Frontal Temporal Lobe Degeneration

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Review - update.........

Now IM SOOO confused......Review today with docs, nurses, social etc - asking us what our long term plan is? WHAT? Before xmas we were told there was not much time left, he's deteriorating rapidly, he wouldnt be leaving the unit and we thought we were losing him - now they are asking what our long term plan is...when i reminded them of this they said they arent going to release him from the unit as they are still assessing him and we dont have to worry about at the moment. Well why ask us then?
The consultant even said that he may be in a position to hand over power of attorney in a few months time when he gets a bit more stable.....WHAT? Why are they contradicting themselves? They admit they dont know what on earth is going on with him so how can they say these things and get our hopes up. I can clearly see that my dad is getting worse by the day, he wont eat, FACT - hes losing weight FACT - His diabetes is shot to pieces, FACT. He cant hardly speak, he needs 12 1 assistance to do everything. What the hell are they talking about?
Nothing whatsoever was achieved today. Social Worked just sniggered when I said perhaps we should have a separate meeting with them to discuss a way forward with regards to future care/benefits, when i asked what he meant by that he just said it is an unknown quantity and we should wait until the assessment is finished. they were all so bloody incipid I wanted to scream. Sorry about the rant but I am really peeeeved and confused......so i went shopping with mum and brought some new clothes.

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Sending him home????

I just cant believe what happened today - the assessment unit phoned they have been trying to get dad in to have an Xray at the hospital next door. First time he wouldnt leave the unit, second time they got him in the car but he wouldnt go into the hospital he was too scared. So mum is going to try and take him with them next week. This is good as they think he may have a chest problem so want to check. Good, pro-active care.
Also in the phone call they said they are bringing him home next Thurs to see what reaction he has. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Personally I think its a bad idea, and after discussions prior to Xmas we were told dad probably wouldnt be moved as it would be too distressing and confusing. How can they send a man who wont eat, can hardly stand, and cant control his bladder, and that is in the late stages of dementia, and is very poorly back to his home? We are scared that after the meeting yesterday they are trying to get dad to be taken home and offer care there.
Are we in a position to refuse to accept him home? Is this the right thing to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And this happens when I have to go away to work for a week and mum is looking after little one. Are we getting to used to life without dad at home and scared that him coming back is going to cause more problems or is it that we really dont think it is in his best interest? I dont know and once again am totally confused and upset.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you're asking about the legal aspects - yes you can refuse to have him home. No one (spouse or otherwise) can be forced to be a carer. In your position I'd be asking exactly what they are trying to achieve. It may be that they are attempting to tick a box that says "could he return home" yes/no so that when asked they can say truthfully that he needs a different placement. I have to say though, I would have though this could have been achieved, if that was the point, without all the upset involved. You may have a new person (OT or otherwise) who isn't familiar with what has gone before, so I'd be reigning in their enthusiasm before that attempt this. You could definitely tell them that Thursday is no good due to family commitments and they need to reschedule.

I'm sorry I can't really advise you as to whether having him home is the right thing or not - it's really up to your mum and you may not be able to get a straight answer from her.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Are we getting to used to life without dad at home and scared that him coming back is going to cause more problems or is it that we really dont think it is in his best interest?

Dear Makalu, I am not surprised that you feel utterly confused and are posing questions like the one above.

We know that you have only ever had his best interests at heart.
I would just say to make sure that you have a very good care package in place before you even think of having dad at home.
These things are so hard to set up after the event and take so much time.

Your dear dad has been receiving 1-2-1 care on a number of occasions, from trained carers. Not always easy in a home environment. Take care now.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Your mother, if she is anything like me, will need all your help and support. From reading your posts it would seem to me that it would be impossible for dad to return home for both medical and social reasons. I would not let them put him through this just so they can tick their boxes!!

No one in their right mind could say that your dad is medically fit enough to return home, surely?????

xxTinaT

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
Dearest everyone, thanks once again for your useful and kind comments.
I/we have decided that its not the right time for him to come home for a visit. Im working away at an exhibition until 19th Jan, and mums looking after little one, its too much to expect her to cope with this on her own next Thurs. On Weds mum has to go and try to coax him into the hospital to have his chest xray so to go thro this on the thurs will just be too much for her on her own especially after looking after baby too. And what happens if he does come and has a nice time at home then gets taken home how will mum feel and worst of all - how will poor daddy feel? Its all too soon. Mum will phone on Monday and cancel the arrangements then when I am back home we will ask to meet the consultant to find out the reasons and possible benefits to this venture. i feel bad enough that im away for work and havent seen dad for three days. Thanks once again to all of u. much love.

