Can anyone give me advice on toileting matters please

edye

Sep 17, 2014
Sheffield
My mum at 93 often has problems when she is in the toilet as she wets the floor or a faeces is stood in and then trampled all over our flat. It is not all the time and she does wear incontinence knickers in case she doesn't get there in time. She doesn't seem to know that she has done it I just walk into it when I have to go, I can't follow her to the toilet all the time.:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hello:)

I think that's the thing, the times you don't follow will be the times the 'accidents' will happen. I have tried for a long time and I have finally worked out... there's no short cuts.

I would say that the only way to be sure is to help your Mum while she's in the loo, if she will allow you to help her.
Otherwise...
it's six of one half a dozen of the other.

It's hard work either way, you have my sympathy.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi edye :)

You have struck a chord here for me! I don't live with mum, but I go to give her lunch etc every day, and several times recently there have been the tell-tale faecal stains around the loo and on the carpet. She had to 'go' in a hurry while I was there today and managed to get it all over her slippers and trousers. I feel so sorry for her, she tries to deny it whenever she can :(

It is so hard to know what to do. One thing I have thought of is maybe taking some of the carpet up and putting lino down......but that's so cold and un-homely, isn't it?

I'm sorry I can't come up with any brilliant ideas. You have my sympathy, and I hope someone else may be able to help us both :)

Lindy xx

Anto

May 8, 2014
Enfield, UK
Hi there, you might want to consider a red toilet seat, as bright colours are easily recognisable, and number of accidents may reduce.

Best wishes
Anto

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks for this idea, anto :) However in my mum's case the main problem is getting there in time......Another result of this is that she refuses outright to drink a lot of the time.....

I will keep the idea in mind, though, it may be useful in the near future, I think

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
My MIL does the same. We have a toilet surround which seems to keep her more focused on the job! When she has been really bad I go in with her every time. When we go out I search for disabled toilets and go in with her (I don't give her a choice but make the excuse I will go as well). I do this because on numerous occasions I have found the floor literally swimming in urine and its so awful to clear it up in public

In her bedroom we have put vinyl down so that nothing gets ruined. Bathroom has tiles and we've removed all carpets from the house and have wooden floors. Its the only way we can 'manage' it

I do empathize and hope you find a solution

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The only answer I have found is to be with mum most times when she goes to the loo, mum can't seem to position herself properly on the seat and she also tends to 'hold off' until she absolutely has to go, she does not seem to like going at all!!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with garnuft that the only way to deal with the situation you describe is to accompany your mum to the toilet and supervise her.

It's nice to have a carpet in the bathroom but there comes a point, and you seem to have reached it, where it is totally impracticable. You need a surface that is easily cleaned. There are so many things we would like to leave unchanged for all sorts of reasons. Accepting the need for a less attractive floor covering is no big deal in comparison with some of the other changes that are eventually forced on us.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We have had all our carpet replaced with non slip vinyl. Husband has severe mobility problems but is not incontinent so accidents happen all the time if I can't move fast enough.
Not so warm as carpet but far better for clean ups and hygiene.Also a huge range of patterns and colours so it needn't be as bad as you think.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hmmm....vinyl is definitely the way forward, thanks all :)

I think I didn't consider it before because I still regard mum's flat as her own home, with her making choices like that......sadly I have to take over in many ways, while still allowing her to feel 'at home'.

Now thinking of how to explain the need for vinyl, when she is in denial about the problem.....think I'll just go with something like 'everyone has vinyl now'.....unless anyone has any better ideas? :confused:

Thanks again

Lindy xx

Last edited:

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Would be an idea to ensure pants don't come down till ready to sit. Probs most when taking off pants to side of toilet and then flow starting.Then Only seat is most affected. We also spoke about problem and it has become so much better. If desperate I help with pulling down trousers and saying now sit. Not perfect but so much improved. Luckily or not we don't have faecal probs as constipation is present. As others said, Lino is best. Good luck.

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Hi Lindy. To get your Mum to accept the new flooring I suggest something about it being a special offer for pensioners from the Government. Say that everyone over 80, or whatever she is, is being given £200 for new flooring as the Government is trying to prevent falls in older people on worn carpet.

Anything to do with it being free might well work, it did with my MIL! Just get the tradesman who installs to go along with whatever you say. As long as they get paid they shouldn't care!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Hmmm....vinyl is definitely the way forward, thanks all..."

Consider non slip vinyl.

Ordinary vinyl, bare feet, and faeces can be a lethal combination.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Definitely non slip. Lindy will she accept the easier to keep clean version. Or the 'so much easier to walk on'version. Or the much cheaper than replacing your carpet version lots of possibilities.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

edye

Sep 17, 2014
Sheffield
Hello and thank you for your ideas. My bathroom floor is tiled it is when she walks in it and it is on her slippers that she walks it into the lounge from the hall, however from what you have said I am not alone with this problem and will have to follow her into the loo when I see her going there as you have said there are no short cuts.Mum seems to get water infections a lot which add to the problem as she gets confused, I know she doesn't drink enough but it is hard to get her to drink more we are forever saying have a drink mum.:)

Hello:)

I think that's the thing, the times you don't follow will be the times the 'accidents' will happen. I have tried for a long time and I have finally worked out... there's no short cuts.

I would say that the only way to be sure is to help your Mum while she's in the loo, if she will allow you to help her.
Otherwise...
it's six of one half a dozen of the other.

It's hard work either way, you have my sympathy.

edye

Sep 17, 2014
Sheffield
Hello
Thank you for your reply, the bathroom floor is tied it is when she walks through the hall into the lounge when she has it on her slippers I will after try to accompany her as much as possible to the loo.
Being pensioners ourselves it is not easy to change all the flooring in the flat as we need the warmth of carpets in the winter but it may be something we will have to think seriously about if it gets worse.

I agree with garnuft that the only way to deal with the situation you describe is to accompany your mum to the toilet and supervise her.

It's nice to have a carpet in the bathroom but there comes a point, and you seem to have reached it, where it is totally impracticable. You need a surface that is easily cleaned. There are so many things we would like to leave unchanged for all sorts of reasons. Accepting the need for a less attractive floor covering is no big deal in comparison with some of the other changes that are eventually forced on us.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
"...Hmmm....vinyl is definitely the way forward, thanks all..."

Consider non slip vinyl.

Ordinary vinyl, bare feet, and faeces can be a lethal combination.

Thanks nitram. I would definitely go for non-slip vinyl - even then, I think there's more concern that she may slip, than there would be with carpet. This is so difficult....

Like edye, I find that mum gets it on her slippers and walks it through. The problem is that because she lives alone, I can't be there all the time (though sometimes it feels like it!) so we have to go for safety first. There is a warden on site about 3 - 4 days a week, but she just pops in and sees to immediate practical issues like maintenance.

I am exhausted thinking about this and everything else ....:eek:

Lindy xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Lindy. To get your Mum to accept the new flooring I suggest something about it being a special offer for pensioners from the Government. Say that everyone over 80, or whatever she is, is being given £200 for new flooring as the Government is trying to prevent falls in older people on worn carpet.

Anything to do with it being free might well work, it did with my MIL! Just get the tradesman who installs to go along with whatever you say. As long as they get paid they shouldn't care!

Thanks for the idea pippop......I will try it if I need to. On the whole, though, mum is reluctant to accept any grants or offers from the government, so it might not be my first option....:p x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
We have done things like getting MIL to sign things by saying the government are giving the money to over 80's when in fact it is nothing of the sort. She forgets withing seconds

I think pippop1 has the best solution

I agree with you when you say it is so tiring to work out what is best, its mentally as well as physically

All the best

Darren 48

Sep 4, 2014
Lincoln uk
Mum is 83 and sometimes don't make the toilet due to signals not reaching the brain quick enough.She has done it in the kitchen ,bathroom and other public places .Its just something we have got used to now.