Moving to care home today

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh @Anmarg i am so sorry to read this , how terrible for you all . I too hope dad makes a speedy recovery and can move on to a home that meets his needs . Please be kind to yourself , you have done what is best for him and with his best interest at heart .

Ponddweller

Jun 20, 2019
@Anmarg ive just read your post.,Thats nightmarish. I can’t begin to imagine. So is your father currently in hospital? How are things with the care home? Are they communicating with you about the inquiry? But please please don’t feel guilt (easy to say I know) you are doing everything possible for your Dad. Please keep posting. Hugs.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
That’s shocking news @Anmarg but please don’t think it’s your fault. You’re doing all you can to try to keep your dad safe but sometimes all is not enough.
I hope your dad makes a full recovery.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is beyond awful @Anmarg. I hope your dad is being well care for in hospital, investigations are on-going to how it happened, and that you can find somewhere else for him to move to after he recovers. In the mean time as my dear mother in law always says look after you, you are important too.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
There is a major problem with this home and they should be reported to the appropriate authorities for an immediate inspection. It just should not be possible for your father or anyone to climb out of a window. The windows should have fastenings which restrict the amount they can be opened. This is a safeguarding issue. I hope your father gets better soon and you can find somewhere more suitable.
Susan

Anmarg

Apr 9, 2019
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Dad is still in hospital recovering from his injuries and it's hearbreaking. Yes, there is a Adult safeguarding process now being conducted, we had a multi disciplinary meeting on Monday, no stone will be left unturned as to how this was allowed to happen and to safeguard against it happening again to our most vunerable. Dad broke the window restrictors so used some force, we believe the CH staff chose to ignore the noise as Dad had been descibed as 'aggressive and hard to manage' , behaviour that was out of character for him, i believe due to his emotional needs being disregarded so things were allowed to escalate.
We are all still in shock, we have been advised to seek legal advice.
I can't believe that this has happened on top of everything else for my poor Dad.
I look forward to your continued support and advice.
Thank you all so so much xx

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.
Dad is still in hospital recovering from his injuries and it's hearbreaking. Yes, there is a Adult safeguarding process now being conducted, we had a multi disciplinary meeting on Monday, no stone will be left unturned as to how this was allowed to happen and to safeguard against it happening again to our most vunerable. Dad broke the window restrictors so used some force, we believe the CH staff chose to ignore the noise as Dad had been descibed as 'aggressive and hard to manage' , behaviour that was out of character for him, i believe due to his emotional needs being disregarded so things were allowed to escalate.
I can't believe that this has happened on top of everything else for my poor Dad.

Oh how awful for you, I am so sorry to read this, I do hope your dad fully recovers.

A similar thing happened with my dad, fortunately though it was a just a ground floor building. He too broke the window restrictors, which I was told was impossible and he used a chair to climb out of a window of his care home. He went missing for almost 3 hours before they found him about 5 miles away. He also managed to break fire exit/security doors, so if there is a will there is a way. My dad had to move to another care home with a better staff ratio so he could be monitored 24/7 and was much harder to escape from, although he persisted in trying.

Elle x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how awful @Anmarg. I do hope your dad makes a good recovery and that the incident is fully investigated. Wishing you strength.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I just don't know where to go with my guilt and emotions at the moment.

It isn't your fault- please don't feel guilty. It will take time to process and this can't be speeded up.

You did all the right things, and the home is at fault for not understanding your dad's needs and addressing them until he could be moved.

I hope a suitable placement can be found for him.

I suggest you do take up the suggestion of legal advice as this will help, although it won't undo what has happened.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019

Good grief. I'd be absolutely fuming and want him moved as soon as possible. Completely unacceptable and should never have come to this. Ignoring the noise! My very best wishes to you and your dad and look after yourself as this is bound to be a stressful time.

Anmarg

Apr 9, 2019
Thank you for all your replies and support.
Dad is waiting to move to another hospital.
He is absolutely not going back to that CH, we are waiting to find out appropriate CH options and hopefully ones that can meet his needs and have enough staff to monitor him.

Anmarg

Apr 9, 2019
Thank you for all your replies and support.
Dad is waiting to move to another hospital.
He is absolutely not going back to that CH, we are waiting to find out appropriate CH options and hopefully ones that can meet his needs and have enough staff to monitor him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5