1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. jellymac

jellymac Registered User

Nov 29, 2014
    West Midlands
    Hi. I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot before. My mom is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and for the last 3-4 weeks has only been having 1-2 sips of fluid and a couple of teaspoons of jelly a day (before this period she was having more but not large amounts, she also has problems swallowing). Last Tuesday the doctor was called to her care home as she couldn't get out of bed. The doctor officially put my mom on an end of life care plan and prescribed anticipatory drugs. Although she wouldn't say how long my mom has left told us to prepare ourselves. This last week has been heart breaking but yesterday and today my mom seems to have started eating and drinking again, not massive amounts but certainly a lot more than recently. Is this common? We don't know what to think now. Thank you.

2. Linbrusco

Linbrusco Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Female
    Auckland...... New Zealand
    @jellymac
    I’m sorry to hear about your Mum.
    Over the past year, my Mum has stopped eating & drinking four times. In her case it always coincides with a UTI or chest infection.
    Since October last year though it has been the longest period of reduced appetite, to the point now she has been on Fortasip drinks, mashed & pureed foods since January. She has lost 30lbs.
    Now totally immobile & mostly non verbal.
    Feb-March her appetite increased and she put on a little weight, this past month she has lost another 4 lbs.
    I think as far as end of life, it will be if reduced or no appetite continues along with other symptoms, or a major medical event.
    Otherwise they are on a continuous rollercoaster.
    6 mnths ago, I wouldnt have thought my Mum would be here now.