Have spent my carer's direct payments on day care/respite - what will happen?

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
We have received absolutely nothing in the way of help with day care or respite from Social Services despite the amount I am saving them in care home fees or the detrimental effect on my health of looking after someone in the latter stages of Alzheimer's who is also doubly incontinent. I am providing 24 hour a day care for my father, no days off, not an unbroken night's sleep, nothing.

When I did my Carer's Assessment (before he came home from a nursing home and I knew what I was really in for; I didn't even know that he didn't sleep through the night - I was told he did - really good monitoring of residents there then!), I asked for only one thing; to be able to attend a one and a half hour a week singing class with my Mum. No-one at Social Services had the common sense to ask the next logical question - what do you need from us to be able to achieve this and what does it cost? - they simply came up with a figure, seemingly plucked from the air, to cover the cost of everything I might need and ending with 'for my health, wellbeing and relaxation' which is a very broad umbrella and which I have taken to the full extent of its meaning.

Given that we are not getting any help with day care as we cannot afford the contribution Social Services want us to make, there is no way on earth that I have the opportunity to have any time for my health, wellbeing and relaxation. Are they suggesting that I take my father to the singing class with me, to sit quietly in the corner in his wheelchair? I have no time away from him and, therefore, there is no way of having any relaxation at all. The only way to be able to go to the class - my only time off all week, and my only precious time with my mother where we are not having to think about Daddy every second - was to have someone from an agency sit with him, all day, boringly, in our house, at a staggering cost of between £80 and £100 or to send him off to day care at a local nursing home at a cost of £65 (plus the Bustler fare). He has activities all day, is safe, warm, well fed and has other people to talk to - perfect - but I have had to use my carer's direct payment monies to pay for it, as we will have to do for a place at the local Alzheimer's day centre in a few weeks. That is only £20 including the Bustler but they can't take him on the day of our class. So this way, he will have two days with other things going on, tailored to his particular needs, and my mother and I get to have a day out, and a day at home, without Daddy, to recover our senses, rest, catch up on the endless laundry etc.

But what is going to happen when I do the reconciliations and they see what I have done with the money? They have a duty of care to me to and have failed me miserably, I feel as though I have a good case to plead given their inadequacy but have other people had any experience of this?

I think that the Social Services people are idiots in the way they deal with everything, and really, what else could I possibly do? These are the same, wildly out of touch people who were going to give my father a £50 a week payment to hire a carer to take him fishing. He is 85, unsteady even with a stick and has a history of falls, add into the mix a carer who, as we all know, because of Health and Safety rules will let him fall if he is going to, near water, and you have a clearly forseeable recipe for disaster. What moron came up with such an idea? One clearly showing they have absolutely no idea what the reality of life with dementia is like, and one who should not be in a position of power where they can make any decisions that affect the lives of people who do. I asked my father if he would like to go fishing even once or twice - trust me, the maximum he would want to go in a year, never mind weekly! - and, bless him, even at his stage of dementia, he said, "no, not now, not 'til I'm better" so even he (at around stage 6, I think) has more powers of reasoning than a so called 'normal' person holding down a well paid (?) job. Ludicrous!

I have suggested that anyone at Social Services who is dealing with people with dementia should, as part of their training, be made to live with a person/family dealing with this disease so they have some idea of what they are dealing with rather than living in the cloud-cuckoo-land they seem to live in, having absolutely no idea whatsoever as it would seem is the case. Let them deal with the sodden pyjamas and bedclothes twice a night and the poo on the carpet first thing, followed by just one day of the behaviour we now view as normal to us as a family, and see how they stand it, see how it changes the ridiculous arrangements they make and their nonsensical behaviour.

So, anyone else had to do this, and what will be the outcome?

And a last funny thing just to remind myself most of all that what we do isn't all gloom, doom and despondency; I woke up before 5.00 a.m. to find my father had taken off his wet nightclothes and was standing stark naked in the hall but wearing his beanie hat which was on the hall table. I had to laugh, he looked so ridiculous, but it obviously made sense to him; 'I'm naked, I'm cold and wet from the waist down but at least I'll have a warm head' - bless.

Last edited:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I hope somebody better experienced than me will answer your desperate plea soon, but as no-one has so far, I thought I ought to just wish you the best of luck, and say hang on in there.

Love

Margaret

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I have no idea what Carer's Direct payments are paid for, it's not something I have come across on my route through the maze yet, but surely that is what you are using them for....caring that is???? I do hope you manage to keep getting your sanity breaks.
You'll have to tell Dad that a gentleman takes his hat off too in the house.:D:D Bless.x.x.

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Hi,

The money you have been awarded is for you to have a break from your dad, and if, rather than you going on a day out or whatever, your dad is going out so you can have a day in, I cannot see why there would be an objection.
I would be in the same position as you, had it not been for the fact we have just been awarded CHC funding. My MIL is not expected to have much longer and I would not be going on holiday or any outing, so to have a break from looking after mum would have been looking to have carers in so as to have a break from caring or enabling me to sleep. I would have been incensed if that would have been objected to. I would be inclined to just send in the day centre receipts and see if it gets queried, or if you're really worried just phone the SW or finance dept. Maybe somebody else has had experience of this and I am interested to hear what happens.

Coletta xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I think the problem here is that there is usually an agreement, in advance, between the local authority and the recipient of Direct Payments as to what the money is going to be spent on. Unlike things such as DLA or Carer Allowance - these are simply cash benefits that can be used in any way the recipient wishes, this is why it is not necessary to keep accounts of how they are spent - whereas with Direct Payments you need to do so as the local authority willcheck to make sure they are being spent for the stated purpose. This is to prevent the funds being misused.

Moreover, the rules are clear that if a carer receives Direct Payments then these must not be used to secure services for the person they care for - in that case the person being cared for would themselves need DP's in their own right. The government website states

"What direct payments cannot be used for

You cannot use direct payments to buy services for the person you care for. They can only be spent on getting the support you, as a carer, have been assessed as needing.

You also cannot use direct payments to secure a service from your spouse or civil partner, close relatives or anyone who lives in the same household as you, unless that person is someone who you have specifically recruited to be a live-in employee.

There can be exceptional circumstances, which your council may agree with you.
"

So it sppears that there can be exceptions but the local authority must agree to them.

I can only advise that you be open and honest with the local authority as to what has happened, and why.

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
Thank you all for your comments, and for taking the time to reply.

My only hope is the letter sent in yesterday to Head of Adult Social Care in our county requesting an immediate - and long overdue - meeting to discuss the issues I have raised, and the help we need. I have found, in the past, that when SS mess up, as they have done with us, they are desperate that you do not make a formal complaint and they will bend over backwards i.e. pretty much give you everything you have asked for, in order to achieve that. They don't want the scrutiny of outside independent sources, they want to keep their mistakes and failings hidden. That meeting would be the time to bring this up.

And if I don't get anywhere with the this woman, then I am going straight to our M.P. Wondering whether to get the ball rolling with him anyway, but then don't want to waste his time if it can be sorted out with SS.

Last edited:

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
The government website states

"What direct payments cannot be used for

You cannot use direct payments to buy services for the person you care for. They can only be spent on getting the support you, as a carer, have been assessed as needing.

There can be exceptional circumstances, which your council may agree with you.
"

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this, I only went by the wording of the agreement I signed which doesn't say anything like the above, but I will use the part about getting the support I needed as my starting point.

Last edited:

Cal5

Jan 24, 2011
South Coast UK

My only hope is the letter sent in yesterday to Head of Adult Social Care in our county requesting an immediate - and long overdue - meeting to discuss the issues I have raised, and the help we need....

And if I don't get anywhere with the this woman, then I am going straight to our M.P. Wondering whether to get the ball rolling with him anyway, but then don't want to waste his time if it can be sorted out with SS.

Sorry if this is obvious, but a better next/first port of call here should be your local County Councillor. He/she should be able to pull the chain of the head of Social Services for you. This certainly worked for us after getting no joy in requesting a Carer's Assessment. Things started happening once our County Councillor started asking questions of the assistant head of Adult Services.

Sorry to hear your difficult story. Good you can find things to laugh about. I have to admit our humour gets pretty dark at times...

Cheers

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
I get three hours a week Direct payments, to allow me and my husband some time to ourselves away from MIL and to go to local AZ meetings if we want.

I have been told we can use the payments to buy in care, in our case because MIL would not be seen dead in a day centre, this is a sitter to make sure she is safe at home on her own.

I can "save up" the hours to spend on a day out, but what I can't do, and I can't understand the distinction here, is pay for overnight care for her if we chose to go away for a few days. I am told that she would have to pay for that herself as she is self funding, the payments are based on our income.

I can't imagine that spending the money on day care is not within the original agreement. They can only ask for it back, and if you haven't got it I suggest you tell them you'll pay £1 a week!!!

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
Sorry if this is obvious, but a better next/first port of call here should be your local County Councillor.

Funnily enough, he was our first port of call but it took three attempts to even get in contact with him - another one who won't e-mail or 'phone you back! - and he was going to modify my letters - I think not! I have a degree in English and my writing is clear enough, thank you very much! Plus, I got the distinct impression that he, like local councillors that I've met so far, and, to be honest, our Carer's Support representative, was very willing to go to meetings with the big cheeses, supposedly on my behalf, but it just felt like he was going to 'big himself up' - 'look how kind and important I am, meeting all the big guns, representing the little people ...' and I truly didn't feel like he would achieve anything.

Despite this, because I didn't know what else to do - hadn't found this site then - I forwarded all the documents to him in mid-October, he said he would e-mail the Director of Adult Social Care "as soon as possible" and that was the last I heard from him so I guess I was right.

Oh well, hopefully bigger guns on the case now!

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
They can only ask for it back, and if you haven't got it I suggest you tell them you'll pay £1 a week!!!

Excellent idea! But wouldn't it would be so much better if they took me to court and their behaviour and incompetence, and all the stress they have caused me and my mother came out?

I could take along the fistful of hair that appears in the plughole every time I wash my hair as proof of the stress, and, my 'earnings' work out at 58p an hour for 24/7 care so being chased for a very small debt by a council who wasted £250 million last year alone on respite beds that were booked, paid for and never used might get some coverage and comment, don't you think?

Cal5

Jan 24, 2011
South Coast UK
Firstly, sorry to hear that your county councillor is such a waste of space. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be uncommon, I guess I just struck lucky(..ish). You might consider politicising this, and go to someone from the opposite local party. For example, if you councillor is a member of the controlling group, try the leader of the local opposition, or vice versa.

Your press/publicity route may well be worth a try. However, my recent attempts to shame the local council in the press, after they announced ludicrous charges for adult day care, fell rather flat. Childcare issues seem to make more headlines than care for the elderly, unfortunately, and I think we carers are too often far too busy with caring duties to make enough of a fuss.

I'm also increasingly surprised by how much councils are prepared to spend on PR and legal professionals to justify and defend their incompetence...

Sorry I can't offer any sage advice.

Cheers