Eating/drinking

jellymac

Nov 29, 2014
West Midlands
Hi. I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot before. My mom is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and for the last 3-4 weeks has only been having 1-2 sips of fluid and a couple of teaspoons of jelly a day (before this period she was having more but not large amounts, she also has problems swallowing). Last Tuesday the doctor was called to her care home as she couldn't get out of bed. The doctor officially put my mom on an end of life care plan and prescribed anticipatory drugs. Although she wouldn't say how long my mom has left told us to prepare ourselves. This last week has been heart breaking but yesterday and today my mom seems to have started eating and drinking again, not massive amounts but certainly a lot more than recently. Is this common? We don't know what to think now. Thank you.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
@jellymac
I’m sorry to hear about your Mum.
Over the past year, my Mum has stopped eating & drinking four times. In her case it always coincides with a UTI or chest infection.
Since October last year though it has been the longest period of reduced appetite, to the point now she has been on Fortasip drinks, mashed & pureed foods since January. She has lost 30lbs.
Now totally immobile & mostly non verbal.
Feb-March her appetite increased and she put on a little weight, this past month she has lost another 4 lbs.
I think as far as end of life, it will be if reduced or no appetite continues along with other symptoms, or a major medical event.
Otherwise they are on a continuous rollercoaster.
6 mnths ago, I wouldnt have thought my Mum would be here now.