So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Another gloomy, misty day - but I'm planning on going walking anyway. I find it does my mind so much good!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Not sure why, but that is what people usually do here - have the headstone erected just before the first anniversary of the person's death. Hopefully, he will get it done next week - I just want it done, and not have to keep thinking about it.

I found this really interesting. When you say "here", do you mean in Ireland, or just in your area? The reason I ask is because my Mum was Jewish, and in their religion, the stone is erected, or "set in place" a year later too, and the procedure is actually called "the stone setting".

I think it may refer to a custom, when it was considered that there would be a year of mourning. It will be mine and John's wedding anniversary on St Patrick's Day, and that's when I have a entry in the Book of Remembrance. Although I have a copy of the entry on a card, and I bought this, and one each for my son and daughter, they put the wrong date on the first proof, wrong words, wrong punctuation etc, so I am a little apprehensive.

Hope you get your stone in position soon. I know what you mean about wanting it done, and not having to think about it. xxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Yoicks! Only a short, fast walk, cos I hadn't brought a hat or gloves, and hadn't realised how bitterly cold it was! The wind, although not strong, was the type that snuck into your eyes and I ended up with tears streaming down my face, and feeling an idiot - because I wasn't crying, it was just the wind!

I've been to the Memorial Stone place, and finalised details of William's headstone. The supplier has sent the stone, but not the shape I had ordered, so the guy showed me what they had sent, saying he'd let them know, and they would send a replacement. However, with William's grave being right beside a wall, I decided to go with the stone they had sent, as the one I had ordered might not look as well, so close to the wall. I've also ordered a small polished granite vase which will be mounted on a small square of polished granite for stability, both black to match the headstone. And there will be a limestone plinth under the headstone. Simple. What William would like - in fact, he picked the headstone design, as regards wording. It has two interlocking wedding rings, and beside them, the engraving that's on my wedding ring - "Love is patient, love is kind "
Dear Lady A,

That is beautiful.

Aisling xxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I found this really interesting. When you say "here", do you mean in Ireland, or just in your area? The reason I ask is because my Mum was Jewish, and in their religion, the stone is erected, or "set in place" a year later too, and the procedure is actually called "the stone setting".

I think it may refer to a custom, when it was considered that there would be a year of mourning. It will be mine and John's wedding anniversary on St Patrick's Day, and that's when I have a entry in the Book of Remembrance. Although I have a copy of the entry on a card, and I bought this, and one each for my son and daughter, they put the wrong date on the first proof, wrong words, wrong punctuation etc, so I am a little apprehensive.

Hope you get your stone in position soon. I know what you mean about wanting it done, and not having to think about it. xxx
Well, it's a sort of tradition in Ireland I think, particularly in rural areas. Like a lot of things, it's dying out now. I do believe it stemmed from the "year of mourning" too though. And also, long ago, they waited until the grave had settled as far as it would, and then they could level it off. Depending on weather conditions, that could take months. I was amazed at how quickly William's grave sunk. I think it was because the weather was so very wet.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well, it's a sort of tradition in Ireland I think, particularly in rural areas. Like a lot of things, it's dying out now. I do believe it stemmed from the "year of mourning" too though. And also, long ago, they waited until the grave had settled as far as it would, and then they could level it off. Depending on weather conditions, that could take months. I was amazed at how quickly William's grave sunk. I think it was because the weather was so very wet.

I visited the grave of my grandparents last year, my Mum's parents, and though my grandmother died in 1944, my Grandpa "rented" the adjacent grave, and when he died in 1966, my Mum arranged for the stone setting the following year. The stone gives the names and dates for both of them. We all attended the ceremony in 1967 - and I hadn't been there since.

I was so worried that it would have sunk, or tipped over, but it was absolutely fine, so I think there's a lot to be said for waiting for the earth to settle first.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William's grave is just a "single" size, but two people can be buried in a single size grave, so eventually, I will be buried there with him. In fact, dau's father, uncle and grandfather are all buried in a single sized grave - her grandparents had paid for the plot for themselves years ago (forward planning!) not expecting to need to bury two of their sons unexpectedly. Actually, three of their six children pre-deceased them, but one son was buried in a different plot by his wife. Dau's grandmother will also go into the same plot as her husband & two sons - but they had to get special permission to bury so many in that size grave, in the circumstances.

Last evening, I was at dau's for a "family movie night". They were getting fish & chips - but sadly, I was eating the last of my own meal when she phoned to invite me! I did eat a bit of her fish though, as she couldn't eat it all. We watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!:D Very enjoyable! :D Unfortunately, yesterday evening I started that dry, slightly scratchy feeling in the throat that doesn't bode well! And this morning, I woke feeling a bit like I've been hit by a bus! My throat is not terribly sore - but has that raw, rather scraped feeling. And considering that I lay in bed for over an hour before I could muster enough energy to actually get out of it, I could cheerfully go lie down again. But I need to go and get some paracetomol and/or lozenges. I have big guns like solpadeine & stuff - but not basic paracetomol, which doesn't work for my migraines! Guess I won't be going on my brisk walk today, then! :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:) I have been medicating myself with a nice day at home, making a roast turkey breast dinner with baked sweet potato and peas, and bread & butter pudding for dessert. Comfort food! And seeing as the oven was on, and I had a couple of lemons needing using up, I made a lemon drizzle tray-bake. Between times I'm on the couch, sipping hot drinks with my feet up, reading my book. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lizzy cat, comforting the sick and afflicted! I can't seem to shake this cold. It's all up in my head. Totally miserable all week. And so lacking energy! I've got nothing done all week. Every morning I've woken up hoping that I'll be over it - but no! Nose still streaming, sneezes still sneezing! Fed up now!

Attachments

• 1456418609703.jpg
    1456418609703.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 367

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's bad enough to be talking to the cat. But to hear myself say "Oh, Lizzy! Will I ever be over these feezing snits?! " :D :D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Feezing snits has become the new expression around here now! :D I'm still having them this morning, but starting to feel a little bit brighter in myself. Like I might not die yet after all! Was talking to mum, and the best we can reckon, it must be at least 12 or 13 years since I last had a cold, so maybe that's why I got hit so hard with this.
I've washed my hair this morning - first time all week! So I must be feeling better! And I have the heater and hot water on for a bath. Also, to my shame, the first time I've felt up to a bath all week!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had these sneezing fits Lady A and thank goodness they don`t last for ever. I must warn you when the sneezing stops the stuffy head may start which is just as bad as far as I was concerned.

I hope a nice steamy bath will help.