Still lost!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Today is exactly one month since my mum passed, where has all that time gone, for me it is still like it happened yesterday time has (as I mentioned in my blog) stood still and I suppose it always will?
Like mums 88yr old friend I still have the picture in my mind of mum in her coffin except I also picture her underground, thinking will she be ok, hope she won't be too cold especially since I forgot to give the FD shoes for her feet, the worst one stems more from mums fear of being buried alive, I tell myself she wasn't but the thought creeps in now and again. I did joke once or twice with mum long before she had the Alzheimer's that I would give her a bell just in case, would it have helped if I did would it have put my mind at rest, I doubt it.
I saw my Dr yesterday (cue floodgates opening, again), told him I wasn't coping and how I was still thinking of 'joining mum', he has been a great help and somehow manages to find the right words to make things seem easier whilst I'm there. I told him that I wish I could have done more to help mum, he told me that I had done more than what some daughters would have done, I was there for her 24/ 7 looking out for her and making sure she was ok and apart from finishing my degree (which I got, not brilliant, but I go it) mum was my world and that because we were so close it will take longer to comes to terms with mums passing.
I'm still crying at the least little thing (especially at night, but it can happen anytime), I did a shop at Tesco's yesterday for myself and mums friend, 3 times the floodgates opened (once in the town, twice in shop) as people asked me how I was and when I said I wasn't too good of course they asked why, cue tears during explanation. I didn't have to explain but they were people that had met mum when we did our shopping there together, so rather than have them ask at a later stage where mum was, it was easier (not really) to tell them what had happened.
As my Dr put it, if you can see a tomorrow it will help, which at the moment I can't. I often wonder if mum and I weren't as close as we were would it have made any difference to the way I feel, would I see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel? As I mentioned in my blog I'm not a religious person, I would like to think there is a god but as with all people with science background we need proof on things, I'm not saying the second coming would alleviate any thoughts of is there, isn't there, but it would go a long way to helping or just a little sign that there is something there and that I will see mum (and dad) again once I pass, otherwise what was the point of life, we're born, we live, we die, that's it?
Sorry for the long (ish) post I just thought I should share my thoughts as I'm sure I am not the only one thinking along the lines I am doing, the what if's, should I have done this, should I have done that, why did this happen or that. To be honest I just want my mum back, simples!

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It is still so very early, I hate to use clichés when you a so deeply grieving but this one is so apt that I will. Time is a great healer, but that time passes so slowly while you are grieving that you feel like you'll never have another normal day again.

Slowly, it does get better. I know it doesn't feel like that right now but it does and writing to share can be therapeutic. I am glad your doctor is understanding.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Carabosse. A month is no time at all. Kingmidas posted a very good illustration of grief to me once. I will try to find it for you. I remember losing a very close relative a few years ago and the days following her death I just felt like I was in a bubble. Life was just carrying on as usual and yet mine had stopped.

My mum lost her mum in 1979. She has never stopped missing her. Life just grows around that grief.

I feel for you and I hope, in time, you can find enjoyment in life again. Your mum would want that for you. Sending you hugs xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thinking of you as well Carabosse. As others have said a month is no time at all. I hope that it helps just a little to share your feelings here. You seem to have a very sensible GP. Take care. X

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I think a month on is harder than the immediate aftermath. I remember the phone ringing off the hook, the door constantly being answered to visitors, Dad's work people arranging dances to get money for us, them bringing in boxes of alcohol, well crates for the wake until the funeral was over.

It was all so busy, so much to do, so many people buzzing around, it was when the funeral was over and that person was missing from our lives that it hit so very hard.

It lifts slowly. Do you have people around you now? I hope you have people you can share with, don't think they will not want to know, I'm sure they'll want to still be there for you.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I don't have anyone (Connie is a great help) except mums elderly friend, we are trying to get through this together but she doesn't have to go out often and bump into people who don't know, or ask how mum is, was out this morning to get mums friend's prescription and do a few other things, didn't get too far without breaking down when people mentioned or asked about mum. Tears are flowing as I'm writing this!
Mums 2 brothers have become invisible again, neither popped into see if I was ok after mums funeral, so as far as I'm concerned they don't exist, they only came to the hospital 'fishing' for info rather than to see how mum was. So they can stay invisible, I don't care.
I did get in touch with a local service for people suffering from and caring for those with Alzheimer's, but this I have to laugh at (even my Dr thought it strange) that because I didn't register with them before mum passed (don't like the 'd' word) they can't help me now! Might drop Cruise bereavement an email, see how I get on with them?

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Today is exactly one month since my mum passed, where has all that time gone, for me it is still like it happened yesterday time has (as I mentioned in my blog) stood still and I suppose it always will?
Like mums 88yr old friend I still have the picture in my mind of mum in her coffin except I also picture her underground, thinking will she be ok, hope she won't be too cold especially since I forgot to give the FD shoes for her feet, the worst one stems more from mums fear of being buried alive, I tell myself she wasn't but the thought creeps in now and again. I did joke once or twice with mum long before she had the Alzheimer's that I would give her a bell just in case, would it have helped if I did would it have put my mind at rest, I doubt it.
I saw my Dr yesterday (cue floodgates opening, again), told him I wasn't coping and how I was still thinking of 'joining mum', he has been a great help and somehow manages to find the right words to make things seem easier whilst I'm there. I told him that I wish I could have done more to help mum, he told me that I had done more than what some daughters would have done, I was there for her 24/ 7 looking out for her and making sure she was ok and apart from finishing my degree (which I got, not brilliant, but I go it) mum was my world and that because we were so close it will take longer to comes to terms with mums passing.
I'm still crying at the least little thing (especially at night, but it can happen anytime), I did a shop at Tesco's yesterday for myself and mums friend, 3 times the floodgates opened (once in the town, twice in shop) as people asked me how I was and when I said I wasn't too good of course they asked why, cue tears during explanation. I didn't have to explain but they were people that had met mum when we did our shopping there together, so rather than have them ask at a later stage where mum was, it was easier (not really) to tell them what had happened.
As my Dr put it, if you can see a tomorrow it will help, which at the moment I can't. I often wonder if mum and I weren't as close as we were would it have made any difference to the way I feel, would I see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel? As I mentioned in my blog I'm not a religious person, I would like to think there is a god but as with all people with science background we need proof on things, I'm not saying the second coming would alleviate any thoughts of is there, isn't there, but it would go a long way to helping or just a little sign that there is something there and that I will see mum (and dad) again once I pass, otherwise what was the point of life, we're born, we live, we die, that's it?
Sorry for the long (ish) post I just thought I should share my thoughts as I'm sure I am not the only one thinking along the lines I am doing, the what if's, should I have done this, should I have done that, why did this happen or that. To be honest I just want my mum back, simples!

So sorry to hear how you are feeling, my mum died nearly four years ago and I still have some very "dark" days. I still miss her and long to be near her. Cry as much as you need to, I still do, I still "talk" to my mum, I tell myself she is now safe and at peace and that one day I will see her again. Of course you always think oh, I should have done this and that but try not to think this way, think of all the good things you did for her. When I saw my mum if her coffin, the chapel of rest was very cold and I remember thinking to myself, I hope they don't leave mum in here too long because she'll freeze to death! I was feeling very numb from what had happened at the time and still in shock.

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have been going around the house 'talking' to mum and dad, as long as I don't answer myself I should be fine!
Tell you how bad things are I was in tears at the lighting of the Paralympic Winter games cauldron, how sad is that? It was good though.
Thanks lexy, in a way I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thoughts of their mum being cold, or other strange thoughts that seem perfectly normal to us.
I must admit I have been praying at night asking god to look after mum (and dad) and that I hope she is safe, and happy to be with dad. I was never one for praying but I did start when mum was in hospital, not just this time but every other time as well, not exactly sure why I'm doing it is it to make me feel better, or is it genuine concern that she is fine now, I would like to think its the latter.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
When I was clearing mum's house I found a pad in which mum had written letters to her parents in. Telling them how she felt and sometimes asking questions. I think writing things down helped her get a perspective and just made her feel closer to them. It could help?

There's nothing wrong with chatting to them. I do that myself without even noticing!

Bereavement counselling could help? I know it's not for everyone but I'm sure your GP could advise you.

Be kind to yourself xxx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh Carabosse, I wish I could help. I haven't suffered such a close bereavement as you have but one thing I do understand utterly and completely is worrying about your mum being underground, as I have those dark thoughts, too, even about my own future demise.

I can reassure you, though, that you were a fantastic, loving and loyal daughter who fought for her mum with every fibre of her being, in the face of authority and the barriers that they created, because you knew that's what your mum wanted.

No-one could ask for a better daughter than that, I can assure you.

Much love and big hugs as you move through your grief. I don't know this personally but everyone in the know says that it does get better, so we must trust them. Try not to worry about tomorrow. Concentrate on this minute and let the next one take care of itself.

xx

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
I have been going around the house 'talking' to mum and dad, as long as I don't answer myself I should be fine!
Tell you how bad things are I was in tears at the lighting of the Paralympic Winter games cauldron, how sad is that? It was good though.
Thanks lexy, in a way I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thoughts of their mum being cold, or other strange thoughts that seem perfectly normal to us.
I must admit I have been praying at night asking god to look after mum (and dad) and that I hope she is safe, and happy to be with dad. I was never one for praying but I did start when mum was in hospital, not just this time but every other time as well, not exactly sure why I'm doing it is it to make me feel better, or is it genuine concern that she is fine now, I would like to think its the latter.

It has only been a month since your mum has been gone so what you are feeling is perfectly normal, I am not a deeply religious person but I have had many conversations with God since my mum died. Mainly telling him things about her what she likes and needs and asking him to look after her. I like to think that she is now happy again because she is with my dad again, someone who she always missed so much, he died when he was quite young. I should try and take each day as is comes but don't bottle up your feelings as you will probably feel a lot of different emotions. You said in your post you felt like "joining her" you will one day but not yet. I used to go to bed and say to God "I really don't want to wake up". Well, I had to "wake up" because I had two furry felines to feed! and one of the cats was my mum's dear little cat who she adored so I had to go on for their sakes. It may help you to contact CRUSE to talk to someone, I did have to go and see a counsellor because after my mum's death I was slowly "falling apart". I will be thinking of you, take care of yourself.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments...Tears going again!

As for 'joining' mum I meant sooner rather than later, but then I think you all know what I meant, I am alone now so what would the difference be?

With mum passing it has made me think of my own mortality, I used to collect things but stopped a while ago as I figured well who do I have to leave them to, I don't have children (although that could change, but unlikely) and I don't want whoever finds me to go raking through things (if you know what I mean) and who will fight my corner like I did for mum if I get Alzheimer's?

I will probably try counselling but not just yet as they will set me off and I don't really want to come across as a blubbering idiot, which at the moment I am.

I will have a look at the link for the song later, thank you.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments...Tears going again!

As for 'joining' mum I meant sooner rather than later, but then I think you all know what I meant, I am alone now so what would the difference be?

With mum passing it has made me think of my own mortality, I used to collect things but stopped a while ago as I figured well who do I have to leave them to, I don't have children (although that could change, but unlikely) and I don't want whoever finds me to go raking through things (if you know what I mean) and who will fight my corner like I did for mum if I get Alzheimer's?

I will probably try counselling but not just yet as they will set me off and I don't really want to come across as a blubbering idiot, which at the moment I am.

I will have a look at the link for the song later, thank you.

you said "I am alone now so what would the difference be", you are still a person in your own right and matter very much. I wouldn't worry about coming across as a "blubbering idiot" a good counsellor will be used to that. I do not have any children either, and I am divorced and yes you do start to think about your own mortality and whose going to fight your corner. I do have animals though and they are a great source of comfort to me and never judge me. Be kind to yourself, the pain you are feeling at the moment will lessen in time. I still grieve for my mum and have had to learn somehow to live with this grief and feelings of loss, I will never stop missing my mum. There is no "set" way to grieve but you will find an inner strength that you didn't know you had, I used to listen to music and also wrote down my feelings.

Take care of yourself

Lexy

Last edited:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I think the only thing stopping me 'doing' anything is what mum would think, but as I said what would the difference be if I'm not here as it wouldn't matter to anyone since I do not have anyone?

LuluCoops

Oct 6, 2012
Chester
Hello - I'm just back from spending 24 hours with my Mum trying to do things with her and help her feel happier but I'm not making a very good job of it. I'll just keep trying. Reading your posts I can feel your pain & grief and it helps me push on and making the best if the time I do have with my Mum. Please try to look forward and do whatever you believe would make your Mum proud of you and happy for you if she were looking down on you. It sounds like a cliche but time is needed to heal. The 1st year is the hardest when you think "this time last year...". Once this passes you are better equipped to deal with the loss. Set small goals, take comfort in helping your Mum's friend, perhaps think of taking a short break where every minute of the day is organised for you with something to do. Sending hugs though I don't even know you. Tale care xxx

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
I think the only thing stopping me 'doing' anything is what mum would think, but as I said what would the difference be if I'm not here as it wouldn't matter to anyone since I do not have anyone?

Hello Carabosse

It worries me to read your post, I think you will always find support on this forum, I do not really have anyone, well I have a brother but were not close and the rest of my relatives live a long way from me. Your dear mum would not want you to be unhappy. Have you seen your GP and explained how you are feeling. It would not matter to me even if there were loads of people I could talk to because I only want my mum and no-one can compensate for her. Hang in there, you won't always feel this bad.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, appreciate your comments... but at the moment I just can't think of any other solution to help me through this, yes I have seen my Dr and he has been brilliant. He said what I am going through is natural and because we were extremely close (mum was my world) it's going to take longer to come to terms with things, I do have some tablets to take but don't really want to become reliant on them. I could just take a few of them together and see what happens?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nina Warner