Can I ... Should I?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Xmas pudding may be popped in an undesirable place !!
Oh my life! This has bought back such a memory of my mum. When I was a little girl, she used to start a poem every Christmas...’It was Christmas night in the workhouse and the snow was falling fast....’ and that’s all she said. I used to ask for the rest, but she always said she couldn’t remember it.
The first Christmas after she died (her funeral was on 6th December) you can imagine how miserable I was. And then I remembered her poem...and I thought, I will look it up on google!
And I did....
It was Christmas night in the work House,
And the snow was falling fast...
I don’t want your Christmas pudding
You can shove it up your .....hmmm
Honestly, I was shocked, disappointed...all those years....all those years!
And then I howled with laughter. Good old mum! God Bless her.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Oh my life! This has bought back such a memory of my mum. When I was a little girl, she used to start a poem every Christmas...’It was Christmas night in the workhouse and the snow was falling fast....’ and that’s all she said. I used to ask for the rest, but she always said she couldn’t remember it.
The first Christmas after she died (her funeral was on 6th December) you can imagine how miserable I was. And then I remembered her poem...and I thought, I will look it up on google!
And I did....
It was Christmas night in the work House,
And the snow was falling fast...
I don’t want your Christmas pudding
You can shove it up your .....hmmm
Honestly, I was shocked, disappointed...all those years....all those years!
And then I howled with laughter. Good old mum! God Bless her.
Thank you, this post has made me laugh, I'm so glad that many on here can make me smile. That includes you too @Slugsta , I've got a dreadful chest infection, I need the cleaner more than the antibiotics ;):D

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
It must be that time of year @Sam Luvit , where all dogs think ' are you seriously wanting to go out there ?? '
Yes @rosy18 , my two dogs, if they could, would tightly wrap their paws around the front door and scream that I'm insane for wanting to go out in the rain :D

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
The Xmas party :)

All started well, mum looked beautiful, hair done and new outfit on.
The food was nice, three courses, choice of starters, choice of main, then either Xmas pudding or trifle.

After last years antics of the ( similar to sunbeds at a hotel) rush to get a particular seat that certain people always sit in, we sat at the back with mum and three other ladies, then another joined us, who then told us
' that's Elsie's chair ' ( my sister was sat in that chair) so my sister moved !!!

Elsie came in and sat somewhere else !!!

Through the meal all was ok, until we were chatting with mum about Xmas presents, the same ' lady ' who expressed need for change seats heard conversation and even though she knows mum has dementia ( the lady hasn't dementia) she decided to say to mum ' I'm still waiting for my Xmas money '

Has anyone who knows, a PWD takes things literally and my poor mum looked so confused ( she always has given money to close family)

The table took a very quiet turn as I turned around and said ' YOU WILL BE WAITING A LONG TIME '

Anyhow the Xmas pudding remained where it should and I went to work at that point :rolleyes:

Mum enjoyed herself with my sister and listened to a singer that came to complex.
But apparently mum was up and wandering a few times in the night, my sister thought she would be shattered after the busy evening and stay in bed, but it was not to be.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Why are some people so mean spirited @Margi29? Honestly, if they’ve nothing nice to say, I wish they’d just zip it, as for trying to confuse someone, that’s just more playground bullying. That Xmas pud wouId have been inserted if I’d had the pleasure

Obviously Elsie didn’t know which seat was hers, or that she was not supposed to join the ones at the front. I seem to remember a bit of chair hopping & it still not being right. Lol

Whatever did the “lady” ( I use that term loosely), mean by waiting for her Xmas money? I’ll send you some false money, you can give it to her as “it matches her perfectly”.

I’ll bet work seemed very pleasant company in comparison to those delightfully well mannered ladies

I don’t know what it is about this horrid disease, but the energy they have, it’s beyond belief. Hope your sister has had the chance to catch up on sleep.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Got a letter today from the Alzheimer’s Society today, apparently some of the support is being withdrawn next year due to reduced funding. Singing in the brain was one, but as I’d already been told it wasn’t even available last year, I’m a bit puzzled.

Guess it’ll be clearer next year

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
TBH, I read the start, scanned to the “you get so little n now you’ll get less” & thought I can’t deal with this, so I’m not going to

My mum needs support. She’s so depressed, she’s in the loop of wanting to just die, tells me she wouId if she had the courage, but nothing around to help

My son asked when I’m not tired. He’s right, I wake up tired.

Someone said “thank “heavens” it’s the weekend” & I looked at them & said, “makes no difference to me”

I used to tell staff, spend time training the new guys, you will benefit in the long run, so here I am not following my own mantra. I found someone who is willing to try with Mum, but the thought of showing her is like walking into a stormy sea, no lifeguard, alone on a deserted beach

Youngest is visiting this weekend, bringing his new fiancé to meet Mum, of course I’m delighted, but I’m also dreading the driving, the organising, the bed making, the cooking, the ...... it’s just so draining

It’s like no “person”gives a whatsit.

Boy I’m the most depressing person ever

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
As a suggestion, if possible can you get phone numbers printed on large piece of paper, then have them laminated ?? I've had to get a few of these, mum has lost quite a few.

Ps the calls are worse from about 4 in afternoon

Thank you! That's an idea, getting them laminated, I will try that, although I think he will manage to lose them too! He's pretty much chair-confined, yet the amount of stuff he loses is amazing.

And YES. My dad's brain only really 'works' between about midday-4pm. Before that and he's "still asleep". After that and he's "too tired". Even so, still very hit and miss depending on how much sleep he had the night before, etc.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
TBH, I read the start, scanned to the “you get so little n now you’ll get less” & thought I can’t deal with this, so I’m not going to

My mum needs support. She’s so depressed, she’s in the loop of wanting to just die, tells me she wouId if she had the courage, but nothing around to help

My son asked when I’m not tired. He’s right, I wake up tired.

Someone said “thank “heavens” it’s the weekend” & I looked at them & said, “makes no difference to me”

I used to tell staff, spend time training the new guys, you will benefit in the long run, so here I am not following my own mantra. I found someone who is willing to try with Mum, but the thought of showing her is like walking into a stormy sea, no lifeguard, alone on a deserted beach

Youngest is visiting this weekend, bringing his new fiancé to meet Mum, of course I’m delighted, but I’m also dreading the driving, the organising, the bed making, the cooking, the ...... it’s just so draining

It’s like no “person”gives a whatsit.

Boy I’m the most depressing person ever
Enjoy your visit from younger son, it's going to be hard with driving etc... but he will lift your spirit I'm sure x
It's just a phase with your mum ( dad went like that for a while) so hard though, watching and hearing a parent say this. Ring me anytime x

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
At mums and gutted !!!

I've come round to mums to find she has taken half the Xmas decorations down !!!

Me: mum where is the garland ?? And ornaments ??
Mum: well Xmas is all over now so I'm having a tidy up.

I've cried

I hate this disease !!!!!!!!!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Oh Margi! :( (((hugs))) Yes, it is a vile disease, it takes away so much more than just 'memories'.

Sam (((hugs))) I am sorry you are so tired and ground down. I guess your break seems light years ago! :( I hope you enjoy your son's visit but am sorry that it will entail so much work for you.

I went to a carol service with BFF yesterday evening and had a good sing. Tomorrow I have 2 choir gigs - a small one at the local library and a big concert in the evening. Singing always lifts my spirits, so it makes me very sad to hear of 'Singing for the Brain' sessions being cancelled :(

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Oh Margi! :( (((hugs))) Yes, it is a vile disease, it takes away so much more than just 'memories'.

Sam (((hugs))) I am sorry you are so tired and ground down. I guess your break seems light years ago! :( I hope you enjoy your son's visit but am sorry that it will entail so much work for you.

I went to a carol service with BFF yesterday evening and had a good sing. Tomorrow I have 2 choir gigs - a small one at the local library and a big concert in the evening. Singing always lifts my spirits, so it makes me very sad to hear of 'Singing for the Brain' sessions being cancelled :(
Thank you, @Slugsta , the need to cry or scream was the only option, so tears won.

I love the carol service at our local church, the vicar is extremely modern ( even wears a Xmas jumper on Xmas eve) am so hoping that if possible I can get mum there Xmas eve. A beautiful service last year, the children in the nativity were so good. It's been terrible up here, our roads are not gritted enough, so will be watching the weather and praying for non slip paths.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Oh dear Margi big (((hugs))) you and your sister a having a tough time at the moment. As

Sam nothing has been mentioned here regarding singing for the brain and we have just received the next 2 month dates so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue here. They are so well attended with great volunteers I feel it certainly won't be costing much money to run and I'm sure the majority would gladly pay a little more to keep it running.
I know the feeling Sam of really not wanting visitors as all the preparation seems too much effort. I've got one of my cousins and his wife coming today Sat and as much as I love them I'm thinking I could do without it, making lunch, chatting and all the while trying to keep Mum feeling ok just makes me feel shattered before I start.
Had to take in poo sample from Mum again today as the diarrhoea continues and I had the chat again with the GP re something else could possibly be going on with Mum but do I want to subject her to a camera up her rectum....impossible so the GP said we will rule out any infection first hence the poo sample if that's all clear he will give Mum something to try and help the diarrhoea, such a fine line to then having constipation.
I've just smiled to myself my main topic of conversation now is Mums toilet habits:confused:
I do hope Sam your Mum feels happier maybe the company will lift her spirits. (((Hugs))) to you too

Slugsta hope the singing goes well, I just love this time of year and singing carols and Christmas songs. Our carol service at Church was last Thursday with the blessing of the Xmas tree and wine and mince pies afterwards.Mum and I used to help with everything and I used to decorate the tree. Of course I couldn't go it was 7pm start and used to love midnight Mass but our Priest will call Xmas day bless him after he has finished at Church on his way to his sister' for his Xmas lunch.

Have a good a weekend as possible everyone.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Rosy, I am sorry (for her sake and yours) that your mum's diarrhoea continues :( As you say, it is a very fine line between that and constipation - it is hard to say which brings the most distress! I'm sorry that you could not get to your usual church services (((hugs))), your priest sounds an absolute gem.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Your poor mum @rosy18 , the thought having to put her through the trauma of a tube inserted inside her.
It would be torture, not only to her, not knowing or understanding why it's done, but for you, knowing the distress she would be in.
Your priest sounds wonderful, supporting you both x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T