A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Had a very similar week myself Sylvia. A meeting yesterday about the renovation of Ken's care home which I was promised last year would have sufficient money put aside and after my campaign to keep the home open:

- at the meeting - listened to the head of this department, that department or 'tother department from the LA - listened to contractors & what they were contracted to do.......

Found out they are actually putting in a new lift (which was needed anyway) a lick of paint on walls & doors of bedrooms and lounges, new floor coverings in lounges - power washing the driveway.....

Discussion about colours of paint to use - And that was IT!!

I went mad at them: - guttering which is falling down and causing a waterfall outside bedroom windows - Ken and other residents in wheelchairs & because bedroom sinks are 'boxed in' cannot get wheelchairs close enough to put resident's hands in water to wash them - lounge chairs only fit for a bonfire - only one plug socket in most bedrooms, including those which have an elctric rise and fall bed!!!

I think they knew how mad I was and after mutterings amongst themselves the meeting was closed!

They have no chance of getting away with the work they specified. Unless they get to grips with all the necessary renovations - I'll be on the serious warpath again!

xxTinaT

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
It might interest you to know that there is an article about the company Sylvia is dealing with in the Sunday Times current edition. It is the company that calls itself "the fifth emergency service".

The headline is "Don't waste your cash on repair cover". " Which? has accused the company of selling pipe insurance to ... households that do not need it."

My mum had seven of these policies or more. Apparently they sold electicity cover to someone who had no electricity.

Last edited:

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Additional cover

The plumber`s been, knew immediately what it was, knew the insurance wouldn`t pay, said ` It`s no big deal ` and will sort it on Thursday. :)

Thank you very much for so much support.

If anyone has this type of insurance all I can say is it`s good money down the drain.

Hello Sylvia,
Ju st seen this interesting thread and felt I had to comment as similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

I like you have additional insurance on just about everything including electrics, plumbing, showers and so on.

On this occasion it was my piped leading to the washing machine which burst and water was sprouting out everywhere. I could not find the isolator and could not turn off the main stop ****. Not a man at home in the close, so next I phoned the insurance company only to be told I would not be covered. Apparently the insurance I had taken out for plumbing was for MAINTENANCE only and not emergencies. No why would I want to pay for maintenance when you have handymen who do that sort of things, it is the emergencies that require assistance ASAP.

I have now learned to scrutinise any small print before signing on the dotted line, but I too thought I had over insured only to find the opposite. It is such a hard lesson when we are so vulnerable at times like that.

I do hope you are sorted now and manage to get your payment back, it does not feel right having to pay anything up front. I am not quite sure I understand why you had to pay anything at all !!!

Apart from the above I hope you are well, I do come on to read occasionally and try to keep up with you and Dhiren.

Love and best wishes x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And finally................

It was nothing to do with the bath.

It was a small leak from the washing machine.

My plumber would not rest until he identified the problem and identify it he did, by pouring a cup of water over the kitchen floor.
Because the kitchen floor slopes sightly, the water collected in the grooves of the floor tiles, which channelled it towards the wall where the radiator is and which adjoins the bathroom.

So much for the diagnostic skills of the insurance company`y contractor.

If I had logged the leak I would have realised.

Lesson learnt.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Does that mean they did work that didn't need doing to your bath Sylvia? That's outragous :mad: I wonder about insurance jobs at times, our boiler always seems to need multiple things doing to it before the real problem is diagnosed.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
At least it was only the bath ... I always shudder at the thought that it could have been a doctor carrying out an operation rather than a plumber tracking down a leak :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No Jennie. No work was done to the bath because the Insurance company`s contractor was only prepared to do half the work so I showed him the door.

My plumber , who with hind sight should have been called out in the first place, spent ages looking for a leak from the bath but found nothing. He refused to be beaten and looked elsewhere, he even went into the loft. Then he decided to throw a cup of water over the kitchen floor. Unorthodox perhaps but it worked.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
A little bit of an aside here, but I can empathise with the worries about household maintenance. While I was in the carers' office this morning to do the form for my CRB check I asked for their list of handymen and tradesmen (list supplied by the neighbouring Age Concern). I always worry about getting a competent workman and not having to hang about for them either.

I am sure the list will come in handy (pardon the pun;):p

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Now I can visit Dhiren with peace of mind. I haven`t been since Monday.
I have been so affected by this worry I really didn`t have the right attitude to cope with a visit which requires me to be on top form.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Now I can visit Dhiren with peace of mind. I haven`t been since Monday.
I have been so affected by this worry I really didn`t have the right attitude to cope with a visit which requires me to be on top form.
I've just been reading about your leak and insurance saga, Syvlia, and am glad you have it sorted out now, hope you get your money back though. The plumber sounds a gem!

I know what you mean about visiting Dhiren. You do have to be on top form, or try to be.... When I was having problems with the central heating in Jan/Feb, three call outs (and it is still not right) I was shocked how it affected me. No one called the day they said they would and I also got in a stew about missing visits to Henry. Usually I cope fairly well with domestic problems but suddenly felt so vulnerable and very alone.

More recently when I found a puddle of water outside the fridge I was completely thrown. Then managed to 'get a grip' on myself and investigated. It turned out to be the drainage hole at the back had become blocked when, during my three week absence, two punnets of dead cress had somehow fallen down causing the blockage and water to run out beneath the fridge door.

We live and learn.

Hope you have a good visit with Dhiren today.

Love
Loo xxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
You are not stupid Sylvia. Thousands have done exactly what you did. You did everything right. It is the company who are at fault. I call it "sharp practice" - they might be acting legally but there's a question of morals. How do they sleep at night.
Hope your visit to Dihren goes well. You need a positive experience to end your week xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hi Sylvia. I've always felt guilty that I've not taken up these insurances. They make you feel so irresponsible for not doing so. Dave did once some years ago but i wouldn't let him renew it the following year as a friend used them for a toilet problem and becaues she had 2 loos, they weren't interested. Dave would pay for anything - I discovered that he had taken out a new accident insurance with the same company 4 times over recent years. As it seems pretty unlikely that he'll ever need it, i cancelled them all once I got Deputyship! So now i pray that he won't fall out of bed too heavily!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks so much everyone. It has really helped to be able to offload here.

When I saw Dhiren today I didn`t get the beaming joyful greeting I`m used to, just one of the `polite` smiles he offers to strangers.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Helen. :)
It wasn`t so bad, he accepted a kiss , asked for food and we held hands so I`m thankful. It was just the initial greeting which was almost formal.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It looks like it`s here to stay.

I received the same formal smile today and the only attention paid to me was when I offered food. The rest of the time it was total disinterest, Dhiren staring into space , looking but not seeing, on the periphery of a busy, active sitting room.

He replied when I spoke but soon turned away.

I didn`t need to make any excuse to leave.

`I`m going now.`
`All right.`

I knew it would happen, it`s no big shock. It remains to be seen whether or not it`s permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp