Help Needed

gillnilsen

Jul 24, 2007
London
Skye

Thanks for your responce, I am going to investigate further, really appreciate this help from every one.

Going over to mum's now, to make sure she is OK, maybe speak on Thursday - Thanks again for all the advice. Gill

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Gill, it sounds as if your brother is onto a good thing. It also sounds as if what he is doing is dodgy, if not downright illegal.

My advice is to get yourself some legal advice as soon as possible. It sounds to me as if your mum would be better off (and safer) in care. I know this is not what she wants, but you may find that she enjoys the company once she gets used to it.

Make sure SS know you are appointee.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Gill - I have to say that I think Hazel is correct. What your brother is doing is fraud, pure and simple, and as such, you theoretically have him over a barrel. However, he sounds like a bully (sorry) and while you may be able to stand up to him, I doubt his partner or your mother will be able to do so.

DId you contact Elderabuse? Your mother is being at the very least financially abused and from what you say, verbally abused as well. I know she says she doesn't want to go into a home, but frankly, you have to ask yourself is she really competent to make that decision now? Lots of people swear blind that they would do anything rather than go into residential care, but thats based more on a misunderstanding about what a good residential home is like rather than realistic understanding.

In a way, I understand why you are unwilling to tell tales on him to the authorities, since he is providing some level of care, and he is clearly volatile. However, you have to think to yourself - would you leave a child in that environment? Clearly, whatever you do you have to find someway to get your mother to a place of safety, but apart from that, I don't think you have any responsibility to keep this man out of trouble.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Gill,

You have much more power here than you realise. It is very difficult to stand up against bullies, especially if they are family members, but that is what you must do. Your brother is a bully - that is quite clear from your posts. He obviously bullies his partner and your Mum as well as you.

PLEASE seek legal advice. The best thing (IMHO) is for the Social Security people to understand how he and his partner are flouting their rules. This will result in an investigation of the situation, surely?? I realise you may not want to "dob" him in, but can the legal people at AS do it for you?

If you have difficulty keeping everything in your mind, spend some time writing a list of:

everything your brother does / does not do

everything you have done to try and address the situation

your concerns for your mother.

Take these to the legal people and let them see what has been going on.

Please remember that YOU have the power here, even tho' your brother is seeking to disempower you. As someone who has a very difficult brother (many of the same reasons) I have great empathy for you. Wishing you every success.

gillnilsen

Jul 24, 2007
London
Thanks for all your help

Neil, I have written pages to the social workers, and told them that he is drinking, mum is unresponsive, him and his partner argue and sometimes even fight, I have stated that I believe my mum is being abused, yet I don't seem to get any where, and actually don't care if I get him into any trouble, I hate watching my mum go through so much hurt. The social worker stated that "Stephan seems to be doing his best to keep his mother in the family home, but gillian seems to just want her to go into a home"

Thanks for the advice list, I will start again listing things down,

jenniferpa & Skye - thanks for your input, I am going to do everything I can to help my mum and once again thanks to every one, I actually don't feel so helpless now, reading and knowing that there are lots of people dealing with the same type of thing.

Last point, Jennifer - my brother is a bully, his partner is frightened of him, and when he drinks it is far worse, as he thinks (and at the moment gets away with it) that if he shouts no one will answer him, and we try not too as this really upsets mum

Last edited:

Jilly88

Aug 11, 2006
Margate, Kent.
Dear Gill.
The verbal abuse will only make your Mother worse. She'll become frightened and confused. I used to have days when I could just about strangle my aunt, but instead, I took a walk into the garden to cool off. I can understand the letter from Martin when he said he was at the point of walking out - and it makes you that way at times. All we have to remember is that people with advanced Alzheimer's just don't mean what they say or do. They can't help it and they don't remember being aggressive. My aunt used to hit me with her walking stick, break windows, scream all the time... but when they come to the latter stages, in a way you wish there was still a bit of 'get up and go' in them.
I miss my aunt. Now I just have the shell of her and it's heartbreaking. PLEASE try and reason with your brother and tell him that she just can't help it.
I DO feel for you.
Take care,
Love
Jilly

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Gill,

I am in tears for you, what an awful situation, and one we haven't had a lot of here on TP recently, but that is not to say you are alone as some carers won't like to admit they have a problem with a drunken brother - so congratulations for being sensible enough to face it. And as my dad had a drunken brother I do know what chaos this can produce.

However, my tears won't help so here are some thoughts, not very joined up I am afraid.

I know of no reason why SS should not speak to you about your mum, there is no such thing as a "Main Carer" other than for claiming Carers Allowance which it seems he is doing for his beer money and not for the caring. Seems as though his partner would be more entitled to that but she probably can't claim that as well as DLA. Being an "Appointee" is a term that the Dept for Work and Pensions and the Attendance Allowance people use to communicate with someone regarding a person's state benefits. That doesn't have any legal status either apart from with the DWP. It doesn't entitle you to much else. It is a pity you haven't got a Power of Attorney but the "old" style of POA only gave you control over money and you seem to be pretty much in charge of that, though £60 a week should be more than enough for food and toiletries for your mum, cleaning stuff etc. Why are you giving that much to your brother and his partner? Tell them you can't afford as much in future. Ah, easier said than done, I know. But £30 or so should be enough for your mum on a weekly basis.

I would first suggest you go and see her GP if the SS team is such rubbish. The GP can be quite influential and they see a lot of life, so he or she might be a good place to start. Make an appointment in your mum's name, don't say who you are when you book it, just turn up and tell your story - and take the mobile recording with you.

How about getting your mum some respite care in a home for a few weeks? Your mum might actually appreciate the feeling of being safe and not in the middle of a permanent row, and then be more accepting of going into a home permanently. Of course, that might not work, but it is surely worth a try. It actually sounds as though she is getting to the stage where a care home should be considered anyway, despite your brother supposedly caring for her.

As others have said, the situation regarding money and benefits appears to be illegal, but I don't think shopping him is going to benefit your mum, it sounds as if he will become even more argumentative and possibly violent, and you don't want your mum in the situation, so maybe the respite is a thought. In any case, shopping him is likely to take months before anything is done given the red tape with government departments.

Very few of our relatives want to go into a home or leave what they regard as their home, but in the event many of them have to for various reasons, but fear for their safety is surely a strong reason.

Your problem seems to be convincing the social services that she is at risk - which she is. Can you take your mobile down to them and play them the conversation with your brother's partner, and perhaps record a couple more that show what the situation is?

Though again, I am not sure what they can do as he seems to be there with your mother's agreement. Though you say you pay the rent? Does the rental agreement allow another family to be living there? Which is what your brother and his partner effectively are? Could the landlord help?

Boy, it is getting complicated for ME to deal with, I don't really know how you are coping, Gill.

One way or another, you have either got to get him out of there or get your mum out, and it seems to me that he isn't going to go without a fight, and if he is drunk I wouldn't like to think how such a fight might end up. I would say you are all at risk, including his partner, but she has a choice, your mum does not at the moment.

Now, another thought, I don't know what job you do, but could you afford to take a few months off without pay (and would your employers agree and give you your job back after?) and go and stay with your mum for that time? Employers are supposed to be more supportive these days. You should be able to claim Carers Allowance yourself then - never mind your brother, he isn't caring for her, you are - and your mum should be getting some rate of attendance allowance. Maybe you could get a part-time job near mum's on a temporary basis to add a bit of income while you are taking time out of your normal job. Somebody I know charges £15 a day to look after pets in the home while people are on holiday. She only spends an hour or so - not bad pay! And probably cash in hand, though as an Accountant myself I shouldn't mention that. But everybody does it.

By the end of the, say, three months, you might have had the chance to get your brother off the scene and your mum into a situation where she can get a proper care package to help her out, or even into a care home.

You talked of giving up your own job, and some people do, but it sounds as if you need yours, not just financially but mentally as well, so don't give it up unless it is a last resort. I get the impression that even if you went to live with mum, your brother would still be there kipping on the settee and still creating arguments.

I've run out of ideas now, tried my best, I think the GP would be my first call. Legal advice is all well and good but it takes time and it won't make your brother in a better frame of mind at all. I worry about the possible consequences from him.

Oh, you might also want to contact Help the Aged, or Age Concern, I think they both have helplines or help sections on their websites. This is not just an Alzheimers problem but one that could apply to any elderly person. Try them out. I've been in a position myself where I didn't know what to do about a problem (not to do with the elderly) and a charity's helpline was my saviour.

Let us know how you go on.

Much love

Margaret

gillnilsen

Jul 24, 2007
London
Hello, just thought I would say a quick hello, not feeling very well tonight, and having terrible nightmares, I am arranging funerals in my sleep, blaming myself, and need my mum to tell me she does not blame me for not helping her, can't cope very well tonight, had a night of tears, and blaming myself, but on a lighter note have typed up all my worried and going to be speaking to Alzheimers Legal department, and Elderly Abuse - someone has to listen to me. Will speak another day Gill

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Good luck, Gill.

Once you hav managed to speak to people, and hopefully there is someone fighting for you, the bad dreams will stop. There's nothing worse than feeling powerless.

Love and best wishes.

gillnilsen

Jul 24, 2007
London
Margaret

Thank you so much for your kind words, my employer is not very understanding on any matters concerning mum, and every time I need to take time off I have to use my holidays, so have no holiday break for about three years now, my brother and his partner lives at Mums, and he works just round the corner, so there is no point ofme going there to live, as as you rightly say, he would still come home, drunk and I have my son at home, although not a child, he is 28 but I like my own home, an mum can't come here as I only have two bedrooms, and live on the third floor, without a lift, and she can't be left at all on her own.

Speak to you again, soon - Thanks again Gill. PS You were very late typing your message.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Where are you up to?

Gill

I last emailed on 3rd Jan, you have not posted since then. I am hoping you have posted on another thread, cos it is worrying me.

Let me know how you are going on.

Love

Margaret

gillnilsen

Jul 24, 2007
London
Margaret

Thank you so much for thinking about me, I'm OK had a bit of an accident on a bus, hit my shin on a piece of metal and had about 4 days in hospital, then my computer got a virus, so hence no email. Mum not too bad just had a spell in hospital as well, but she had to have here stent redone, but generally ok, while she was in hospital I found out that my brother and his so called caring partner have not cleaned my mums teeth since the mid of November, when she came up from the Operation I went to put her teeth in (she wears dentures by the way) and found them to have a load of gungy horrible stuff all over them, and went mad at my brothers partner for not telling me, as I would have made sure that they were done. Anyway got to go and see my mum now. Hope you are keeing well. Gill x::)