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
If you didn't know better you could that the doctors are messing around with your Dad here. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest he comes home and 'sees if he gets upset.' He isn't a guinea pig.

When my nan (she had Lewy Body) went to the EMI unit at a nursing home, they said my mum may be able to take her home for a day. But her dog , who she was devoted to, was with us and that certainly would have upset her, so my mum never took her out. You and your Mum know the answer to this suggestion. It's what's best for your Dad that matters.

Why can't specially trained staff take your Dad for an x-ray? I'd say that this is something from experience in my job, that needs doing pronto if they suspect he has a chest infection. it can easily turn into pneumonia in someone who isn't mobile. I know how hard it was for me and my Mum to get my Dad to sit and eat his lunch (in between sweeping the streets) but the nurses at the hospital managed without incidence. The staff who look after your dad should take him for his x-ray NOW. What if your mum can't do it? Are they not going to bother?

My Mum and I have thought what happens if my Dad was to come home and we've been told by the consultant and the MHT that there will be a care package in place before he does. I know how you feel when you say that you're used to your Dad not being at home because we are too. My Mum looks better although obviously still worried about my dad. She sleeps or if she doesn't at least she's not worried what my Dad might be up to. I'm not worried how stressed he made her because I know if he's up all night (and he is) then the fresh night staff are with him not my Mum.

My Mum would struggle to do the feeding and toileting for my Dad. She doesn't relish the idea of it at all. There's no way we could lift my Dad. He's still a strong man. The staff might be able to suggest to you and your mum, but if you're unhappy then the answer has to be no.

Take care

Joanne

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
We know that you have only ever had his best interests at heart.
I would just say to make sure that you have a very good care package in place before you even think of having dad at home.
These things are so hard to set up after the event and take so much time.

Your dear dad has been receiving 1-2-1 care on a number of occasions, from trained carers. Not always easy in a home environment. Take care now

Your dear dad has been receiving 1-2-1 care on a number of occasions, from trained carers. Not always easy in a home environment

That really good advise , your mother should tell them that .

Social Worked just sniggered when I said perhaps we should have a separate meeting with them to discuss a way forward with regards to future care/benefits, when i asked what he meant by that he just said it is an unknown quantity and we should wait until the assessment is finished.

Challenge them on that, don't feel guilty on it .

They beat around the bush, try all different option before they consider continuing nursing care for your father , bet that why they want you father to try it out at home for the day .( but they never tell you that ) Your father really needs nursing care, because your father insulin dependent. I could never cope with my mother if my mother was to became insulin dependent. My mother is diabetic, but is on tablets .

They would have to include a district matron to motor your father injection of insulin in the care packet, if your mother was to bring your father home, as it gets too much for your mother to cope with. If your mother tells them that she can cope with all that, they just let her get on with it.
My mother also does not like appointment in hospital, like your father with X-ray, but only go if I go with her, she so challenging really hard trying to get my mother into a taxi, as all her balance is going.
Don’t let them put your mother on a guilt trip, if she can’t cope alone at home , or even with a care packet

If your mother , did bring your father home . Your have to put your foot down with them, in wanting nursing care included in that Care packet .

peteanddo

Jan 14, 2009
Liverpool
Primary Progressive Aphasia

Hello everyone,
Just joined and wish to introduce myself.

My name is Peter, and my wife Doreen, was diagnosed with PPA, which is the communication variant of Fronto Temporal Dementia, at 55 years of age, in 2002.

She progresses very slowly, and is now virtually mute!

I am a member of the Pick's Disease support Group, and assist the UK North West Regional PDSG advisor, in running a face to face support group, at the NeuroSupport Centre, in Norton Street, Liverpool. We meet every 2 months.

I am also the Administrator/Moderator of www.ftdsupportforum.com

FTD Support Forum is a forum which support FTD Carers and sufferers world wide. The forum was conceived in January 2008, after involvement with Yahoo Forums, was found to limit the needs of the membership.

We now have 1370 members worldwide,
and growing daily, with 17 Moderators. 2 from the UK, 1 from Spain, 1 from NZ, 1 Australian and the remainder from the US.

We regard the security of our members highly, and do everything to ensure the safety of their personal information.

The forum is moderated virtually 24/7.

We have 40 sub-forums, covering all aspects of FTD, including stages, benefit advice, "what to tell the children!, incontinences issues, driving, and even a humorous section.

The value of Alzheimer's Talking Point and FTD Support Forum cannot be underestimated, and I well remember the feeling of isolation I felt when my wife was diagnosed with PPA remains with me still. FTD Forum helped me overcome that feeling of desperation, and isolation.

It is good to talk to people who actually understand what caring for a dementia sufferer involves.

I look forward to being an active member of "Talking Point", and do hope you don't mind me extending the invitation to the FTD Sufferers and carers.

Take care,

Peter.

michaelhamilton

Nov 24, 2008
Kelso, Scottish Borders
Hi Peter

Hi Peter,

Good to see you on here too.

You will know that the Az Soc recognises our FTD Support Forum as well as providing support for all FTD sufferers and their carers although as we know Az Disease and FTD are different forms of dementia - FTD being usually of far earlier onset and of much more rapid development. I have seen it written that a FTD patient deteriorates in one month as much as an Az patient deteriorates in one year.

I enjoyed my time as a co-Moderator with you on the FTD Support Forum before Mary's condition became so demanding that I had to resign although continuing as an active member of the Forum.

Best of luck everyone. I joined Az Soc several years ago - thanks for all the support on here and from the Society in general.

Michael.

Last edited:

peteanddo

Jan 14, 2009
Liverpool
Hi Michael,

Good to see you here also.

I had seen your name in another thread. It was good working with you on the Forum, I am glad that you are still an active member!

Regards,

Peter.:)

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
What a week..........

we've had, been working away, came back on Thursday night to go to a funeral on Friday, mum called first thing to say that dad had been rushed into hospital Weds night having has glucose levels gone hypo and he went unconscious. Panic stations.
Werent allowed to visit him til 11am and he got discharged at 10.30am.
Lying on the bed in a ward off A&E was my tiny little 9 and a half stone daddy, skin and bone. Up, down, up down, taking off his trousers in the ward weeing all over the place. One of the mental health nurses had been with him constantly and was trying to calm him down and guide him. The general nurses just stood around looking awkward. He was going hypo again, so i asked for a glucose check for the 2nd time in an hour much to their annoyance. They can only comment on dad in the 12 hours he had been there and there comment was that he was stable but unstable. What on earth does that mean? Apparently some diabetics are just unstable and hes one of them, this is how it will be from now on, GI checks every 30 minutes.
He then had to wait for 5 hours to see the dietician on the ward. Who recommends high sugar/carb diet. Which is what he always used to have when at home ( he would never eat anything healthy mum cooked) On the assessment ward he is on a diabetic diet, no sugar whatsoever, So we have insisted that she speaks to the consultant and they get a move on this and get his weight up a bit in the next few weeks. I'll put money on it that this plan gets stopped before dad gets any of the food. SHes probably right the huge change in diet has contributed towards the 3.5 stone weight loss in 9 weeks. Different departments different priorities. Mental v. Medical health......

Mum then broke down and started crying in front of all the nurses who just stood there and sloped off one by one. I took her to our OT and we got everything off our chest about the review, the lack of support, the social workers attitude, the inappropriate questions they had asked about dads future and the rash decision to bring him home for day, most of which she was in agreement with. So now they know what i expect to hear at the review: A summary of dads health in the few weeks since last meeting, The results of any treatment, where we are now, and what changes are to be made for the next few weeks and assessments. At least now we have an agenda to stick to.

Took ma to the Drs and got her some sleeping pills and shes changing her a/d to one that doesnt surpress her appetite and getting some counselling. Halleluya i feel like i have achieved something this weekend. Although poor mum has to wean herself off the Venlaflaxin for a few days b4 starting the new drug shes having a real cold turkey weekend. At least shes sleeping though. Tomorrow is a new week and a new day & I have to go to work, am due to have a breakdown myself soon so standby....

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Just read your post,don't know where to start. Welldone for getting help for your mum she must be so tired and tense. Just make sure you take care of you, you sound like you are under so much pressure,my heart goes out to you. None of the so called professionals seem to be making it any easier for you either.general Hospitals have no clue how to handle this illness,maybe a couple of nurses should be trained in mental illness'.(won't hold my breath!)

You Keep going and I will be thinking of you,your mum and your dad.
Love Lisa.xxxx

penguin629

Nov 9, 2008
Shropshire
What a bloody nightmare.

General nurses don't seem to have a clue how to look after dementia patients. When my dad was on the surgical ward having a hernia repair, they offered to keep my dad till after lunch but as soon as he became too much of a handful and they couldn't cope they rang me (I work at the hospital) because they couldn't get hold of my Mum to come and fetch him!

But honestly how worrying for you, seeing your mum and your Dad both so low. I'm glad that things are getting sorted for your mum. It's so important that Mums are looked after. I just want to look after mine too!

Hope things settle down with your dad. Let us know how you all get on.

Thinking of you.

Jo

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
My daddy is eating!!!

Hi everyone, havent been on for a couple of weeks as so much has happened! Dads drug is now metazapan which is making him hungry and with his new diet of anything and verything, he is stuffing his little face. He's put two kilos on in the last week. Which is great news. He looks so happy and is very chatty in his own little way. He was making the nurses laugh and to quote them 'he is a joy to nurse'! its fabulous. Such a change.
Mum on the other hand is a complete mess. Cries all the time, cant sleep, cant get out of bed, she spent two weeks with the flu as well as the difficult period of drug change over. Im at the end of my tether i just dont know what to do for her. Her counsellor had double booked her and turner her away for the week, now she things im been mean as i told her to go and see dad (shes been up twice in the last 3 weeks). It would make her so happy to see him like he is now. Dont get me wrong still very confused and aggitated and all over the place but he keeps hugging me, and wants cuddles and laughs its fantastic. I just dont know what to do with mum. Every day there is an excuse not to go - maybe im being harsh i dont know.....i ask her to call me back and she doesnt, she wont leave the house....any ideas?????

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
While no one can say for certain the thing that screams out to me is depression. A very bad case of clinical depression. This describes me to a T the first time I came down with it: unable to get out of bed, unable to think of anything positive. She needs help, and she needs it fast. I don't want to be a panic monger, but it at this stage in the condition when people can't see any light that they do stupid things. You won't (probably) be able to persuade her to see your father, in the same way you couldn't persuade her to fly - at this stage it's probably all she do is to get up to go to the loo. You mentioned a counsellor? Is she on any medication for depression? Counselling can be very helpful if the causes of depression are "environmental" (i.e due to a specific situation ) but it's possible that she is actually lacking in specific neurotransmitters and that means meds normally.

I have to say though, you also mention flu - I've only had that once and I was out for the count for most of a month so it could be everything combined.

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
P

hi Jennifer,
yes mum is on Metazapan, shes just changed over from Venlaflaxin, Dr said stop for two days then start on Metazapan. Its gone from bad to worse, i keep saying to her to remember its the drugs that are making her feel like this. I will go and spend the next few days with her, but shes getting really stroppy and upset with me. I can do no right anywhere at the moment.
Im going to take mum and baby to the new forest in a couple of weeks, for a little break, and its only an hour down the road so we can still see dad every other day. stay in a nice timber lodge with a spa and restaurants for some mummy daughter time. We'll see if that helps.
thanks to you for your comments. NICKY

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
So happy...

Hi everyone, I just wanted to tell you all about my visit to see dad today. Theres a new gentleman who is obviously a very clever, articulate chap and although very confused and unhappy, he was tinkering on the piano in the lounge. I asked him if he could play me something and he star a few dropped notes but a wonderful piece. he started playing like a concert pianist, absolutely beautiful music. He loved playing for me & was smiling away so I went and got my dad and danced with him around the lounge for 5 minutes, while the gentleman played some lovely classical music. My god it was so amazing, the nurses were nearly in tears and we all clapped when we finished. Dad was smiling and jigging about. I am blown away beyond all belief. Dads doing quite well now, eating and chatting away to everyone, he's really interacting with the other residents now. Not really making any sense to anyone and has trouble remembering my names, but what an emotional breakthrough today was. I cant wait to go and see him again tomorrow. Today was a good day, and I think we deserved it after all the worry of the last 4 months. Im so happy i could cry with joy. I hope this brings you all some hope. x