So bizarre !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
@2jays - sorry you are having to step in to rescue little ones, at least you are there and available to do it, only have the G & Ts once they are in bed normally works best.

One of the reasons we decorate slowly is it takes a long time to negotiate what we both like and find acceptable.

@Slugsta glad your boiler is shipshape now (couldn't not use a nautical theme when you are off on a cruise).

Footie boots, shin pads, footie socks, gum shield, and fencing shoes on today's list of successful purchases, still no school shoes and we only have one of last year's shoes located so far!!!! Dau's hair was colour stripped yesterday (the purple had become a bluey green), red has been added this morning and brown will be added this afternoon. I have also been good and spent time on her personal statement for UCAS - she has driven us nuts talking about it non stop since return from holiday:eek::eek::mad::confused:

Had mum round for tea last night, when I picked her up the normal lighthearted moans about getting old, and having to use a zimmer frame, and not liking being old. She then looked at me and said you look very young though, how old are you, 60? I said no, laughing and she said mid fifties, and I told her no I am 50, to which she exclaimed oh I must have been very old when I had you then, 36?, I corrected her to 38. She clearly had decided I must be 60 to fit in with the age she thought made sense to have a baby, she was horrified at how old she was when she had me. The dementia logic of filing the gaps amused me.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

@2jays, you sound like you are meeting yourself coming backwards, everything is so hectic for you at the moment - I'm so sorry things are so tough, for you and the grandkids :( I can imagine how hard it is for you to see them in the middle of whatever is going on, and how stressful and worrying it must be for you. Add in the trying to get decorating and DIY jobs sorted, and I'm another who would seriously consider reaching for 2 large drinks at least (in my case, brandy!). Sending you massive {{{{{{hugs}}}}} xxxxx

School shopping, JM - even thinking of that makes me shudder - with misery at the memory, and with relief that it's no longer on my 'to do' lists. All mine shot up, usually in the last week of the school hols, of course , meaning it had to be the last minute dash to make sure they were kitted out in a uniform that actually fit them. I remember one Summer hols when son went up from a size 4 to a size 6 in shoes over the 6 week break! And trying to get school trousers that would actually fit my very tall, but very slim, youngest dau. Nightmare - you have all my sympthy!

Slugsta, not long till you go now - I bet you can't wait :D

Spamar - hope you are OK and feeling better, hun xxxx

Red, a shedding dog is enough for me to cope with - couldn't deal with a shedding rug as well :) x

1-1 case review yesterday, and I need to get two things off my chest before I start!

Firstly - Dr J is my hero!

Secondly - the HBM is a two face, conniving, hypocritical, lying, nasty $%^&%$£ and I just can't wait for Karma to catch up with her!

I arrived early, so I could spend some time with Mil - found her and a small group of other residents, having a tea party in the sensory room. Mil was packing away kit kats like they were going out of fashion, and veering between laughing manically - getting very nasty with anyone who tried to persuade her to share the plate of kit kats! And the HBM was there - all over Mil, and the other residents - like she actually cared.

During the 10 minutes or so I spent with Mil (before I was invited through to the meeting room), a member of staff who came into the room, and returned Mil's smile and 'hello' with an 'Hello lovely' back to her, was suddenly screamed qat to '%%%% off', and Mil, having stretched out her hand (with a big smile) to me, proceded to dig her nails in when I took her hand. So - all 'normal' in the world of Mil, and you would have thought a very visable display of just how unpredictable she can be.

We got to the meeting room, and once Dr J arrived, the meeting got underway. I was staggered when HBM suggested that we bring Mil in! For Gods sake - like poor Mil would have a clue - it would just upset her. Dr J started as she clearly felt she needed to go on, and pointed out that the suggestion, given how severe Mils dementia is, was 'totally innapropriate'. Dr J then invited HBM to explain the 'purpose' of having yet another meeting, so soon after all the previous ones? HBM proceded to produce a series of charts that she had made, based on the 1-1 notes kept by the staff . She claimed it showed that there was a decrease in incidents with Mil. Dr J just looked at her as if she was puddled (that woman is brilliant!). Firstly, she pointed out that there was no measurable 'base line' in place, that it didn't take into account Mil's normal presentation, which is difficult and challenging continuosly - something the staff are familiar with and which they wouldn't see the need to document. That the 'chart' didn't take into account interventions that prevented incidents becoming 'severe'. And lastly, Dr J said that the whole point of the 1-1 was to prevent incidents becoming severe, so actually, all the chart did was demonstrate that the 1-1 support was managing a need that had been identified and confirmed repeatedly by herself, a social worker and the staff who support her daily - that the chart demonstrated that the current level of care was working, and therefore appropriate.

Score 1 for Dr J !

HBM bumphed and blustered a bit, and DR J was clearly losing patience with her. She cut to the chase and bluntly asked the HBM what she hoped to get out of this meeting, what was her aim where Mil was concerned?

HBM said her first aim was to keep Mil safe. Again THAT look from Dr J, followed by her pointing out (as if speaking to a child) that the 1-1 was 'keeping Mil safe'.

HBM then added that she didn't want Mil isolated - and that the 1-1 was making her isolated. Have you every heard anything, anything, so stupid in your life? The staff and Dr J pointed out that Mil wasn't isolated, that as was evident from the notes, she spent a lot of time in the lounge area, with others. HBM then said that the lounge wasn't a good place for Mil - that most incidents occured in the lounge. At which point I asked her to make up her mind. She was saying that she didn't think Mil should be in the lounge as much as she was, and at the same time complaining that Mil was isolated? So which was it? She wasn't making sense.

Believe it or not, the HBM brought up medication, basically asking was Mil on anything to 'calm her down', and suggesting it be looked at to see if anything would help. Clearly she hadn't read the realms of notes about the adverse effets of meds, and how the home and Dr J had been working to reduce them to try and prevent a worsening of the tarive dyskinesia. Dr J again put her straight - and at this point, it was becoming clearer and clearer that Dr J was fast losing patience with the HBM. She asked how often HBM was reviewing Mils 1-1 support, and was told 'weekly'. Dr J then told her that if she wanted to 'waste her time' in that manner, then it was up to her, but that she was stating that Mils behaviour and needs were not going to change from one week to the next. HBM said that all one to ones were looked at on a weekly basis - Dr J asked how many residents on the home were on 1-1, and was told that only 2 residents, including Mil, received that support.

The home's manager then confirmed that out of the two, only Mil was having these weekly 1-1 reviews carried out.

Dr J looked thoroughly disgusted - she asked why, when the 1-1 was so clearly needed, when it was working to keep Mil safe, was it being reviewed so often?. That it was a pointless exercise and that it clearly wasn't for Mil's benefit that these reviews were taking place. She repeated that if HBM wanted to waste her time like that, then fine, the HBM could do that if she wished - however, she was to take note and remember that Dr J in her report had clearly stated that Mil's care must not be removed without the full consensus and agreement of all those involved in the multi-disciplinary panel. That removing it would put Mil at risk - and that it wasn't to happen.

I had grown more and more disgusted at HBM whilst this was going on. She had tied herself in knots and in doing so, had made it obvious that the whole purpose of this meeting was for her to try and reduce or stop Mil's support - but she had failed to prove a justifiable reason for doing this. So I jumped in - and I didn't even raise my voice. I just said that the HBM needed to understand that I wasn't fighting for Mil to keep the 1-1 simply to score points - that I was fighting for it because Dr J and the staff who know her best have advised me that it's essential. That if they ever told me it was no longer necessary, then I would agree to it being withdrawn without a fight. But that if she, or anyone from the CHC removed that care before either the home or Dr J agreed that it was the right time to do so, then I would be more than willing to scream from the roof tops about it, to the public and press, that I had photographs and videos and documents that I would share. And I would do this because Mil has had an horrendous journey that has been made far more difficult and heartbreaking because the Health board had let her down and failed her on countless occasions. That at this point, when its clear that she is failing physically and obviously getting closer to the end of her life, I was no longer prepared to allow them to cause her more issues. That she should know that if she put Mil and me in that position, that I was more than willing to fight dirty if I had to - because its quite simply reached the stage where enough is enough.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
The HBM asked me to attend yet another review next Friday - I said I'd be there.

The meeting ended, I went back to Mil for another hour, and on leaving the manager called me into her office. HBM had told she didn't agree with Dr J (or me, or the home) and that she wants to reduce Mils, initially by 2 hours a day, and then stagger them with a view to phasing them out completely. When the manager argued, HBM simply said she didn't agree. The manager told the HBM that to reduce the care would put Mil at risk - the HBM responded with 'Well, we won't know that unless we try'. The manager was warning me because next week, its doubtful that Dr J can be there - and she is certain that the HBM will try and railroad that decision through. So, I think next week, rather than going in calm and collected, it might be an idea to go in there on the attack, so to speak. She hasn't come up with one, not one, reason for reducing the care - her claims of isolation were blasted out of the water, and as Dr J pointed out, if safety is really a concern, then the current level of care is keeping her safe, and neither the HBM nor anyone else has been able to come up with an alternative that would be as effective. The manager said that it was now clearly 'personal' as far as the HBM was concerned - that she is so determined because in her head, Mil isn't the important thing - her ego is, and she is more concerned about 'winning' and having her way. The manager is right, of course - and I think that's just going to make this whole situation harder, because Mil doesn't even feature in the HBM's approach.

It just feels never ending - and even if we manage to keep the care at next weeks meeting, there are then 9 days when we are not here, when the HBM is reviewing weekly, when she could try and remove the care :(

Right - I have to get moving - I have a 20 mile drive to pick up the first of my group for todays 2 hour long community radio show that we are taking part in - slightly nervous, not my idea of fun, but my gang are looking forward to it and its a great way to publicise our new project and maybe drum up even more support, so hey ho - will have to grit my teeth and hope I don't end up sounding like too much of an idiot!

Sending much love to you all xxxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann the hbm is clearly on a personal vendetta. I think you need to be ready to go to the press and if you have press contacts perhaps sound them out now eg anyone you had contact with for the sponsored walk. Local papers are always looking for copy.

So sorry you and MIL are having to endure this.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Like JM, so upset it has come to this. Apart from saving money - could you find out from other homes if she’s the same with some of their patients? - Why has she got it in for mil?

(((((Hugs)))))

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I assume there are minutes of this meeting which make it clear that if the decision is made next week to rescind the funding this will have not have been are carefully considered joint one, but just HBM's personal opinion. Surely she tried the reduction before with catastrophic results, so why does she think this time would be any different? Are there any other medical professionals Dr J can get onside to add weight to her arguments.
Certainly get all the evidence together but I hope it doesn't come to having to go to the press.
Sorry you are having to go through this rubbish.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Id start getting all those documents, videos and other evidence in order Ann............

Ann the hbm is clearly on a personal vendetta. I think you need to be ready to go to the press and if you have press contacts perhaps sound them out now eg anyone you had contact with for the sponsored walk. Local papers are always looking for copy.

So sorry you and MIL are having to endure this.

HBM has opened the doors to the publicity. She is going to go out of her way to remove 1:1 so before she gets the chance to do more damage to mil, staff and you, let alone possibly other people she is involved with who don’t have the strength, ability, are at the point of easily being walked over by her bully tactics

Get those facts about her tactics published

By doing these weekly meeting, involving so many people (or should be, but obviously isn’t) 2 things came to mind, both involving a waste of money

The cost the meetings create to other departments and the cost to the HB as she is obviously not using her time productively and a 3rd reason... she is a danger to the HB as HBM is overriding a professional diagnosis, therefore more likely costing the HB more money in the future due to the incompetent way this “dangerous” situation is being handled

The HBM asked me to attend yet another review next Friday - I said I'd be there.

The meeting ended, I went back to Mil for another hour, and on leaving the manager called me into her office. HBM had told she didn't agree with Dr J (or me, or the home) and that she wants to reduce Mils, initially by 2 hours a day, and then stagger them with a view to phasing them out completely. When the manager argued, HBM simply said she didn't agree. The manager told the HBM that to reduce the care would put Mil at risk - the HBM responded with 'Well, we won't know that unless we try'.
xxxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mororyning all,

Ann, thank you for the update. I am so angry that I can hardly find the words to describe it - the fact that you have described the meeting so well and still kept your language moderate is a real sign of your professionalism. I wish the same could be said for HBM!

Yes, it is clear that this is now a personal vendetta for HBM, I suspect she is not used to having anyone challenge her authority. The very fact that this has become personal is another black mark against her IMO, she should be able to remain professional, leave hurt pride aside and consider only the facts. She is certainly not doing that.

I'm sorry that you have another battle to fight at a time when a) you are so busy with work and b) would like to spend your free time doing other things (such as visit MIL or, heaven forbid, relax!). I think you are right to fear/suspect that she will try to reduce the 1:2:1 when you are away and not able to fight for MIL. Would it be possible to agree with the CH that MIL will pay for the extra hours, at least until you get back, if that happens? Of course it should not be necessary, but it might help stop you worrying about what is going on at home when you should be enjoying your holiday.

I expect someone here will be able to suggest other strategies of attack/defence, I'm not always good at lateral thinking.

2Js, the rate you are going, we will have to start calling you 'Juggling Js'! I hope the family situation is easily resolved.

Spamar, how are you? I hope you are feeling better.

Jm, I see you are as busy as ever!

It's another lovely day here, I think TM and I will go to our riverside pub this afternoon :)

Sending love to all xx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi,
Saw the physio yesterday, fortunately the X-ray of my shoulder showed that the tendons are not involved in the pain. The pain is better, mainly cos I try to avoid the things that cause it! Don’t lift anything, Don’t carry anything, etc. Unfortunately I’m right handed for most things. However, the way forward is exercises and pain relief. She also looked at my back. If you see me with a bent back, which eases the pain, tell me to stand upright!
She has sent me The Pain Toolkit, which I’ve looked at before. Suppose I’d better go over it, I’m getting a cross examimation on what I can do next month! Again, exercises, chair based, and painkillers ( which I’ve had for several years, naturally.
The way ahead is long and slow!

I’m off to do the shopping. Stepdau, her dog and the dog she’s looking after are here tomorrow. I’m cooking, well, I might buy a pudding! Nothing complicated, but most of my stuff is far too out of date to give to guests! Plus I don’t keep all the stuff I used to!

Feeling old!

Regards to everybody!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks for all the understanding

It’s quiet today. All grandpeople are back to their homes, one back at school today, another had a 1/2 day school visit to start school on Monday, 2 starting next mid week, one started new preschool nursery and last, but not the quietest :) is back at their usual nursery

and breathe....

Still an ongoing family situation with one grandperson, but now they started at school, hopefully easier to support them through this sad time for them. They are much too young to have to deal with the emotions they dont fully understand... kids are resilient, I know they are, just want to help ensure they don’t feel abandoned by us.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Furious but unsurprised is the summary, I think. The threat to sue the HB should any harm come to MiL, to let the press know that you will do this - with the effect on the public purse to be highlighted - and to help any other resident's family who might be injured even slightly remains in your armoury.

2Jays - hugs.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
It really is unbelievable.

Have you contacted the Chief Executive of the Health Board - presumably HBM's boss?

I know you were in touch with the minister - but can't remember if you involved the Chief Exec.

Is it worth writing to the Chief Exec anyway in the light of this last meeting and the indication (threat?) of more meetings to come ?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

2jays, sending you massive {{{{{{hugs}}}}} - so hard to see your grandkids going through such a tough time, it must be so heartbreaking for you xxxxx

Very gentle {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}} for Spamar too xxxxx

Everyone, thank you for your feedback. I admit to feeling very stressed by all this now. Talk about banging your head against a brick wall! It's all just so exhausting, and it feels like as long as Mil is alive and needs this care, its just never going to stop. I've had an email from the minister saying that as there is 'no obvious departure from the CHC framework' (WHAT!) then it is not the responsibility of his office to investigate the issue I have raised, and basically saying that I have to stick to making an official complaint - a complaint about the CHC, which will then be investigated by the CHC. Nothing like having the odds stacked against you, is there?

It's an almost unbelivable situation. I can't quite get my head around how, when there is so much evidence and when we have the input of so many professionals saying that this care is essential for Mil, how one person can make it their mission to see that this care is removed, without having presented any valid reason for doing so. That this one person also apparently has the authority to remove this care is actually scary. The pressure she is allowed to exert, instigating weekly 'reviews' which could see the removal of some or all of this care without notice, keeps you in a constant state of worry and stress. If she gets her way, and some/all of the care is removed, there will be constant worry about Mils safety. At the moment, I just can't see when there will be a time where we can say, OK - that's settled. We can relax for a little while at least. Its just going to go on and on, because I don't have any faith whatsoever that a complaint against the CHC will be upheld by the CHC - do any of you? Yet I have to pursue it, their rules and I have to follow them.

Of course, if the care is removed, then I have the press and publicity route - and I will do that, if I have to. But I really, really don't want to have to go there. More stress, time consuming, even more exhausting - but backed into a corner and no choice if the care is removed, no matter how much I dread the whole idea.

I am hoping that OH is able to get the time off work for next Fridays meeting, being as it seems likely that Dr J will not be there. I really could do with some additional back up - he is trying, but at this point, no guarantee. The only thing I can come up with is to find the energy to go in with all guns blazing, and to keep focusing on trying to get her to provide a valid reason, a reason that is clearly made in Mils best interests, to justify removing the care - Dr J was able to blow her 'reasons' out of the water at the last meeting, which prevented the removal of the 1-1 at that point - which the HBM admitted to the CH manager had been her intention. I need to be able to do the same with whatever 'excuse' she comes up with at next weeks meeting. Trouble is, her reasoning is so ridiculous, that its impossible to predict and prepare for. And I am so emotionally exhausted with the whole debarcle that I am not conviced at this point of my ability to think on my feet. It doesn't help knowing that even if we keep Mil safe next week, there are the two weeks following that where we are not going to be there to argue.

Sorry - feeling very negative and fed up right now. Will have to try and find my fighting spirit by next weeks meeting, somehow.

Much love to you all xxxxx

annebythesea

Ann I think it is time to involve your local mp. This is unfair on you and OH as well as mil. I would document your meeting yesterday and your feelings in response, which sound completely valid to me, and send it to the minister, mp, and anyone else already mentioned, probably including the local paper. If you can directly compare to another case at the CH where someone has 1-1 and the same approach is not taken (how many people are on 1-1 under HBMs care, surely she cannot give a half day minimum a week to every case!) it may help. Lots of hugs.
Also I see people on here talking about 'advocates', but can't remember the details. Do they exist in your area? It must be exhausting you carrying this burden.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Spamar - sorry - whizzing in and out yesterday I didn't offer you a gentle hug. So do now. And stand upright! ;)

Ann - what happens if you're not satisfied with the CHC investigation and verdict -- what's the next layer? Agree about your MP.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I understand how exhausting all this must be. Please look after yourself as much as you are able, difficult though that is. I'm worried that your FMS will flare and spoil your, much deserved, holiday :(

Yes, I am thinking 'advocate' too (not 'advocaat' !) but don't know how you would go about finding such a creature, especially before next week's meeting. Do you think the Alzheimer's phoneline would be able to help?

I'm glad to be going on holiday but don't have any of the excitement that accompanied the first couple of cruises. Which is probably why I haven't done any packing - or even decided exactly what I want to take. Temperatures are predicted to be in the mid 20s C for most of the trip, so I certainly won't need the kind of kit I took up to Norway last winter! :) I have checked toiletries and replaced anything that was lacking, and my meds arrived yesterday (that is a story in itself), so I know I won't be short of anything vital.

2Js, I'm glad that littlies are back at school, they tend to cope better with a familiar routine. Please take care of yourself as this is clearly a very difficult time for you too.

Spamar, I'm glad there is light at the end of your tunnel, even if it is a way off at the moment.

Sending (((hugs))) to all - gentle, squishy, rib-breaking, whatever you need them to be.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just to say the new mattress came to day for my now three week old new bed! Looking forward to a good nights sleep!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey