How much worse can it get????

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I know the answer to that is a whole lot worse.....
Today a new low, what another one! He must have got to the bathroom too late, I followed the smell and found pooh everywhere, all over him and his clothes, over the floor and the bathroom mats, he'd trod in it, used a towel to wipe himself down..... He had his flu jab yesterday, could it be related to that?
He was supposed to go to day care for a couple of hours but by the time I'd cleaned everything up and given him another shower it was too late.
Thanks to Alzheimer's helpline advice I've been in touch with the council for a Care Needs Assessment and Carer's Assessment (lovely chap on the phone who's been there and really helped). Don't know if they can do anything in a practical sense but I guess it helps to be in the system.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I know the answer to that is a whole lot worse.....
Today a new low, what another one! He must have got to the bathroom too late, I followed the smell and found pooh everywhere, all over him and his clothes, over the floor and the bathroom mats, he'd trod in it, used a towel to wipe himself down..... He had his flu jab yesterday, could it be related to that?
He was supposed to go to day care for a couple of hours but by the time I'd cleaned everything up and given him another shower it was too late.
Thanks to Alzheimer's helpline advice I've been in touch with the council for a Care Needs Assessment and Carer's Assessment (lovely chap on the phone who's been there and really helped). Don't know if they can do anything in a practical sense but I guess it helps to be in the system.
Oh all sympathy!! I had incidents like this and I am so glad you got into the system. It really does help when you need the system quickly! It could be related to flu jab, you are right, it can make some elderly folk a bit loose, to put it politely.
all fellow feeling, Kindred.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH suffered a little after his flu jab. He also slept alot and tho' I was told it's a inert jab so there shouldn't be any after effects one of my OH physios was iof work for 2days, It totally knocked her off her feet.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
So much poo involved with dementia :eek: its awful isn't it my heartfelt sympathy's to you. I arrived at my dads home yesterday to be greeted by an awful poo smell on opening his front door. Lunchtime Carer was upstairs trying to clean dad up it was his dirty pad still laying on downstairs loo floor that I could smell but obviously she had to go upstairs to give dad a wash as he was very soiled. Dad had obviously been into the garden as well and trodden in poo that his dog had done so slippers now discarded had lumps of poo ingrained into the soles.
Poor carer was not an easy lunch call for her as dad took almost all her allotted time cleaning him up. Carer had managed to put his microwave dinner in and had started to make a tea before discovering he had filled his pad. Dad all clean he then turned his nose up at his meal and refused to eat it demanding a different meal. Carer had to call someone as she was now running late and was told to just leave dad as was needed on a double up call. I suppose if someone is just getting difficult they have to leave. I took over doing another meal and his dessert/tea which he then ate so at least he did get a hot meal. Lucky me I definitely got the best deal not having to clean dad up. All of dads carers are lovely and appreciate that we are sometimes on hand too but not on every call. I did bag up his pad disposed of and cleaned up all the bits of poo he had unwittingly trampled through hall and lounge slippers went in the wash once the lovely lumps rinsed/wiped off. I'm so grateful not to be dads full time carer his ladies come in four times a day but how much longer it will be sufficient for I don't know, my dad soils regularly often 2-3 a day. We have had yet another call saying dad is quite verbally aggressive to them so I wonder how long they will be willing to put up with it all. Dad has never been interested in Day Center so stays in all day just watching TV.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Hi White Rose, approximately one month ago I woke up to a scene very similar to the one you describe, and this continued on and off for about 10 days. Just as I was thinking I couldn't live like this - it stopped. I noticed I'd had 2 clean days, then 3, and now it's been 2 whole weeks! Normal toilet behaviour has resumed. So it must have been caused by a virus, infection or something. However the dementia has got noticeably worse. He now sleeps more, and mostly doesn't know what's happening. He has lost interest in everything, and does not speak much at all. So, as usual, there are no winners, but at least the carpet shampoo is having a rest. All the best. Mary