So bizarre !

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
is there any chance Canary you could send me a pm with a copy of the form you did with the care home so as not to be admitted except for possible broken bones please?
Im afraid that i dont have a copy of it. It was given to me by mums care home, went into mums care plan and after she passed away went with the rest of her records. Im afraid I cant even remember what the form was called.
Have you tried asking the care home whether they have anything like this doodle1?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

To be honest guys, after the discusions we have had with the home, I thought that it was clearly recorded in Mils care plan that unless hospital admission was essential to prevent or treat a condition causing her pain and discomfort, it wasn't to happen. OH spoke to the agency nurse who rang here, and she went on about chest pains and the paramedics recommending that Mil be admitted, and OH said he felt that because Mil was apparently in pain and it was being advised, he had no choice but to agree. Talking to the paramedics in the ambulance (who had taken over from the paramedics that had brought her in, because they had finished their shift and left), they seemed to be under the impression that OH had requested she be taken to hospital. I think the agency nurse had panicked, and probably didn't have a clue what was in the care plan! I was there when OH was talking to her, and I heard him clearly ask was she sure it was necessary for Mil to be taken to hospital? And he said - again very clearly - "OK, if you think it's absolutely necessary". So it certainly was not a case of him requesting she be taken.

I need to clarify this with the home, when I next go there - I haven't been to see her since the night at the hospital because by Friday of that week, I had what seemed to be cold, but its turned out to be a chest infection, and I haven't dared go near her. OH says that none of the familiar nurses have been around on the two occasions he has visited, so he hasn't been able to get to the bottom of it either. To make it harder at the moment, the lovely manager, S, has stepped down from the managers position, and has gone back to being a nurse apparently - and she is currently on leave anyway! Things seem to be rather up in the air at the home at the moment :(

As I said, OH has visited twice since her trip to the hospital - and she is as fine as she can be, given her condition (IYKWIM!) . Whether its down to the stress of the night in hospital, or what, we don't know, but OH has said she has been really aggressive with him on both the occasions he has been. On the first visit, pinching and punching him - and finding it very funny. On the second visit she was even worse, and he said that in the end, after less than 5 minutes, he was forced to move his seat away from her because she was so determined to hurt him. She was furious that he wouldn't sit near enough for her to reach him and threatened to pour her cup of tea on the floor. OH went to take the cup away, and she threw it at him, at which point he decided to leave as him being there was obviously winding her up, though he didn't know why and Mil either couldn't or wouldn't explain.

We both feel that she is just very - well - the only word we can come up with is 'manic' at the moment. I noticed it in the two weeks or so before the hospital visit. Everything is exaggerated with her, it's really strange. Joke with her, and she rolls her eyes, pulls a daft face and very loudly shouts 'Oooooooooooh'. She laughs in a very odd way, its not exaggerating to call it a very theatrical 'cackle', tbh, nothing like her 'normal' laugh. And when she is like that, if there are others near by, she looks to them as if to see if they are amused or maybe just paying attention to her? She has periods of OTT affection, where she grabs your hand or arm and plasters it in loud kisses, repeatedly saying 'I love you', over and over, and if you are daft enough to agree to 'give her a kiss', she does her best to try and kiss you full on the mouth, with a grip like grim death - its uncomfortable and feels decidely strange, I know that OH and I both try and avoid getting that close. She shouts a lot, and the sudden physical attacks are (we think) getting worse. And her fury and lack of understanding when we won't allow her to hurt us is extreme. And you get the impression that its all almost a performance, very attention seeking - though I would also have to say that nowadays she lacks the capacity to be able to be so calculated, despite how it all might appear. Several times we have found that she has been moved to her room or the sensory room, because staff have said she has been so loud that its impacting on other residents. Not explaining it very clearly, its just so very odd - even for Mil!

For the first time since I started this job, I've had to cancel my projects this week, because of the chest infection. No way could I go in and work with the young people in the state I've been in! I've used the time to play catch up with the admin, though again, additional demands from senior managers have eaten up so much time that I haven't caught up as much as I might have done otherwise. And cancelling the time with the young people has generated so many emails, queries and organisation, that its actually made more work! I have to go in on Friday, the last day of a project , that can't be re-arranged unfortunately. Today is the first day I've felt a bit better, so hopefully, I'll manage Friday with no problems. Son and his GF are visiting this weekend, with Jess and Oscar my granddogs. Oz is apparently improving, but still with a tendency to destroy anything within his reach, so I am going to have to Oscar-proof the house before he arrives. When we are still in a state of upheaval, due to the dining room makeover, that is not going to be easy! Be worth it to see them all though :)

I hope you are all OK, and as always, I'm sending much love to you all xxxxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my goodness Ann, it all sounds way,way too much for you and Im so sorry that you have a chest infection to boot.
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I'm so sorry you are unwell. TBH, I am also rather alarmed that, rather than resting, you are still sorting out admin (I certainly hope this is not going on your record as 'sick leave'!). I think this is your body's way of telling you to rest and I am worried that you will become seriously unwell if you ignore it (((hugs))). OK, lecture from Aunty Slugsta has now ended :oops:

MIL's behaviour does seem extreme but I have no experience of this kind of thing, so can't say whether it is 'par for the course' - although it seems that it is also new to the care staff.

