Mum fell again, end of the road?

jen54

May 20, 2014
Call from sis earlier,mum on floor, and sis couldn't move her.
We went up and it took us ages to get mum into her chair, as she wanted a cuppa,and couldn't help by getting on her knees etc at all.
We think she had used the long handled dust pan brush instead of her stick and fell in the hall,then shuffled into front room..no attempt to phone us,despite the phone right next to her when in hall
We slid a double duvet cover under her bum and used it like a hoist,three of us
She didn't appear hurt,but after getting her warm,fed and watered,we are left thinking this cannot go on.
She seems to have declined greatly in just one day,suspecting it's the fall,but some hours since and she is vacant,talking about war time bomb damage,her dad and picking at the edges of
Her dressing gown and throw.
No way can we get her upstairs,so she is doing in her armchair with a pillow and throws, feet up
Not sure where to go now, as if hospital..that will be it. Her eyes have changed, she suddenly looks very old, don't think it's a stroke, but she is slumping to the side..
This is the crunch..as she cannot get up once she falls and we cannot get her up , she is getting so bad with her hip she needs a stick and shuffles,but she forgets..
Had hoped to see through the gold before it came to this,but now we cannot see how we can leave her alone,

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sometimes a fall can be a sign of, or because of, a UTI or other infection or other illness, so perhaps getting her checked out medically is a good idea? I appreciate this is difficult over a Bank Holiday weekend and that you likely want to avoid A&E.

The slumping could a sign of dehydration, constipation, or something like an infection. I'm not a medical expert but have seen anecdotal reports of this before on TP.

In some areas you can ring for help to get someone up after a fall, not the full blown ambulance route, but I'm not sure what that is called or who you would contact.

I hope others here can offer better advice and suggestions for you. Such a worry and falls are always scary. Best wishes.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
@jen54
Hi, i’m hoping if I tell you Mu Mums recent tumble story you may be able to relate to some of it.
Mum had a fall on Christmas Day, all checked out at hospital nothing broken, no infections. Loads of bruising and swelling.
She came home Boxing Day and slept for two days, minimal food and drink.
She too is very muddled, but does have a chesty cough to add to the muddle.
Today she has not slept as much, but still lots of confusion.
I’m hoping tomorrow she is a little less confused.
Last night I was so upset, then today she has improved ok a little bit we have had moments of Mum before the fall.
Wishing your Mum well. I understand how you feel, it’s so hard, what to do for the best. Take care. X

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think I would call out of hours and ask for a doctor's visit, and on Tuesday I would call Adult Social Services. I don't know whether she already has carers coming in but if she doesn't, I think she needs them now.

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
I agree with Beate that a request for an out of hours doctor seems your best bet.

If an ambulance is sent they will probably want to take her into hospital to be checked over.

Does she have low blood pressure?

100 miles

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum had a fall a few weeks ago. I didn’t even know about it as she gave the police the wrong contact details for me & I was only informed by a snotty text message from the daughter of my mum’s family friend saying she had been contacted but this was 7 hrs after the event.
The police were informed as she was banging on the floor & the neighbours heard her. They checked her over & said she was ok. She can’t get up after a fall & I phoned her GP to get a home visit out to her to check her over. This began our current issues with everything so it sounds like she needs additional care for sure.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
You do need to be careful after a fall. M-i-l (without dementia) had a fall and we managed to get her back into bed. Dr visited and didn't think she's broken anything and as it would have been an out-of-hours probably lying on a trolley in a corridor until they could get someone from x-ray, we elected to take her to hospital first thing in the morning. Howevere she deteriorated overnight and when we got her up to the hospital she had indeed broken her hip.

So I would say yes get an out-of-hours dr to assess her.

jen54

May 20, 2014
So checked mum last night, asleep, made her comfy, arrived this morning and she had fallen again,bed not slept in so she had
on front room floor all night,
Rang 111 explained situation about her being on floor all night, couldnt get her up..shoulder and knee hurting dementia etc..told sending ambulance..but it wouldn't be a blue light..as no immediate danger, ie no bleeding or breathing issues..told not to ring back..all sorted
So here we are three hours later..wondering if to 999...but told not to do that unless she worsened..she is asleep,though waking saying stiff..how long do they leave old person lieing on floor..in quandry as to call emergency..told no food or drink..ridiculous..it has been hours

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh dear that's not good. Having seen a few ambulance tv programmes even with elderly laying floor for hours emergency blue light criteria calls always seem to continuously bump non blue light calls down the priority list. Even though you have been told not to call 111 again I would and/or phone out of hours Dr.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
I’d ring again, 3 hours is insane.
I don’t want to frighten you but who knows what in happening inside. Please call them again.

Next week arrange a pendant alarm for Mum and key box, hospital will give you info. X

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
So here we are three hours later..wondering if to 999...but told not to do that unless she worsened..she is asleep,though waking saying stiff..how long do they leave old person lieing on floor..in quandry as to call emergency..told no food or drink..ridiculous..it has been hours
That is appalling. A fall in anyone elderly can have all sorts of implications and I would definitely be ringing out-of-hours service again.

jen54

May 20, 2014
I phoned 999..midway the Lin went dead..so rang again, this time I was told a Dr would ring back, after explaining situation,and hoe mum had been on floor since the whole night,as we checks bed and it again was as I had left it,unslept in
A Dr rang back,and after going through it all again,put mum priority..it took another 3/4 hr for ambulance.
Anyhow, at hospital we waited for hours,me explaining she had dementia..and each nurse asking mum directly..details,dob, I was continually pulling them aside explaining.
Mum was saying she hadn't fallen,she had no pain, had been dragged in by lunatics..
Trying to pull out the drip line and wrenching off wrist name band
She was in pain from trolley,and I kept saying she had lain in urine twice for hours..
So from ringing 111 at 11.15am..
To having xray at 11.00pm, mum was gradually getting more confused,
I have not realised just how aggressive,and potty mouthed she csn be,but she was saying she was going to kick their heads in, that she wanted out of tho s***hole..nightnare,
By half twelve she was on about this bring a bad school, and treating me and sis like kids, saying we we to complain to head teacher etc
Anyhow, I had to tell Dr that we couldnt stop her falling..told hospital wasn't a holding place..I ended up saying we just didn't know what to do as she keeps forgetting she has mobility issues,and is obviously going over as soon as we leave.
At two pm they took her to transfer into a proper bed..and she came back fuming that they had wiped her backside..which I thought was long over due,as she was saying shr was burning and exploding down there.
Trabsfered to assessment ward,and I was told to go and come back as she had to slep..again I explained dementia..i left..taking her dressing gown in error in my dazed state..but I doubt she will be up too early,suppose I just go back in today.
But they were acting as if she would just be discharged if no breaks etc.
I dont see we can go on tbh, even carers wont be 24/7 and she will be on floor again. As i think her hip has given way rather than just infection.
Cant see us continually trying to lift her,or calling ambulance, and her weeing herself and sitting in it.
Will see what today brings..

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Apart from the fact that few staff will be available today, you must try to get someone from SS to assess 'the risk to your mother's well-being' if she si,ply returns home. Don't know if they've cut back but they used to do 28 days post hospital discharge 'respite'- yo pay a top-up between what the NHS pay and the Hpme charges. But they could then do a full assessment in that time.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
I phoned 999..midway the Lin went dead..so rang again, this time I was told a Dr would ring back, after explaining situation,and hoe mum had been on floor since the whole night,as we checks bed and it again was as I had left it,unslept in
A Dr rang back,and after going through it all again,put mum priority..it took another 3/4 hr for ambulance.
Anyhow, at hospital we waited for hours,me explaining she had dementia..and each nurse asking mum directly..details,dob, I was continually pulling them aside explaining.
Mum was saying she hadn't fallen,she had no pain, had been dragged in by lunatics..
Trying to pull out the drip line and wrenching off wrist name band
She was in pain from trolley,and I kept saying she had lain in urine twice for hours..
So from ringing 111 at 11.15am..
To having xray at 11.00pm, mum was gradually getting more confused,
I have not realised just how aggressive,and potty mouthed she csn be,but she was saying she was going to kick their heads in, that she wanted out of tho s***hole..nightnare,
By half twelve she was on about this bring a bad school, and treating me and sis like kids, saying we we to complain to head teacher etc
Anyhow, I had to tell Dr that we couldnt stop her falling..told hospital wasn't a holding place..I ended up saying we just didn't know what to do as she keeps forgetting she has mobility issues,and is obviously going over as soon as we leave.
At two pm they took her to transfer into a proper bed..and she came back fuming that they had wiped her backside..which I thought was long over due,as she was saying shr was burning and exploding down there.
Trabsfered to assessment ward,and I was told to go and come back as she had to slep..again I explained dementia..i left..taking her dressing gown in error in my dazed state..but I doubt she will be up too early,suppose I just go back in today.
But they were acting as if she would just be discharged if no breaks etc.
I dont see we can go on tbh, even carers wont be 24/7 and she will be on floor again. As i think her hip has given way rather than just infection.
Cant see us continually trying to lift her,or calling ambulance, and her weeing herself and sitting in it.

Oh what an awful time, all that waiting.
We’re back at hospital today with Mum.
I’ve seen the social worker chap walking around so they are working, stick to your guns.
Take care of you, make sure you put some Christmas chocs in your pocket- I forgot.

Mum arrived 9:15, so far I’ve got her water, got more water, made her drink, taken her to the loo, got a urine sample, cleaned the trolly, found sheets, made up the trolly, transferred Mum to the trolly.
Not heard anything from the staff here!!!!
Grrrrrrr. X

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Although dad had stays in hospital and emergency A and E visits I have no experience of the system from home entry other than one suspected heart problem the week after mum died when I was looking after him in his home so back he went there...all other visits or stays were from his nursing home so obviously they carried on from the hospital care. However I have gathered from TP even though weekend or bank holiday may interfere with the process now she is in hospital don't they now have the duty of care to ensure she will be safe if they discharge her home and clearly she will not be as she is high risk of falls? Sorry...can't be more use and yesterday sounds very traumatic...the potty mouth could be a fight or fright ...dad was very frightened of anything medical so would launch into verbals. I think this is one of those times when you have to be polite but assertive say that you refuse to give help to your mum if they plan to discharge there is a phrase about vulnerable adult safeguarding risk and duty of care that others on TP suggest and if that can't be done until the hospital social worker occupational therapist or SS have seen her in hospital then good!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh what an awful time, all that waiting.
We’re back at hospital today with Mum.
I’ve seen the social worker chap walking around so they are working, stick to your guns.
Take care of you, make sure you put some Christmas chocs in your pocket- I forgot.

Mum arrived 9:15, so far I’ve got her water, got more water, made her drink, taken her to the loo, got a urine sample, cleaned the trolly, found sheets, made up the trolly, transferred Mum to the trolly.
Not heard anything from the staff here!!!!
Grrrrrrr. X
Its tough I know from my stays with dad in hospital but hopefully staff will sort your mum out soon...dementia is great all round isn't it...not!

jen54

May 20, 2014
Just sorting house essentials,so difficult with family to run..
The assessment ward only allows visitors from 3pm..
In a way it will be good to see how mum acts when we are not there
I wasn't told anything on being told to go..
I may ring a little layer as it states dinner is till 1.15pm..and it is strictly guarded,so I suppose they may not answer phone
Difficult time of year for sure, it was deserted last night, no one coming near,
I have no clue how to get ss involved while mum is there, it took long enough to try get them involved before,and then they said mum had to agree..drs and everything seem to shut down
I am hoping someone will know at hospital,especially if they see how nad mum is, all talk of aids etc..waste of time,as mum doesn't remember or moves any removable aids, she was shouting that they ought to be sorting the old folk she could see..not wasting time on her,as she was young..
For sure if they discharge,mum will fall again,I fear her hip has given up the ghost..though as Dr mentioned on last examination of it...soft tissue doesn't show on xrays..and they don't do hip ops on dementia patients.
This would have been easier after the hols.
Just worn out tbh,

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
While your mum today is safe in hospital don't rush in at 3pm..take an hour or so to have a cup of tea piece of cake and half a snooze before you go...you sound worn out. Hope things get resolved satisfactorily

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Jen54 - my Mum has been in hospital quite a few times over the last 6 months. She has had x-rays and spent various spells in an assessment ward but she has always had an occupational therapist (OT) assessment prior to discharge. I've found the staff are usually helpful in letting you know what's going on (if you can find someone to talk to!) so when you go to the hospital today ask for an update. From experience things tend to move quite slowly, but if they mention discharge ask for an OT assessment and also say that you need to speak to the hospital social worker. When you speak to them ask for a 'best interests' meeting so that a full assessment can be made of your Mum's needs prior to discharge, and if you have health & welfare POA make sure that you let the hospital know.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Surely with a relative with dementia, you can visit whenever you want? I feel sure I've seen that mentioned here on TP before? Perhaps one of the UK experts will know.