one of the few advantages of getting older. :)

You will be helping to make sure that other people don't have the same unnecessary bad experience, Sylvia.

Splendid. x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Paul and I attended a meeting today. It was to address my complaint about the way Dhiren and I were treated by a ward in the local hospital, in December, when he was so poorly with end stage dementia and aspiration pneumonia.

In attendance the Matron, the ward manager, the nurse responsible for dementia training, the doctor, and a person from the Patient Experience Team [ late PALS ] who took notes and a recording of the procedure.
I will be provided with a CD of the meeting.

They all held their hands up. My complaint was justified.

The ward manager was visibly upset, the doctor was defensive but acknowledged I was right to raise the issues I complained about

I made it clear I took no pleasure from this complaint but, having read of so many other examples of poor treatment, here on TP, and in the media, I felt duty bound not only to speak for Dhiren but also for all who are unable to make their needs known.

The outcome , in addition to apologies and acknowledgement of embarrassment, is an invitation to attend dementia training sessions with nurses , to talk about what I know of dementia and to help prove the hospital is not just paying lip service to Dementia Champions and Dementia Friends.

My first talk will be in September.

I wasn`t sure what to expect but I didn`t expect what I got. :)

Brilliant Sylvia. It's wonderful to read this. Well done you.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I just picked up on this Sylvia you will be a wonderful advocate and you are a humble person so you will share your knowledge from the right perspective

You will be just the right person

I am doing my first Dementia Friends talk in a local village next Friday!

Feeling nervous but thats good it means I wont come over like I know it all :)

(which of course I don't!):D:D:D:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Feeling nervous but thats good it means I wont come over like I know it all :)

(which of course I don't!):D:D:D:D

None of us do Sarah.

Thank you everyone for so much encouragement. I wanted to be a Dementia Friend but didn`t really know what form it would take. This feels right. I hope I`ll be able to help. I`ll certainly let you know.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The Complaint

I received the CD and action plan today.

The CD isn`t very clear, especially with my hearing, but it`s good to have it and I`m sure Paul will make more sense of it.
However it has not been edited and I`m pleased about that.

The Action plan is most satisfactory.

There is too much for me to copy but the key points are ;

Identified Trends, Action to be taken, Persons involved, Completion dates, Review dates.

The Identified Trends are ;

Lack of awareness of need for individual arrangements for visiting and assisting relatives.

Lack of discretion in communication e.g.use of SaLTs

Staff Nurse`s understanding of the `rules` around relatives attending and assisting patients.

Lack of dementia awareness.

Ensure staff are aware of the need to answer questions from relatives.

And because I have been invited to attend Dementia Champions Meetings I hope to be able to witness a successful completion.

I do hope this will encourage others to make a stand for those who are unable to make a stand for themselves.
We can be heard if we make the right protest at the right time and with the right information.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
That sounds amazing Sylvia.

I'm sure no one will be accused of not understanding dementia after you have helped educate them

Well done you xx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Well done Sylvia, what a result. Words are cheap but that is not going to happen here because you are so involved. This certainly is a big move and in the right direction.

Jay

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So good to hear Sylvia.
I'm so glad that all your efforts have resulted in something so positive but wish the complaint hadn't been necessarry in the first place. Hopefully, onwards anhd upwards - where that hospital is concerned anyway.

mulhuis

Mar 27, 2009
Kent
Hi Sylvia,
Thank you for directing me to this thread. I have only caught up on a little of it but intend to take my time reading through. Glad you have had a result with the hospital however as a word of caution my ex wife had similar problems about 15 years ago when her grandmother was in the same hospital. The same promises were made after the lack of care they gave to her. I truly hope you have more success than we did.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Terry.

One of the carers at Dhiren`s home had the same problem with this ward when her mother was an inpatient too.

It will remain to be seen whether or not changes will be made and I hope I`m never in a position to have a stroke to test it out. :eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Last night I went to an Interfaith Social with one of my friends from U3A.

There were 30 to 40 people there. I was slightly anxious. I only knew the one person and am not good at small talk. I also know `religion and politics` are supposed to be danger areas as far as discussion goes. I need`t have worried, there was a lovely friendly atmosphere. We did talk about religion but we didn`t argue about religion.

The food was plentiful, all vegetarian, each of us making a contribution. I made my Belgian Biscuit cake.

On the way home I got a text from my grandson H.

H `Can you come over at 4pm on Saturday to celebrate my birthday? [ 16 ] We`re having take away and then birthday party tea! Really really really want you to be there!!xxx`

Me `With pleasure.`

H `Could you do me a huge favour?xx`

Me `Anything. You name it. I`ll do it.`

H `Could you make me an egg free cheesecake for Saturday afternoon please? `

[ he is allergic to egg ]

Me `With pleasure. `

H ` Thank you so much. `

Me `I`m flattered, with so many good bakers in your house.`

H `Ha Ha I`m not sure they`re up to it! xxx`

H ` Could it have a thin layer of cream on top , not too thick, please, if that`s OK.`

Me ` Oh yes!`

H ` Thank you. Goodnight!xxx See you on Saturday!!!`

Just thought it was worth sharing. :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
What a lovely text conversation. Mind you I do think you were very brave offering everything and anything to his request for a favour :D

I do know that phone calls are sometimes preferred to text, but I do think text messages are like post cards of old when you could post one in the morning and get a reply in the afternoon and you get to read it again again.

A very positive night out too for you. I'm so glad xx

Status
Not open for further replies.