Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabel1924

May 3, 2019
Thank you for the welcome. I will get his teeth checked hadn’t thought of that. I was blaming the medication. Sometimes we perhaps overlook the obvious. Meanwhile I’ll try some softer food.

Isabel1924

May 3, 2019
@Isabel1924

Regarding reluctance to eat,it could be worth checking, or asking a dentist or doctor to check, that there are no blisters etc in his mouth which make eating painful.
It's a long shot but worth taking.

Sorry I seem to have posted a general reply (I’m learning) but thank you. I hadn’t thought of that but will get him checked meanwhile I will give him softer food - guess it’s hot pot tonight.

CB35

May 8, 2019
Hello, I have just joined as my dad was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's 18 months ago. He is being cared for at home by my mum who is 68 and in recent weeks we have seen a decline in his ability to sleep, process information and normal everyday skills such as getting dressed or use the bathroom. I joined in the hope that I could pass on advice that I read here to my mum.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @CB35, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

alicemutch

Nov 2, 2018
This was very helpful, thank you :) I find it really hard to support my dad and this is a great place to know im doing okay.

Kika

May 11, 2019
Hello. I have joined in the hope of getting moral support and advice in general. My OH was diagnosed with vascualr dementia a year ago but did not accept the diagnosis and believes he is simply suffering from age related forgetfulness. He seems to have blanked out the tests and brain scan he had, and I don't know if there's any point in trying to make him accept it.
My local Health Centre dementia support group is for couples - ie: the patient and their carer - and there iseems to be no professional someone in my position can ask for advice.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Kika and welcome
you've found the right place to come to share experiences and get support

it's not at all unusual for the person to ignore their diagnosis, or no longer be able to grasp exactly what it means, so probably best just to let your husband think as he does, which sadly leaves you having to take on dealing with things yourself
Admiral Nurses are there to support carers, maybe contact them, an internet search will bring up their website
maybe just go along to the support group yourself, they may well be welcoming
and keep posting here ... start your own thread whenever you're ready, with whatever's on yoir mind

Kika

May 11, 2019
Hello @Kika and welcome from me also
You could also try a search for Carers groups in your area, they may be able to offer support to you.
Thank you for the welcome. I will try Googling that - the Health Centre one wouldn't take me on my own.

Kika

May 11, 2019
hello @Kika and welcome
you've found the right place to come to share experiences and get support

it's not at all unusual for the person to ignore their diagnosis, or no longer be able to grasp exactly what it means, so probably best just to let your husband think as he does, which sadly leaves you having to take on dealing with things yourself
Admiral Nurses are there to support carers, maybe contact them, an internet search will bring up their website
maybe just go along to the support group yourself, they may well be welcoming
and keep posting here ... start your own thread whenever you're ready, with whatever's on yoir mind

Thank you for the welcome. I am just dipping my toe in at present. I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to bite my lip and just let him be as he is. Patience is not my strong point but I will have to learn.

MrsR88

May 14, 2019
Evening guys, so my Dad has Dementia. As far as I am aware he was diagnosed at some point last year but other family members were directly involved and hid it from me. In a nutshell, he is now in a care home and being well taken care of but I want to understand his diagnosis more. I wasn't aware until today that there were different types of dementia. I have so many questions and don't know where to start in getting answers.
Where do I begin? Thanks in advance.

Sunflower44

May 14, 2019
Hello. I have joined the group as my mum has alzheimers. She was taken into hospital yesterday after a number of falls in the past few weeks. Now considering whether it is time for her to go into a care home. It feels like such a heartbreaking decision at the moment, especially seeing her in good spirits despite her fall yesterday but know that she really needs someone there 24/7.

Mum was diagnosed with alzheimers 6 months before my little boy was born and I find it so hard not having my mum for support. He's 3 now and always puts a smile on her face although she doesn't realise he is her Grandson.

Just looking for general support and to help others if possible

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Sunflower44. Welcome to the forum.

It does sound as if your mother is now at risk if she is falling and living alone. Residential care is a heartbreaking decision and sadly those who live alone are more likely to need it earlier than those who share their homes with a partner or family.

My mother went into residential care much earlier in her dementia than my husband. She was at risk at home whereas my husband had 24/7 supervision and care and I could make sure as far as possible he was safe.

It`s really tough trying to manage without the support of someone who has always been there for you. It`s something we cannot change and have to live through.

It`s also tough on you feeling so sad. When you have such a lovely little boy I hope this is not spoiling your pleasure in him.

Sunflower44

May 14, 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience @Grannie G.

Yes mum lives alone and has carers 4 times a day but as you say, now she is having falls we know she needs more support.

No, I can assure you it doesn't spoil my pleasure in having my little boy. I cherish him more than ever :D.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening guys, so my Dad has Dementia. As far as I am aware he was diagnosed at some point last year but other family members were directly involved and hid it from me. In a nutshell, he is now in a care home and being well taken care of but I want to understand his diagnosis more. I wasn't aware until today that there were different types of dementia. I have so many questions and don't know where to start in getting answers.
Where do I begin? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums MRsR88. You will find a supportive community here and answers to any problems you have. Meanwhile, if you read https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia it will give you some insights into the types of Dementia. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you should also help you find local services if you need to. Keep in touch.

Hamida

May 17, 2019
Hello

My dad has been diagnosed with alzheimer's dementia. His 58 and its only coming to 3years since his diagnosis.

Its been a huge challenge as his always been stubborn, however last few days he won't eat or drink.

Is this common? Has anyone experienced similar or same symptoms? Any advice would be appreciated.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Hamida, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

The sense of taste can be lost with dementia so previously favoured food and drink can start to seem nasty and be refused. This is where the famous dementia sweet tooth comes from as sweet and sour are the last parts of the sense to go. There can also be a problem with portion sizes as if a portion is too large the person may not eat anything as they can't think to only eat what they can manage. Small portions and/or sweet finger food, like fruit etc., may work.

Beyond that, with any sudden change of behaviour you should always check for an infection, like a UTI, as they can greatly worsen dementia if left untreated.

I hope you get this sorted and then have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5