It's a shame that a home that you have been happy with seems to be having management issues. I'm not surprised that the nurse stepped down from the management role - I think the combination of reduced hands-on nursing and unrealistic demands from above force many good nurses to do the same :(

Yes, it sounds as if the agency nurse panicked, maybe scared of the implications of a resident dying while she was on duty and hadn't done everything possible for them. Of course, it should be clear on the care plan - but I used to do agency work in CHs and it was unusual to get a thorough hand-over for any but the most obviously poorly residents. Not trying to excuse her actions, just to throw a little light on why she might have acted as she did.

Yesterday was Mum's 1st anniversary. In fact, I had thought it was today until I checked the paperwork! :oops: In some ways it seems like only yesterday, in others a life-time ago :confused: Her cremains are still under our spare bed, really must get round to deciding how to go about scattering them at sea - just do it ourselves off the end of the pier, or arrange for a Navy chaplain to take us out on a boat and do it with a bit of ceremony.

(((hugs))) for all.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, so sorry to hear of your problems. Not sick leave, definately. I know you have to dog proof, but people can help. No clearing up, just leave it! I had a chest infection earlier this year and it completely flattened me. I can’t understand how you’re doing anything! I even had a problem getting into bed!

Like Slugsta, I haven’t had a problem like mil. But why wasn’t her handover in full, I would say she’s probably one of the worst in the home. I would suggest that your OH writes down all he can remember re conversation with nurse and paramedics now, while it’s still fresh in his memory. Unless, of course, you’re using So Bizarre as a diary!

Think. Like everything else, there’s rules and regulations about scattering remains at sea, Slugsta. Maybe off the pier? OHs went into a river at 04:20 one August morning! One of my cousins said, you’ll just wake up one day and know it’s the right day! Bet she didn’t do her OHs at that time of day!
I was back in bed by 05:00. My only problem was it was very near low tide, and the tide was still on the ebb.

Look after yourself, Ann.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
@Spamar I have found this site useful https://scattering-ashes.co.uk/help-advice/permission/sea-river/ It seems there are no laws stopping the scattering of ashes on the sea or rivers as long as other items are not thrown into the water too.

Mum was in the WRNS and said that she wanted her ashes scattered at sea. We can't get it done on our cruise this weekend as the cruiseline will only do that on cruises over 4 nights in length (and ours is 3 nights). I would like to get it done in the middle of the Atlantic next year, but our son wants to be with us and certainly can't take that long off work.

I have been given the details of the Navy chaplain at Portsmouth and they can take the family out in a boat and say a few words as the ashes are scattered, so I am going to talk to our son about it at the weekend. It feels that it is time to get on and arrange something now.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I scattered mums ashes at sea. Mum had a friend who owned a boat so he took my brother and me out on the anniversary of her death. We just said "goodbye mum" and her friend, my brother and I took turns to shake the tube over the (leeward!) side. What about the anniversary of her funeral @Slugsta ?

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
HI Canary,

We wouldn't be able to get anything organised in time for the anniversary of the funeral as our son will be abroad on that date. It's Ok, I don't really think that it needs to be done on any particular date, just a general feeling that I need to get something organised.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I thought about the anniversary of his death, or of the funeral, but that morning just felt right, lovely weather, nobody to ask what you’re doing, etc.
There is some feelings about ashes in rivers, I think, cos ashes have nitrogen and that can upset the balance of fertilisers in river, leading to more growth of some plants, where perhaps it’s not wanted. I do remember reading about it at the time of OHs death, plus an article in a magazine a bit later. I’m afraid I just shrugged my shoulders and got on with it!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, I am so sorry to hear you have a chest infection. I hope you will do all you can to rest and recover, and hope you feel better soon.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well various sizes of dust, no plastics that I know of! Haven’t read the leaflet, but I know there was an ecologist wide discussion 2-3 years ago. Boringly, I read that kind of stuff!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

My goodness - a year already, Slugsta! I really didn't think it was that long. Mil, a long time ago, said she wanted her ashes scattered on the Shannon in Limerick. I wasn't at all sure about rules and regulations, but my sister, who lives in Galway, has a friend who happens to be an undertaker, and when the time comes, she said he will help us with any arrangements. I hope you can sort something that feels right for your Mum soon, hun xxxxx

Even when I worked full time at a home, Slugsta, no time was allowed for reading over care plans. You came in, there was a handover where the nurse about to go off duty went through each resident on the floor and the info given might be as little as 'Mrs So and so is fine', then you were off and running on the jobs. I can understand the agency nurse taking the line 'better safe than sorry', but I'd rather it didn't happen again - apart from the impact on Mil, the brusies on my forearm are only just faded! OH went to see Mil again last night after work - no change, still 'fiesty' :rolleyes:

I cancelled my projects for the first 3 days this week, but as we don't get sick pay for the first 3 days, I plodded on with admin until yesterday morning - too close to Christmas to lose 3/4 of a weeks pay! Yesterday though, after a night where I barely slept, I contacted my boss and asked could I take yesterday as TOIL - there is still a lot of kerfuffle going on around when and how and (now) even if there is a company policy for taking toil, but she OK'd it, with the proviso that she will have to get definite confirmation from her boss too. I'd spoken to her on Monday, and to be fair, she was concerned about how bad I sounded and she strongly advised me to rest, bless her. So, yesterday, thats what I did. And last night I slept for about 5 hours, and I do feel a bit better today, the cough is certainly better, thankfully.

OH has also just about finished the painting in the dining room - amid much moaning at me, lol. The room is a horrible awkward shape, with odd alcoves, two doors, an archway and the only natural light comes through the new french doors and through the archway that leads to the kitchen. I had this idea that by using different shades on different walls, I could make a feature of the odd shape, sort of pull it together, and even make the room look brighter. But I admit, my plans were a bit complicated, involving two shades of blue, a soft green and a pale yellow. And - its worked. For the first time in all the years we have lived here, I really think my dining room looks good. Even OH has been forced to agree that it really works! We have gone for a smaller table (that can be extended when we have the whole gang home), and are just waiting for the two corner units (which came with Mil and which I have NEVER liked) and the two seater sofa to go to their new homes. A new workstation, to hold the PC has been built into one wide alcove (where the sofa used to sit) and the old alcove where it used to be now holds a Welsh dresser, which has also been partially painted to fit in with the colour scheme. Youngest plays the ukele (and OH is learning too), and we have 6 assorted instruments here, so we have made a feature of them on one wall, with special brackets to hold them and (once I am completely fit) I have a selection of small frames, some of which I will paint to match the wall colour and some of which will be left in natural wood, that I will fill with 'arty' pics I've taken of the ukes, to go on that wall too. After Christmas, the cream floor tiles will be replaced by a wide plank wood laminate, which I just know will be the finishing touch. The wood effect will warm up the room, whilst the wide planks will add to the feeling of space. At the moment, aside from the frames to be done, all OH needs to do is put up the newly glossed shelves in the alcove where the PC now is, and put the doors back on the dresser. Then I can get my books and vintage cameras put away .

I'll be glad to get it finished!

Today is my rest day, no plans other than to pootle and rest! Sending much love to all, as always xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I'm glad that you have been able to rest, and that you feel better for it (((Hugs))). Also glad that the decorating is just about finished - the smell of paint makes me cough, even when I am otherwise well!

If your managers stop allowing TOIL, then I can see a lot of people refusing to work over their contracted hours - why should they if they will get absolutely nothing for it?!

Sorry Spamar, I wasn't trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs! :oops:

Today I need to get my packing done for our weekend away - we seem to be taking a lot of luggage for such a short time :eek: Mind you, I find that the basics take up the same space whether I am going for 2 days or 2 weeks - wash bag, make-up, nightie, shoes etc - and OH has 2 formal suits to pack as he picked up the hire suit for our son.

I'm looking forward to our time together and will get some photos taken on formal night. However, it made me sad to think that the few people, apart from us, who would have really valued those are no longer with us :(

(((hugs))) for all.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning all!
Weather is just horrible! From yesterday lunch time, when a very cold gust crossed the car park of the cafe where I had had a coffee, to now. Rain, hail, wind, you name it, we got it!

Hope you all have a good day! Mine is coffee with friends, if I decide to brave the weather!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

The max predicted temp here today is 6C - it was 14 on Friday. It felt very cold in Le Havre on Sunday but that was mainly due to windchill. Fortunately it was dry, so still an enjoyable day.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Long overdue update. I part typed one and it disappeared. I am sat in the bathroom of a premier Inn so that son can sleep.

So all of with mum. Take her food round fortnightly.

I sold all the matchbox cars I put on eBay which came from mum's house which I mentioned in my last post. The most expensive went for £64 and was posted to the Czech Republic. One person who bought four hasn't paid and I'll be relisting them soon frustrating really.

I've had a bug that's been going round didn't ride my bike from 26th October to last Friday 16th. Rode last weekend and then ill again now might have been well enough to ride today but 3 and a half drive to Watford for fencing.

Dau is calming down a little but failed driving test on Tuesday caused heightneed stress again. Blamed the instructor for always telling her how to do it rather than letting her do it and then commenting. Upset what she failed on wasn't actually dangerous ( parallel parking and she hit the kerb). Etc etc.

Dau has an interview at Cambridge but is less certain about it after seeing friends son's timetable. She is there first week of December. I get to take her but she stays in college so I'm on my tod in a hotel, well airbnb.

Son has been assessed as eligible to type exams so being taught to type in school. Whilst I have battled for years to get him help I was upset her needs this level of help.

Ann I hope you are managing not to work so many hours and there have been no more hospital crisis. I'd have been furious at the unnecessary stress.

@Spamar and @Slugsta hope all is ok.

Weather has been bitter here a few days. Lazy wind that goes through you.