Mrs Thatcher film and dementia

cornish

Dec 12, 2011
Cornwall
Well Said

:)
Hi

As stated earlier, i have not seen the film yet, but can’t wait until next weekend when I hopefully will see it.

Thanks for the link Maryw, I personally don’t agree with most of it but will wait until I see the film before commenting further, the only thing I will say up to now is that Max Pemberton has experience of working with dementia patients, I would give more weight to his views if he lived with it. :rolleyes:

Totally disagree, there is no dementia in this world that would cause me to lose respect for my Mum and I certainly would not lose respect for what Mrs. Thatcher achieved just because she has Dementia, so maybe Max Pemberton should question why he feels there would automatically be a loss of respect for someone suffering dementia????? ..........and as said in an earlier thread, the only indignity in Dementia is ours.
I am surprised that a Doctor working with Dementia has this kind of attitude :eek:

That is exactly what we are fighting to change..........and hopefully this film will go some way towards changing attitudes in the society he talks about.

Alex

Well Said Alex

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks Cornish :)

Hi all

Finally got to see the film :)

The storyline was excellent, the acting was brilliant, and the film itself was very thought provoking. One of the only films I’ve seen where once the credits started to roll at the end, no one got up to leave, everyone stayed in their seat, obviously all deep in thought..........and that’s where we need to be.........making people think long and hard about the effect Dementia has.

As far as the Dementia aspect of the film goes, I’m not sure what all the fuss was about!!!! It was in my opinion a very mild form of confusion, where on days she thought she was getting ready to go to the houses of parliament. It was nowhere near what everyone here on TP goes through on a daily basis :eek:

The whole film was about seeing her political life though her dementia, where her short term memory was poor but her long term memory was very much intact. Yes she was seen talking to her dead husband, but surely that’s what happens? someone suffering Dementia tries to cling to their long term memory, after all, it’s all they have that still makes sense.
Yes it was sad to see the demise of such a strong lady.........but that comes with old age.
Loss of dignity????? Loss of respect????? Complete and utter rubbish :rolleyes:

If Blair & Cameron were objecting to this film being shown because they believed it showed Mrs. T’s loss of dignity then they must have no experience of Dementia at all!!!! :eek: and that’s very worrying as it shows we have such a long way to go before making “decision makers” (past and present) realize what we are up against .......and it also worries me that they have lost touch with reality,..........dementia happens........ get over it........and start doing something about it.

Alex x

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I also saw the film. Meryl Streep is outstanding. It left me wanting to know a great deal more about Thatcher.

I agree with Alex, the dementia part was very mild confusion. But Streep was incredible - her body language, everything was dead on. I would recommend this movie without reservations for her performance alone. Not knowing a great deal about British politics, some of the events portrayed escaped me, particularly the in-fighting in the Tory party. I have heard of it but didn't know any details. The details were also lacking in the film so I'm still very curious and will have to bone up.

The rest of the film was fine but the story was far too truncated for such a larger than life personality.

Was there a loss of dignity? I don't think so. There is an inherent sadness in seeing a capable person lose his abilities but the idea of lack of dignity is in the mind of the beholder, in my opinion. That says more about the commentor.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
The rest of the film was fine but the story was far too truncated for such a larger than life personality.
I agree Joanne, i somehow expected it to be a much bigger storyline but the acting was superb.

Was there a loss of dignity? I don't think so. There is an inherent sadness in seeing a capable person lose his abilities but the idea of lack of dignity is in the mind of the beholder, in my opinion. That says more about the commentor.

Hear hear Joanne

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

katya

Jan 24, 2012
milrton keynes
Hi,

I have seen the film and thought it interesting and thought provoking but way too ambitious. It tried to grapple with three complex subjects, bereavement, dementia and a controversial political career - a bit much to fit successfully into an hour and a half.

In terms of how the film dealt with dementia the bit that jarred most for me was that there was no reference to the actual day to day work of caring. No one was seen playing with the elderly Mrs Thatcher, eating with her, talking to her, making an effort to share her world. No wonder she talked to her dead husband. She had no one else to talk to.

Whatever one thought of her politics Mrs Thatcher had the capacity to inspire loyalty and commitment. Is it too much to expect that some of her life long friends would now take the trouble to visit her, spend time with her and enjoy the person she is now? if they do these things why was it not shown in the film?

Katya