Had enough today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Thanks all for the kind words. I re-read my post and it's not so much that I want to watch TV (!) as I need downtime. That's what I don't get - down time in my home that is. I suppose the answer to that would be "no, you're not going to get that with dementia, you fool"!

Thanks for the ideas Lady A - I did at one point use earphones for listening to stuff on the laptop. Hey, I could watch stuff on i-player couldn't I - rather than TV? (except I'll have to keep pulling them out to hear what mum's saying when she's in the room with me!). I guess I could do that when she's gone to bed. But, I either put her to bed early (which means she'll be up earlier the next day, probably) or, I stay up late and miss out on sleep. I might try the staying up late for a while as I don't get off to sleep easily anyway. I can't understand the sleep thing - I was sleeping better when mum was more active at night (I know that's a contradiction - I mean the times I could sleep, I got off to sleep faster). Now I seem to toss and turn and hear things when they're not there, like her coughing, or moving around, when she's actually in bed.

Worrier - good to hear from you but not good news re. your dad. Hope they sort the fluid out and get him more comfortable soon.

I'm now going to attempt to have a bath. Hopefully mum will sit still in her armchair long enough for me to be able to achieve that!

God, I took so many things in life for granted before this!!

Marnie I was wondering if a baby monitor would help? They have lights on them don't they which light up when there is a noise so you could have headphones in to watch or listen to something whilst still being able to monitor your mum. Would that help at all?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks Lavender for that suggestion - it may be worth a try. The problem with anything new in mum's bedroom is that she will probably pick it up and try to hide it away somewhere! She does actually sleep/stay in bed through the night now (which is a gift in itself after some of the experiences I've had), what I probably need to do is get into a routine of getting her to bed a littler earlier and getting myself up earlier in the mornings, then I can do a few things in peace, or relax a little before I go to bed and before I get going in the mornings. You just learn as you go really, don't you? I hope you are getting a bit of rest at home, though I know how worrying all of it must still be for you. I hope you end up with a good outcome for your mum, with a suitable place for her. I really need to get myself out and about again viewing homes. Mum is on the list at two places, both of which I would probably be happy with, if the time ever comes, but I'm not sure they would take her with current behaviours!

Took mum shopping with me today, parked up outside supermarket, mum says she needs the loo, then she didn't, then she did. This went on for about five minutes, so I drove back home again. She DID need the loo! Was a bit cross, but I suppose it's not her fault. We went back again, so managed to get shopping done.

Saw GP today. Am going to have blood tests - he has ordered the lot so everything gets checked. I'm not ill, as such, but told him that I'm sure the situation must be having some kind of effect on me and that I just want to check all is OK with me. He is very good. He has also given me another pointer for counselling and I will call them tomorrow.

Worrier - did you manage to get your dad seen today? I hope so.

I really have no idea what I would do without TP to vent and share on. I think I would have gone crazy by now (and still might!).

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
So called hospital and so helpful. They said come in now we are empty. Er I can't I am at work. Explained dementia they said no problem when you come in tell the desk and we will see him next
Had to arrange patient transport. They could only do tomorrow but I am working. So had to resort to booking it for Tuesday. Can't Monday as the windows are being replaced.
Got another supply of ab's.
The carer bless her a new girl made enquiries too and even called social services and the care company to see if they could help

Care company told me they had an overnight carer who will do the stay but social services haven't told me so need to chase them

May just start the ab's it can't harm can it if there's fluid on him still surely

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Decided to start ABs only because I could hear dad throat clearing in the night
Booked transport for Tuesday for X-ray. Windows and doors starting Monday. So told dad about all this
Now he keeps asking when are we going to the hospital. It's like an outing for him I suppose as he never goes out.
I may actually buy a wheelchair in prep for summer so I can at least wheel him round the block.
Any recommendations ? Few people said careco cheap and good in fact some chairs £59 and get 5* rating

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Worrier - just a quick reply - you may find that if you take your dad out somewhere, even just for a short time, it may help to 'calm' him. I find this when I take mum out for a drive and I seem to remember JP saying she used to do this with her mum. Mum doesn't remember the trips for long, but at the time she seems to be looking at the scenery and enjoying the outing. In my view, anything, just anything that calms/distracts or seems to give them a bit of joy, is worth trying.

I too will need to buy a wheelchair for mum soon. She can't walk far with her rollator without getting tired. Maybe with a wheelchair both she and I will get more outings! I have no idea where to start though, apart from a friend who bought one for her father. She brought it with her last year on a visit and we tried mum in it. Seemed a good one. Not sure about prices, but I guess you get what you pay for. Maybe someone else with wheelchair experience can give some advice here?

I hope your dad gets some relief for his chest soon. It sounds unpleasant.

Hope everyone has a reasonable weekend. I plan to clear up some of the mess that 'Doris' has left in our garden!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Decided to start ABs only because I could hear dad throat clearing in the night
Booked transport for Tuesday for X-ray. Windows and doors starting Monday. So told dad about all this
Now he keeps asking when are we going to the hospital. It's like an outing for him I suppose as he never goes out.
I may actually buy a wheelchair in prep for summer so I can at least wheel him round the block.
Any recommendations ? Few people said careco cheap and good in fact some chairs £59 and get 5* rating

Don't know anything about wheelchairs - but I know that as your dad has a diagnosed condition, you shouldn't have to pay VAT on supplies & equipment, so keep that in mind when ordering, and ask about it. If they charge you the VAT, I'm sure you can reclaim it.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks ladies
This care co site is so cheap. A colleague at work uses it and his mum has illnesses galore. His gf is head of some nhs dept too and she uses it
Prices are so cheap. He said the £59.99 chairs are pretty good too.
http://www.careco.co.uk/
I will also ask SS to see if care company can take him out even for 10mins round the block.
I'm not big so may have trouble pushing it

APPLEANNIE

Mar 20, 2016
had enough today

Don't know anything about wheelchairs - but I know that as your dad has a diagnosed condition, you shouldn't have to pay VAT on supplies & equipment, so keep that in mind when ordering, and ask about it. If they charge you the VAT, I'm sure you can reclaim it.

i got my wheelchair from the Wheelchair Service which is NHS.They gave me a wheelchair and service it. google wheelchair service and they will tell you your local office usually at a hospital

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Moan, moan, moan.

I would like to think I don't ask much of little sis. I do the lions share of the visiting, I deal with all the organising, any forms and all phone calls. I let her get on with life and don't make demands on her time.

Today I went to look at a nursing home and I really liked it. I liked the layout, the staff and just as important in a way they take people who have been sectioned. It's so much better than anything else I have seen.

Little sis was working today so I sent her a text saying I'd seen a great home and suggesting she might come and look at it when she has time. She couldn't even be bothered to respond.

I know I shouldn't feel annoyed, but I do. I don't ask for much. Not to reply is disrespectful. I have taken care of everything up to date, but she should look at the home mum will possibly go into. It's not asking much. Half an hour out of her week to see it. A mere minute or two to reply to me, but no her busy life is so important that even replying was too much effort.

I know she's my sister. I know I cannot change her attitude and shouldn't let it get to me, but I'm as angry as anything with her!

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Little sis was working today so I sent her a text saying I'd seen a great home and suggesting she might come and look at it when she has time. She couldn't even be bothered to respond.

I know I shouldn't feel annoyed, but I do. I don't ask for much. Not to reply is disrespectful. I have taken care of everything up to date, but she should look at the home mum will possibly go into. It's not asking much. Half an hour out of her week to see it. A mere minute or two to reply to me, but no her busy life is so important that even replying was too much effort.

I know she's my sister. I know I cannot change her attitude and shouldn't let it get to me, but I'm as angry as anything with her!

Oh Lavender, sorry about your sister's attitude. Maybe send her a follow up text telling her she'll have to contribute £x per week. That might get a response? ;) :cool: :D

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Well a fidgety dad who was restless since I got in. When he got the jump and went to bed I'm the evil strangler again who was trying to loosen his top from around his neck as he's tucked it into his shorts and lay down so quick that it is tight on him
I can't win. The worm has turned again
Dreading having to work from home a whole week while windows done and dreading the hospital visit Tuesday

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Lavender your sisters lack of any kind of response beggars belief.

I'm so pleased for you that you have found somewhere you like for your Mum that must be such a relief for you.xx

Worrier got Mum a wheelchair 12months ago ,managed to get her in it twice up to now.Her mobility is a struggle now so would be great to take her out for stroll down the promenade will have to persevere when the weather gets warmer,see how she goes. As for a drive I seem to spend half my life driving up and down the promenade but it relaxes Mum no end and makes her feel tired.It's got me through many a sundowning. I can't drive somewhere Mum isn't recognising otherwise she gets anxious so it is more or less the same journey most of the time.
Hope all goes well with the windows Mon and your Dads x-ray Tues.xx

Marnie I also know every creaking floor board in our house,never realised we had so many till I found myself creeping about the house. (Crazy really isn't it) xx

Thank you Jorgie hoping you have a lovely weekend too.

Have a good a day as possible everyone tomorrow xx

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I don't drive so hoping the wheelchair will be used for the odd 10-15min outing. I know it will be a nightmare so may try OT for one to start
It's 7.06 after after being accused of strangling dad while trying to help he's still asleep that or he's sulking. Just about to poke head in door he's breathing looks asleep covers in a right mess.
Saturday so want to go out for at least a few hours so hope he's up soon to be washed and breakfast then I get me time and carer can do morning coffee and lunch.
Just to sit alone with a coffee somewhere and look around the shops
Have good weekends all I won't say peaceful as forgotten what peace is xx

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
I don't drive so hoping the wheelchair will be used for the odd 10-15min outing. I know it will be a nightmare so may try OT for one to start
It's 7.06 after after being accused of strangling dad while trying to help he's still asleep that or he's sulking. Just about to poke head in door [emoji376] he's breathing looks asleep covers in a right mess.
Saturday so want to go out for at least a few hours so hope he's up soon to be washed and breakfast then I get me time and carer can do morning coffee and lunch.
Just to sit alone with a coffee somewhere and look around the shops
Have good weekends all I won't say peaceful as forgotten what peace is xx

Hi Worrier,
Sorry you are not having a good morning....

We visited FIL yesterday, the home had a talent show on & the kids wanted to go. I asked school if I could pick them up a little earlier (as it started at 3) & to my surprise school was very understanding & supportive. My son did a few magic tricks & got a box of heros chocolates....
Wishing I could do something for you, I can send you a hug & hoping you can get some me time today!!!
Mammamu [emoji202]

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels