Can anyone give me advice on toileting matters please

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Well, in some ways today must have been my lucky day :p

Mum was in and out of the loo quite a bit and I just casually :)D) suggested that vinyl might be good in the bathroom ....we have it ourselves, easier to clean, etc.....and she agreed immediately! Doesn't want to choose it etc, can I just sort it out....

I think she may be partly aware of a problem....which is sad for her :( but at least I can get on and do something about it! :cool:

Lindy xx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We seem to be having an epidemic of poo at the moment and I am patting myself on the back for having non slip vinyl all through the house.Glad your mum was easily persuaded Lindy

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello everyone l have been dealing with wee and poo this week, husband on sleeping pills so not waking up until it is too late, we do have tiled toilet and bathroom, still have to mop up, and change bed lucky to have waterproof mattress cover happy days ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My Mum had a lot of urine infections and one day they gave her trimethoprim and when I read the packet it mentioned a daily low dose as a preventative. I asked the doc and they prescribed it right away...10mg I think and we haven't looked back - that was over 6 months ago and not a single infection....brilliant...but I did have to ask.

I think you are all amazing, the one thing I can't deal with is toilets......just can't do it

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I did ask but was told that a certain number of infections had to be reported within a year before they considered preventative ABs. I'm sure my husband must have passed the magic number by now!

submarine

Apr 5, 2013
London
My mother also had recurrent UTI s. It was a nightmare. I was at the stage where I had no help and was constantly in a panic or in floods of tears trying to deal with it. They always seemed to start on a friday evening. She once ended up in A and E because she needed intravenous antibiotics. It was a miracle they had a bed ( Central London ) and one of the doctors there mentioned the idea of a preventative dose of antibiotic every. No-one had mentioned it before and she'd had about 5 infections in a period of 9 months. It has changed my life and my mothers. Every time she had one it took more of her away and quickened her deterioration. Awful.
Hope things get better for you.
submarine

lambretta

Oct 19, 2013
Toileting

My mum at 93 often has problems when she is in the toilet as she wets the floor or a faeces is stood in and then trampled all over our flat. It is not all the time and she does wear incontinence knickers in case she doesn't get there in time. She doesn't seem to know that she has done it I just walk into it when I have to go, I can't follow her to the toilet all the time.:

My mum lives in a home so it is slightly different for me. However, I do toilet her 3 hourly when she is with me at home or out and that way at least I can keep her dry. I can understand that is a task; but then clearing up is equally hard.

Orlando

Feb 13, 2012
Ashford Kent
Toileting

Hi there, you might want to consider a red toilet seat, as bright colours are easily recognisable, and number of accidents may reduce.

Best wishes
Anto

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hi I have tried the different toilet seat colour but it didn't work for my husband.I wish I had the answer .I think everyone is going through the same thing.I have even tried Pullups but he takes them down and still goes.I would love to know the answer as well.

Rosie56

Oct 5, 2013
I went with Mum to choose some flooring and although it was a long battle to get her to accept that we couldn't go on with a poo-contaminated carpet, she is now very happy with the vinyl and thinks it looks lovely. :D We got it from a small local firm and it was all done and dusted in 48 hours.

Reading the comments about faeces being trodden from one room to another, I found myself thinking about the Magimat I bought for my dogs when they come into the house muddy. It sucks liquid into itself and can be put into the washing machine. I find I have to wash it quite frequently to keep it working well, but you'd want to do that with faeces anyway.

My biggest worry about Mum's toileting is that I'm sure she doesn't wipe or wash herself, and sometimes she smells awful. I've had conversations with carers and social worker and GP but we get nowhere and personal care is an absolute no-no with Mum, whether it's from me or anyone else. So things just go on. :(

barneyone

Sep 24, 2014
n. yorkshire
I am sorry to hear of your problems, this is my first foray into the site. My Mum has exactly the same problem, pants coming down leads to instant flowing, regardless of nearness or otherwise of toilet. We do have tiled floors and presently faeces have only been a problem once. I agree with the idea of saying vinyl is being provided by government. These 90 plus folk love to think they are getting something for nothing. I wish you well.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
My wife is water incontinent and occasionally there are accidents with motions. I eventually removed the carpet tiles from the toilet leaving the bare wooden floor boards which are easier to clean, however, I intend to put vinyl down as the advantages of this are now clear to me. The accidents have in part been due to her uncertainty as to where to go, and also her inability to properly locate herself at the seating position (apparently due to the brain not building the picture correctly due to her AD). I agree with others that the best option is to always accompany the person but this may not always be convenient or possible. Time has meant that we now use incontinence pants and I am fortunate that my wife does not object to these. I initially tried her with the more feminine type i.e. pull up pants, for dignity but couldn't find any that were leak proof. Following a visit by the incontinence nurse we are now using the wrap around type with sticking plaster fasteners, provided by the NHS. In some respects I have found them easier to put on my wife than the pull on pants but they are more cumbersome and obvious. However, despite the downside of the NHS pads they have been a real saviour as I very rarely have wet clothing, bedding or seating to deal with which used to be frequent. They also retain the occasional accidental motion and with a bit of care I avoid the mishaps on the floor. I chose to use the 'super' size of pad as my wife has a large tank but I believe this size has also helped minimise the leakages from them. I still take my wife to the toilet when I believe she should be in need, or when I think it may be a reason for her aggitation, so I am using the pads as essential support. Perhaps this is something you could consider with your mum.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
My hubby became doubly incontinent after a very nasty illness and when I brought him home he was using incontinence pads permanently - he was immobile too. He didn't always know when he needed to go but did sometimes use a special word to let me know. As he was in incontinence pads I was always there to change him. perhaps this could be considered to avoid these accidents.

