Wheee! Highlight of the day

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Pleased it has been a good day Nutty Nan. You reminded me of when mum had one of those cards, she used to walk around opening and closing it. Lasted for weeks!
Love
Helen

PatH

Feb 14, 2005
N.Ireland
Hubby's Birthday

So happy for you both. It's amazing how this disease makes us appreciate every precious minute.
Pat

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Feel almost guilty.........so many 'good' days and moments at present.

Lionel is not allowed alcohol with the latest anti phsycotic drugs, butwhen he came home yesterday I said "shall I make us a weak Pimm's.

He reply was "did you say a week of Pimm's" That's my Lionel.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Connie, I can remember that one so well, get some non alcohol wine and use that for Lionel, (he wont notice the difference) Then you can enjoy your Pimms without feeling guilty. This worked for my Mum anyway! Lotsaluv, She. XX

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
My highlight? Peeking at New posts at 11.00am and seeing Sheila had posted - thing was running so slow though that I didn't have time to open it.
Hiya Sheila, how are you doing?
Love, Helen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Gee Helen, didnt know I could get to be a highlight, I am extremely flattertated!!:cool: I do slink in from time to time, just to see how you all are, I still think about you all and "the cause". I am doing OK, up to our eyes in babys right now, my niece has just had a little boy, Ryan, 6lb 10 1/2 ozs. Today, I was looking after our Katie, (now 9 months going on two years!!) As her Dad and Mum were up in London for his chemotherapy. Shes into everything and walking round the furniture. Loves "The Wiggles" (Aussie toddlers band.) Amy came round with Ryan and we got some pics of them together. Its lovely, just such a shame my Mum and Aunt are not here to see, they would have been so happy. Hope you are OK? And of course all other TPers?, lotsanlotsof luvanhugsanstuff, She. XX:)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Dear Sheila

For God's sake don't "slink in" and out without saying anything! Your wise words and kindness have been such a steadying hand for so many of us, you're an honoured guest. Also the fact that life moves on again from sadness & death to new babies & some family normality is something we all need reminding of now & again, when so many days seem dark & stressful.

Hugs

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Well said Lynne! Sheila if you didn't think you could be a 'highlight', just shows how much you undervalue yourself.
Love Helen

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
things change

Dad's hardly opened his eyes or lifted his head for over a week. No sign of recognising anything or anyone. Last night I got in a really bad state because I thought he was just going to give up and die. I was so upset that today my cousin came with me to visit him (there's time when it's hell being an only child and this is one of them). He was sitting in the chair with a huge plaster over a gash on his head. Seems he'd had another fall this morning and banged his head. :(

..... but it seemed to have knocked some life into him. He looked up and smiled and said hello. He was pretty dopey still but more upright in his chair. Me and cousin sat either side of him, each holding one of his hands. He started taking each of our hands in turn, up to his mouth and kissing them. He was smiling as he was doing it. It was so lovely to have him interacting and seeming to enjoy something after the horrid week we've just had :)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
My highlight was at 6pm when we got mum onto the lawn at the NH in her wheelchair, and then managed to get her onto a rug on the floor, and we sat in the sunshine and dad reminisced about 52 years ago, the eve of their wedding. The evening sun shone on us, and our hearts were at peace.
Helen

Tina

May 19, 2006
highlight from 10 days ago

Thought I'd share these two with you. I saw my gramps in his nursing home two weeks ago, on one of my two-monthly dashes over to the UK. He's been in a home for nearly five years now, and he had his 90th birthday last Sunday, for which, unfortunately, I couldn't be with him. He's weak and frail and tired and not very responsive any more, being nursed in bed, but still likes his pudding and anything sweet. Sometimes I get sad when I see him - he used to be such a strong, upright bloke, the sort that towers over you and makes you feel protected and safe. Now he's very small in his bed and we've had a few health scares with him in the last 6 months.
Most of the time he's asleep or dozing, but every now and again there's that little spark and a bit of the old gramps and his wicked, wicked sense of humour shines through. When he's awake and alert, you could be lucky - he could be taking in what you're saying and makes all the right noises, lots of "thank you" and "oh really" and "isn't that nice" and "good grief", or he could be way back in the past and away with the fairies because he's lost sense of time and place and while the diagnosis "dementia" has never been made, certain signs are there. But he's calm and quiet and lots of the "problems" and symptoms of dementia sufferers mentioned on TP don't really apply to him. And hey, he IS 90 years old, he is entitled to lose track of place and time...:)

Anyway, on this particular visit, I walked into his room and saw he was alert, eyes wide open, looking "with it", so I said "hey gramps, it's Tina come to visit you." No reaction. So I walk up to his bed, take his hand and repeat "hi gramps, it's Tina here." Back comes the very dry reply "yes, hello, I heard you the first time." I laughed heartily....this is the gramps I know. Made me go home to Germany with a less heavy heart because I had a really good visit.

When my dad saw him a few days later, gramps was hallucinating a bit, saw a dog in the room, etc., but dad played along nicely and they had a very animated conversations about this dog. Then gramps switched over to his days in the RAF and got a bit worked up, kept saying "I need to speak to the CA, I need to speak to the CA." My dad didn't know what he was getting at, so he said to gramps: "dad, who's the C A, what does he do?"
Apparently gramps looked at him as though he was from Mars and then said, very slowly, very clearly and very pronounced (as though talking to an imbecile): " The CA is the Clerical Assistant, you nit!" Clearly thought this young Greenhorn wasn't up to the job and why would the Warrant Officer have to explain ranks and job titles....:D Just makes you wonder how the brain works, doesn't it....great mystery a lot of the time.

Tina

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
brightest star

HI ALL ,just got back from a months holiday in tenerife, well dont envy me too much , it was all hard work , scrubbing out my daughters old apartment ,then fully redecorating ,her new one , single handed , now i love doing this ,but at the same time i was looking after my 5 year old grandaughter full time as well , as she is home for 3 months holiday , well the highlight was sitting on the balcony with my grandaughter ,on a lovely starry night , when she said out of the blue , "good night grandad ,see you tommorow " she was waving up to a very bright star , now it was at least 18 months since she saw him ,a few months before he died , though she has a photo of him in the apartment , we had not spoke about him during this holiday , but they were very close and she would pop sweeties into his mouth ,when he did not know how to take them from her , i was so touched that she seems to remember him ,all my 5 grandaughters were very gentle with him , and thankfully never saw him during his brief spells of aggression . ANGELA

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
my highlight today was getting a text off my son to say he's landed safely in L.A after checking arrivals at L.A airport site on and off all day even though i knew he wasnt landing till 5.45:eek: :rolleyes:

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
OOOps! posted my "highlight of the day" in the tea room....."one positive thing each day"!
Guess I'm feeling a bit giddy!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Wendy, I'm sure no one will mind. If you've got giddiness to share please spread it around as much as you can!!!!!:) I'm sure there's plenty more like me sure could use some....;)

Love, Karen (TF),

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Late afternoon,the sun was shining.
Peg and I sat in the garden for a whole hour,talked about the garden,the plants the flowers.
the best hour I have had in years, at peace together,as it used to be.
Norman

Last edited:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Son's exam results

Well I sure wanna blow my whistle today so here goes:-

Maths C, Double award Science B, Religious studies short course B, Drama B, English A, and English Literatre A.

I thnk he made it look easy securing his place at collge, We're so proud of him!:)

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
how wonderfull, i remember i cried buckets when my son got his results, well done to him:)