2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
:D

Wanted glamour or funky.....

Have you SEEN the price of wallpaper now??? :eek:

So it's functional.....

Though I'm getting a bit stressed.....

After removing 6 layers of wallpaper, yes 6, came to the walls which are painted, one dark purple, one dark green and one lilac, with other painted a creamy colour, with a white line between the wall and ceiling :rolleyes:

And the patchy, different colours seem to be showing through the paper [sob] even though the paper is a thick one

Hoping one its all dried out, the background colours will fade/disappear away....

Otherwise it's dim/moody lighting in that room :D

Only the window wall to do phew!!!!

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:D

Wanted glamour or funky.....

Have you SEEN the price of wallpaper now??? :eek:

So it's functional.....

Though I'm getting a bit stressed.....

After removing 6 layers of wallpaper, yes 6, came to the walls which are painted, one dark purple, one dark green and one lilac, with other painted a creamy colour, with a white line between the wall and ceiling :rolleyes:

And the patchy, different colours seem to be showing through the paper [sob] even though the paper is a thick one

Hoping one its all dried out, the background colours will fade/disappear away....

Otherwise it's dim/moody lighting in that room :D

Only the window wall to do phew!!!!

xx

Oh Lordy! Hope so! Usually paper would cover it ok once dry.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Well, so far the wall that I did early this morning still looks like it's been painted very badly :(

I'm loosing all enthusiasm. I have about 3 fiddly drops to do round the window and they are not working either. So demoralising....

I TOLD HIM IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PAINT THE WALLS FIRST...... I did, I told him....... He's very good at pooh pooh not necessary...... Grrrrrrr

Sorry, don't know what came over me, that rant.....

The cream wall that was, that looks very nice.....

It's only taken for ever to get this far..... [sob]

I wish I hadn't been so particular about filling in the holes, levelling bumpy walls, etc, then it might have turned out funky :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well, so far the wall that I did early this morning still looks like it's been painted very badly :(

I'm loosing all enthusiasm. I have about 3 fiddly drops to do round the window and they are not working either. So demoralising....

I TOLD HIM IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PAINT THE WALLS FIRST...... I did, I told him....... He's very good at pooh pooh not necessary...... Grrrrrrr

Sorry, don't know what came over me, that rant.....

The cream wall that was, that looks very nice.....

It's only taken for ever to get this far..... [sob]

I wish I hadn't been so particular about filling in the holes, levelling bumpy walls, etc, then it might have turned out funky :D

Oh sweetie, how low you must be feeling but ........... from experience, especially as you say the paper is thick, once the paste has dried out, then you usually find things aren't as bad as they first seem.

Keeping my fingers, arms and legs tightly crossed for you :) xxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Exactly, 2jays. I have cream wallpaper with a floral spray design on it papered directly on to mahogany -stained wooden wardrobe doors, and the dark doors don't show through. Not once the paper dried thoroughly, which took a good 24 hours.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Exactly, 2jays. I have cream wallpaper with a floral spray design on it papered directly on to mahogany -stained wooden wardrobe doors, and the dark doors don't show through. Not once the paper dried thoroughly, which took a good 24 hours.

LadyA - you are the epitome of style, :) a mahogany wardrobe with floral and cream inserts sounds wonderful.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry for the hijack LadyA but thought I should update on the wallpaper situation.....

I'm glad I didn't rip the paper off in shreds, I was planning on doing that this morning, as it seems to look a lot better this morning. Still got some areas that have a shadow of colour showing through. Oddly it's the lilac wall that's the worst. The deep purple one has the very slight "interesting" splodges, and I've still to finish the emerald green wall, but as that's the window wall, the curtains will hide a multitude of sins :)

Thanks to you all for having faith in my wallpaper :D

How you doing today LadyA?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
If there are any bits showing through badly - you could just get another roll of wallpaper, and put another layer on here and there? After all - there were six layers of paper on, and now you are starting again! :D

I watched another Bette Davis film last night - Mr. Skeffington, supposed to be one of her finest. You know, I have to say, I think in her younger years, she was over-rated as an actress. Or maybe it was just the "acting way" of the day? But she did seem to over-act a lot, and I know she was supposed to have the most beautiful huge eyes - but tbh, that "eyes wide open" expression that was employed a lot in those old films - and obviously directors thought they had to make full use of her eyes - just didn't suit her. When she was older, she was excellent. So maybe it was just the acting fashion of the day. I suppose they had to get so much more across in those days, when they weren't allowed to even show much of a kiss between a couple who were supposed to be married - never mind anything else. Maybe that was why everything was acted with a bit more drama or something than in modern films. I still love all those old films though. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
LadyA - you are the epitome of style, :) a mahogany wardrobe with floral and cream inserts sounds wonderful.

They aren't inserts Scarlett! The wardrobe isn't actually mahogany. Skanky cheap Deal, stained with mahogany stain! Just plain doors - floor to ceiling sheets of timber! :eek: Painted with mahogany stain. Quite hideous. So I wallpapered them.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Shows how bad it is, as I can photo it :(

I have one roll left, so might paper over it as I have enough to do that wall.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455443041.700384.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455443041.700384.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 599

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
The "good" wall

It looks like a silk fabric - but not on the purple wall

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455443197.128629.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455443197.128629.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 607

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
See what you mean. But I would leave it until it's absolutely dry before repapering. It's lovely paper!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Finally managed to get myself out to church this morning. Was a long hard battle against the desire to just sit and feel sorry for myself - but I won! Ok, I was very late - but I'm always late! Original plan was to get back to walking through town again - but the heavens opened just before I was ready to leave home, so that scuppered that plan. The cold mum shared with me has definitely arrived, although not too bad in the sneezing/streaming department yet. The "feeling like my head is stuffed with something" bit is developing nicely though. And the "pain in the face under the eye" is coming along. Hard to tell about the cough, as I always have a cough. Is it worse than normal? Well, sometimes I do cough more than other times - so who knows? I know I feel like death slightly warmed over, so I'm not going to bother with cleaning out the stove and lighting it. At the moment, I have an electric heater in the living room which does nicely, and later, I will turn the oil boiler on and get the house cozy. Just waiting for a potato to bake for lunch, to go with the cooked ham and veg. Then it's me on the couch for the afternoon.

ps. On the up side - little red hen is looking quite a bit brighter today, and is eating a bit again, so has won herself a reprieve! For now anyway. I'll give her another few days, see how she goes. That's the thing with laying hybrids. They are just bred to live fast, die young. The oldest I've had one survive to was 5 1/2. These girls are (I think) 3 now, and I've already lost two of them, Molly & Mandy. They are such funny creatures, chickens. I have one coal black hen, Madge. She's beautiful - now. Back in late Autumn she had a complete moult. Dropped every single feather in the space of a few days. You could have put her straight in the oven! And of course, being black, she was like something from a horror film when her new feathers started to come through - the quills come out like spikes, then the tips of the feathers open. So she had these black spikes here and there with jet black feathery bits at the ends! And of course, her red earlobes & wattles. Enough to give you nightmares, she was. Lovely girl now though. I must try and get a pic of her and show you. :)

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope you feel better soon, LadyA. Glad about your little red hen.

Her perkiness didn't last Verity. By evening, she was back to looking down in the mouth, and not eating. So whatever her problem is, I suspect it's not going to end well. :(

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I'm calm now

It's done

Paper still "blotchy" but less so, and I'm bored now of doing that room - on to the next - changing the "study" into a child friendly bedroom :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455558092.997865.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1455558092.997865.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 535

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, my cold still hasn't developed. It's still lurking in the back of my nose, I feel. I did feel a bit brighter today, which may have had more to do with the bright sunshine (although it was freezing!) than anything else!

And - little red hen greeted me this morning bright of eye and beak agape for breakfast. I looked at her sternly, because she did that yesterday too - and by evening she was obviously flagging seriously, and looking rather ill again. This evening, however, when I went outside to the pen, a little ginger head popped up from the trees at the far end, and she led the thundering posse back to the secure run, in the hope of treats, just as she has always done! And she ate the evening feed with the rest - not as heartily or greedily as she usually does - but she did eat a good share. Usually, she jumps up on the upturned bucket I put the feed on so she can claim more than her fair share, as she is then standing squarely in the feed! This evening, she contented herself with pecking around with the others. But that's an improvement on Saturday and yesterday, when by evening, she wasn't interested in eating at all! So, she has won herself a further day or two's reprieve. She may continue to improve - or she may go down again.

My grand plan for this afternoon when I got home from work and a trip to the library was to do a little work outside. Thought it would boost my mood. The reality is that it was 3 pm before I got home. I hadn't had lunch, so thought I would do that first. Sat to have a sandwich - and having eaten, I fell asleep on the couch! I didn't sleep long, but it threw my whole afternoon out! Nothing done, which made me cross. So I have just now come in (as it's getting dark) from making a start on cleaning the windows! The sliding door of the porch and the windows are, after all the Winter storms, thickly coated with salt from the Atlantic winds. Going to finish them tomorrow, and wash my gutters too, which are all green from the trees. And I might (weather permitting) start cleaning out the greenhouse and see if I can mend it for another year. Time to be planting seeds for planting out later!! :) I have zero interest in it at the moment - but I will regret it later if I don't do it!