Sorry if this doesn't help much but best wishes

Lucy Golding

Apr 16, 2014
Understanding and supervision the only way

My mum at 93 often has problems when she is in the toilet as she wets the floor or a faeces is stood in and then trampled all over our flat. It is not all the time and she does wear incontinence knickers in case she doesn't get there in time. She doesn't seem to know that she has done it I just walk into it when I have to go, I can't follow her to the toilet all the time.:

We have the same soiling and marking issues. My mother uses continence pants - they seem really comfortable - but...she cannot remember she uses them and to put them on. My father at 83 does his best but it is hopeless really. If she wears and soils her own pants then she tries hard to wash them out - leaving them on the bath or stuffing them in drawers. With the papers ones she tears out the soiled padding and puts it in the loo She is trying to preserve her own dignity and clean up....the only answer is to shadow Mum everywhere. When out she cannot be left for one moment in the wc as she does not know how to get out or how to turn the tap on to wash hands.

For dignity close constant supervision is the only way....it is so exhausting. Like being with a toddler but so much sadder. The only saving grace is the loss of inhibition! I try to laugh about it but am always arriving at the house and checking... then changing underwear.

margaretoz

Nov 6, 2013
Far North Queensland, Australia
I had this problem with my husband who has Alzheimer's. He is 82 years old.

We had our 25th wedding anniversary recently. I told him the day before but of course it went right over his head.

When speaking on the phone to my son I mentioned it had been our 25th wedding anniversary the previous day.

'What did he give you for a present?'

I said 'a heap of s**t on the bathroom floor.'

'And you thought he didn't care' said my son. Hahahahaha!

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Michael is now in a lovely Secure Nursing Unit but I don't think he will make it to the end of October. This is the fourth week he has refused all food and drink. He still recognises me though and his face lights up when he sees me. So sad but also lovely to see that smile on his face.

Alzheimer's is certainly the long goodbye.

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
JanJ

I have been reading the comments regarding toilet issues. Mine is slightly different with Dad, he is wetting himself whilst out, despite having incontinence briefs on, he still has the odd time when he does not get to the toilet in time. Any suggestions please?

Also, despite washing his pants, trousers well, they still have a smell to them and I find it embarrassing when taking him out. I know I should not but what with the wetting and smell I think people must think I am not looking after him properly.

src123

Jan 21, 2013
Scotland

Hello

Tena pants are very good and keep the person dry. I order by the box load every month for my relative. I also have tubs of wet wipes handy in the toilet. Also a biobidet like the Supreme 1000 is really good because it can clean her by pressing a remote control button.

I sometimes have to give my relative personal care when carers are late or don't turn up. She gets up and holds the zimmer or the sink and the tena pads can be torn quickly at the sides. I also place a cut up disposable sheet on top of her pulled-down trousers to 'catch anything'. Sorry to be so graphic. The toilet floor has vinyl and she does not wear slippers because she slips with them on so she wears her socks only.

jivedrekly

Apr 24, 2012
'Patience', I agree with all the comments and regarding drinking always have a glass

Thanks for this idea, anto :) However in my mum's case the main problem is getting there in time......Another result of this is that she refuses outright to drink a lot of the time.....

I will keep the idea in mind, though, it may be useful in the near future, I think

Regarding drinking, always see she has a glass of water beside her, she will sip at it whenever. And that should reduce your frustration. Supervise toileting and show her (demonstrating yourself) to wipe herself from front to back, thus avoiding hopefully, contamination and urinary tract infections. Good luck

lillybo

Nov 10, 2011
toileting

My husband will not sit on the toilet eventhough he really needs to.He is over 6 feet tall and he will only do what he wants to. So I have had so much to clean over the past 4 years. Being so tired sometimes he would walk all over the house and faeces were all over the house. Luckily downstairs there are no carpets. 3 months ago my daughter got 10 metres of plastic carpet proctector and its so easy to wash and it has groves. Now my husband walks upstairs but in the last 2 weeks he stays upstairs. I have a gate at the top of the stairs so he cant come down because it was dangerous for him on the stairs. Every day is a different challenge

xyzdave

Jun 2, 2013
staffs
tips for the toilet

my first post this is ,i use the n h s pull up pants for my wife ,but i line them with childrens nappies from aldi,so if she does wet herself its easy to just swap the childrens nappy ,a little bit of tape helps to keep them in place and at only 4 pound 50 pence for 30 its not to bad ,but they are very good and keeps the pull ups dry ,

Seasider45

May 23, 2014
My husband is doubly incontinent and I get incontinence pads through the NHS. I find this side of alzheimers the hardest because he will not go to the toilet of his own accord.
I ask him to go and all he says is I am nagging him. Some days he is better than others.