A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I know I must sound like a broken record at times, thanking everyone, but it`s only here the significance of reported incidents are appreciated.

Dementia is such a distressing condition for carer and cared for alike, the smallest success is comparable to a significant achievement in the `outside world`.

To those who feel they have lost the ones they love, the `real person` I `m sure they are still there. Sometimes it is just more difficult to find them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree Butter.
There`s no knowing if what we do will bring results but sometimes we do nothing and get results.

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
I've only just caught up with your thread & am so pleased to see that lovely photo of Dhiren. Love his new glasses they really suit him.:)

I hope the staff manage to get him to the sunroom so Dhiren can watch the trees as they change into their autumn colours. It will make a difference to you to know he's getting some enjoyable stimulation when you can't be there.

The book of pictures of the markets & goods was a brilliant idea. So pleased Dhiren thought so too. Mum also often suggests I bring something home unaware that I gave it to her just a few minutes earlier :D I sometimes wonder if she gets a feeling of deja vu when one of the carers shows it to her soon after :)

I hope your visits continue to find Dhiren smiling.

Take care of yourself too,Sylvia

Mo
x

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Sylvia, I'm so glad that the sunroom was a success and that Dhiren could relate to the market pictures. You may remember that I got Dad moved downstairs at the start of this year because of the noisy and aggressive new residents upstairs, and his last few months were much better because he enjoyed the quiet. I used to take in old photos of places Dad knew. He had worked in the Royal Liver Buildings for 40 years and travelled on the Mersey Ferry every morning, and those photos were always well-appreciated. The good thing about taking them home was that I could bring them back after a week and they were quite new again!

I hope the new glasses are a success. Dad had his name engraved on his too, but it didn't stop other mobile residents picking them up out of his room while he was in bed....They could go missing for weeks at a time. Dhiren's home sounds to be smaller though, so you may not have the same problems.

I'm really pleased that Dhiren's distress seems to have passed. I hope that this continues,

Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It's lovely to read Sylvia that Dhiren got obvious pleasure both form the sunroom and the market 'memorabilia' you were able to prepare for him.

Something came to mind reading your thread re. Dhiren not liking to go outside. Maybe this has changed and he would welcome being in the garden, I presume there is one?, as he seems to have responded positively to the sunroom. Also if he is perhaps finding some of the changes in the home difficult the garden may be a place of more peace for him. Just some thoughts you will know if it would help or not. Hope visits continue with positive times.
love
Sue

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You have made a very good point Sue. :)

I tend to be a bit of a `stick in the mud` about trying again if things don`t work out the first time. Dhiren is changing all the time and I must remember not to regard as gospel, anything he either accepts or refuses.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I tend to be a bit of a `stick in the mud` about trying again if things don`t work out the first time. Dhiren is changing all the time and I must remember not to regard as gospel, anything he either accepts or refuses.

I think sometimes when a certain 'thing or activity' has appeared to provoke severe distress in anyway that can lodge with carer's as a thing to be avoided at all costs and assume it was the 'thing or activity' that caused it when in reality it could have been anything that was causing the distress unrelated to external reality at the time. So don't think you're a 'stick in the mud' at all because you are always open to new suggestions and trying new ways and it's usually easier for someone with a perspective not so close to be able to throw a different perspective and that's what TP is so good for.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
So pleased to hear that Dhiren enjoyed the sunroom and market pics - I can imagine what an emotional and happy moment that must have been for you.

Thank you for sharing these moments with us - I find it such a help as I try to prepare for what waits down the road. It is lovely to realise that it isn't all bleak xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Lynne.

I would never have believed our lives would have eventually given us so much pleasure after such a distressing several years.

Our son has been finding it more and more difficult to visit his dad. He feels at a loss , after 15 minutes of trying to tell him news Dhiren is no longer really interested in . He went through the book with him yesterday, and it helped him feel better about his visits, when he saw the pleasure on Dhiren`s face and heard it in his voice.

sheens

Sep 18, 2012
Scotland
You have made a very good point Sue. :)

I know what you mean too. Sometimes I take ages thinking up some great idea for Mum or Dad and when I mention it to them they look at me like I have gone mad. However I am starting to think 'out the box' now. For example, my mum never, ever went out for coffee. She considered it a waste of time and money when she could go home and make a cup of coffee for herself. Last week ( I had the first good visit in ages last week) just before I left I said "I'll be back to see you soon" and without thinking also said "maybe we can go for a coffee". As soon as I said it I thought what a stupid thing to say to Mum she never goes for coffee. And to my astonishment she said, "Oh that would be lovely there are some lovely coffee shops in town"!!

So it's just hit or miss! Some days I guess a suggestion will bring scorn or refusal but its worth mentioning again later - it could be a completely different response!:)

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
It is lovely to realise that it isn't all bleak

I think it 'passes all understanding': in the two days before my mother died I had more contact with her - she was more herself - than I had ever known in my whole life. She was more a whole person.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I printed off a few more images to add to Dhiren`s Nostalgia Book of goods he used to sell. Some love beads, a box of assorted jewellery, horse brasses, brass candlesticks and some smart `day dresses`.
At the home, I inserted them into his file, telling him about each picture as I did so.

And then we went through the book.

Again, he showed signs of recognition and connection. His eyes lit up and he smiled as I showed him the picture and told him the story of each market he attended.

When we were looking at the fruit and vegetable stall I reminded him how every Friday and Saturday he came home with a big box of fruit and vegetables for the family and how he always bought the best quality so they would last the week. He chuckled with pleasure at the memory, not just the first time but again and again.

When we came to pictures of the goods he sold, I made each page into a story, much in the same way I told stories to special needs children in my work. My memory of his working life triggered his memory and the stories added a little bit of icing to the cake.
We went through the book three times and each time the pleasure was as good as the last. I thought three times was enough for one day and put the book away.

Dhiren sat in his chair with a smile which didn`t fade. I asked him what he was thinking about, he answered , `The markets. The Good Old Days.`

The feelings stayed with him for the rest of my visit. An Antiques Auction show was on the television. He connected with the programme as an extension of the book. He bought and sold, those on the television were buying and selling.

The whole episode was full of pleasure and my heart was light on my journey home. I still feel the pleasure, although I know Dhiren will be sleeping and unaware .

By pure chance, it was the best visit ever.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
What a joy to read Sylvia it brings tears to my eyes, I'm so pleased for you. Dhiren might be still enjoying it like you too, we don't know, I hope he is.
love
Sue

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh Sylvia, that is lovely. You hit the button there, and he clearly enjoyed that time. I found it really moving to read and can only imagine the pleasure you felt.

Well done for being spot on.

Jan x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp