Respite woes

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
The placements team sent me a shortlist or nursing homes with vacancies late yesterday afternoon. In our immediate area, there are only 3 nursing homes, one of which only take private clients and another has no vacancies. This leaves just one, which doesn't have a very good CQC report (requires improvement) plus poor reviews (lists about 20 languages spoken by staff!). I shall go and visit but doesn't sound promising.

The other homes on the list are all about 20 to 30 miles away, which would severely impact on the number of visitors my wife would get, given that many of our friends and relatives, rely on public transport.

A big problem is vacancies in general (even for care homes) as there have been a couple of closures in our area and apparently, the placements team are struggling to relocate existing residents!

We have yet to hear from the financial team to get an assessment done, so although I am under pressure to look at "suitable" homes, I do not know which (if any) we would be able to afford (she is between the upper and lower limits).

In our county, they require 3rd parties to top up any shortfall between the LA agreed rate (for her level of care) and the negotiated cost of nursing home placement, once their assets are below the upper limit. I did ask about what happens if there are no 3rd parties able to pay and was told that they would look for any cheaper alternatives - so effectively the bottom of the pile?

I am sure that many of you have gone through this (and worse?) but it is stressing me out more than when I was caring for my wife at home?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A big problem is vacancies in general (even for care homes) as there have been a couple of closures in our area and apparently, the placements team are struggling to relocate existing residents!

It`s really tough on you @Philbo. I do hope you find somewhere suitable.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Go and look at the place with vacancies as it might not be as bad as you fear.
"Requires improvement" is rather woolly. It might mean that there has been a change in management/protocols and is on the up, or it might mean that they are getting lazy and are on their way down.

It will probably be scruffy, so look past the decor and ask yourself what the caring is like. How do the carers interact with the residents? Are the residents left alone at all? What sort of atmosphere is there? NB - if you go in the afternoon it will probably be very quiet as at that time most of the residents will be snoozing. Talk to the manager and be brutally honest about your wifes behaviour and ask them how they would manage it. Also ask what behaviour they would not accept.

This will give you an idea of what the place is actually like and whether it is suitable.

BTW
In our county, they require 3rd parties to top up any shortfall between the LA agreed rate (for her level of care) and the negotiated cost of nursing home placement, once their assets are below the upper limit.
This isnt just your county - this is nationwide, so ask whether they accept the LA rate, and if not, what the top-up fee is.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
The other homes on the list are all about 20 to 30 miles away, which would severely impact on the number of visitors my wife would get, given that many of our friends and relatives, rely on public transport.

If you can find a better home then personally, unless you personally are carless and can't cope with the distance, I wouldnt choose an inferior place based on the hope that friends and family will visit. Other than her own children (hopefully), others are likely to drift away pretty rapidly in this situation. Well thats my view anyway.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Well, we managed to move my wife today, from the care facility where she started (respite, then assessment period) back on 26th July, to the only local Nursing Home that had a vacancy.

As I had mentioned previously, we were a bit apprehensive initially, but my son's girlfriend runs 2 residential facilities locally for special needs young adults and she went along to meet the manager and staff. She has a track record for not only running a tight ship but has also experience of turning round failing care facilities.

She was very impressed with the NH manager and staff, and how she had made significant improvements since the last CQC inspection 14 months ago (all areas needing improvement) to the latest, published last week, where only 2 areas were still amber.

So I accepted the placement and they were very welcoming to me and my wife, with even a little welcome card on her bed.

My wife is blissfully unaware of what's going on around her so I have no doubts about her settling in. I look forward to working with the team there to help us get to know each other for the journey ahead.

I would rather have her at home still, but I know that's no longer an option.

Phil

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Postscript

Final panic centred around the transfer - having been told late yesterday that the NH had assessed my wife and were happy to take her, I naively thought the care centre she's been in for weeks, would arrange the necessary transport (she's virtually immobile so I can no longer get her to get in or out of a car or taxi). I WAS WRONG.

Turns out that is my responsibility (wish someone had warned me) so at 5.30pm, I tried ringing round taxi firms to see if they could do wheelchair transfers. Apparently, in our area anyway, due to the restrictions on moving someone sitting in a wheelchair (chairs have to be crash-test type approved), taxi firms no longer do this.

I found a community transport association that could do it (dial-a-ride) but they were booked-up until Friday (plus I had to race around trying to borrow a wheelchair and I didn't know if it was crash test approved).:eek:

Then first thing today, a friend sent me contact details for someone who runs a service taking special-needs kids to school and back. His minibus can take a wheelchair in the back and he had all the gear for securing the wheelchair, including seat belt etc.

He was able to fit us in at short notice and all went well and he only charged £10. Lovely man.:)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knola28