Update on Lionel

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, that's wonderful.

I'm so glad you had such a lovely visit, you must be feeling very positive now!:)

Love and hugs,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
you must be feeling very positive now!

Trying to be Hazel. Start my chemo Friday so will have to see just how it affects me visiting my man. Hopefully not too much.

Anyway, I have today to treasure. Love n'hugs

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Connie

I can imagine just how uplifted you must have felt - wonderful and heart-warming.:)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Connie:

You have had some good moments with Lionel this past few days. I will think of you on Friday and hope you are not restricted in seeing Lionel.
I shall not look at a choc button again without thinking of you feeding them to Lionel:D:D

Love Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Connie..

It's lovely to hear about your uplifting visit with Lionel....what a complete contrast to the tears.:)

Wishing you all the best for Friday...I'll be thinking of you.

love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Every day a bonus

Had a good visit with Lionel today.

Went in early, had coffee etc. He kissed me so enthusiastically at one stage he bit my lip......but I would forgive him anything.:)

Lovely lunch, and then he had a little sleep. I had to leave him at 2.00pm in order to then visit my brother. Unfortunately he awoke just before I left and the tears started.:confused:
I made my apologies to him and left. We had three good hours together, and that is more than some people have, so I refuse to feel down.

Picture attached is Lionel having his sherry this morning, bless him.:D

100_1234.jpg

This picture is me with my brother in the hospice. He is fast running out of time. So hence my message 'ever day is a bonus'

100_1235.jpg

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Connie so pleased you has a good visit, lionel seems to be really enjoing his glass of sherry and your joy that he is shows so much in that picture, how are the mouth ulcers , your brother has same twinkle in his eyes. take care pam

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Connie

I am so pleased that you had a wonderful visit with Lionel this morning -a passionate kiss eh;)

Your brother has the most wonderful eyes and you look wonderful altogether:)

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Connie,

What wonderful photos, thanks so much for sharing. Hope you are feeling a bit better in body as well as in soul. Have to hand it to you Connie, you look great!! No one would believe what you are going through to look at you. :)

Vonny xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Connie:

I love these photos too.

I can only repeat 'every day is a bonus' and you prove that in so many ways.

I love the idea of sherry before lunch :) I shall take in a bottle on Sunday for David - an excuse because it is his 80th birthday, but maybe something we should experience more regularly.

Your men folk look extremely well cared for and you are REMARKABLE.

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie

I can only echo everyone else. You look wonderful. I wish you felt as good as you look.
I`m glad you had a good day with Lionel but so sorry about the tears. Your brother looks very frail but anyone would tell he is your brother.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie

I'm sorry I missed your post. My time on TP has been in short bursts for the last few days, couldn't sit still for long!

You look wonderful! No one would ever know what you are going through, and I know you're keeping up appearances for Lionel. You are such a brave lady, I take my hat off to you.

Lionel does look well, he's a very good colour. And you and your brother are very alike, though he's so frail looking.

It must have done wonders for them both that you managed to see them. But please take care of yourself too. I hope the second course of chemo is not too awful for you.

Love and hugs,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie...

I can only echo what everyone else has already said...you look absolutely wonderful....:)....and you are one very remarkable lady..

Love xx

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Hi Connie
I wish you loads more time with Lionel and loads more sunny days in the garde. Live each day, he does remember just keep that comfort. Our MIl is out of suffering now, and we now have to adjust like you its not something we looked forward to and wished so hard for more time with her BUT she is now out of pain and suffering and thats now what we just have to keep saying.
BUT as usual my thoughts and love are with you, you remain so very strong and positive, you are an amazing women, and such a help to everyone on TP. You take care of yourself as well as Lionel.....YOU MATTER. xxxxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Nothing went to plan

Thought I would be able to go on to Norfolk to visit my brother today, after visiting Lionel as usual.

However having a few nasty side effects from the chemo. put paid to the long trip.

Saw my dear man. First hour and a half I could have been anybody. No reaction, eyes shut, although he opened his mouth for his food (I am always grateful for that).

For the first hour after lunch he cried. He was agitated, his body jerking constantly. I asked for one of the carers to help me get him onto his bed. This we managed quite successfully.

Then we were joined by another carer - such a blessing.
Lionel has no movement in his legs, they are permanently bent at odd agles to his body. We could manoever his trousers and pad off, clean him and replace new pad. Unfortunately the bottom of his shirt and vest were damp, so they had to be removed.

The only part of his body he can move independantly are his arms.
Locked rigid, he swung them around like a cricket bat. No way was he bending them for us. Twenty minutes later we finally managed to get his arm bent enough to remove his top half of clothing and replace clean vest. (I was just about to cut his shirt off with the scissors:eek:) All the time he was jerking and calling mummummummum.

Have no idea if it is his mother he is crying for, or whether it is just sounds. He then dropped off to sleep quite naturally, although his body does not seem at rest.
But at least I could sit with him, he as peaceful as he can be at this time. Precious moments. Left him about 4 pm.

Arrived home to message from my SIL that my brother is fading, and did not accept visitors today. I would still have liked to be there with him.
I shall endeavor to see him on Sunday. Chemo stops tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to do the drive (It is the soles of my feet that are affected - the chemo is leeching out and making the skin tender and very inflamed)

Just hope that Lionel settles and does not have an epileptic seizure - it seemed like it was building towards that today. The staff report him calm tonight.

We shall wait and see what the next few days bring.
Just have to hope and pray.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie

There are so many demands on you just now. :(
I`m not implying others are demanding of you, but I`m saying you are so demanding of yourself.
And it is right you want to see your brother, especially as he is fading, and it`s right you need to see Lionel for we all know how important he is in your life, and it is right you need to look after yourself and allow the chemo to be effective.
And as with so many, there is no answer.
Just take as good a care of yourself as you can Connie.
With love xx

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Connie
If I lived nearer and now I have got a more reliable car I would gladly drive you to see your brother.

I agree with Sylvia you NEED to take care of you too

Much love

Julie xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie...

You are dealing with so much just now...if anyone can get through this you can.

Stay strong and know that we all care about you.

Sending you love..and as many hugs as you can handle.

Love xx