Reading material for dementia patients

mrcrowy

Nov 16, 2012
Gloucester
My 87 year old Mum has vascular dementia, is profoundly deaf and now needs full time nursing. She has lost all interest in reading books but does like to look at the pictures in magazines. Does anyone know of a weekly pictorial magazine that we could get for her? We also wondered about any children's books that might fit the bill. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.:rolleyes:

mrcrowy

Nov 16, 2012
Gloucester
Thanks Saffie

Thanks for the very prompt reply Saffie. I have ordered a 6 month subscription to see how Mum gets on with them, they look very good. Thanks again.

mrcrowy

Nov 16, 2012
Gloucester
Thanks Jeany

My wife & me have had a look at this site, it looks very good and exactly what we were looking for. We will decide which books she might enjoy most and get them as a Christmas present. Thanks for your very prompt reply. Dave C:)

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
This might not be any good if your mum's concentration is very bad, but do you know about Quick Reads? They're very short complete stories written for people with literacy difficulties. Quite a few famous authors have written for them as they've been around for a while.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
You might try your local library for 'nostalgia', 'good old days' books - I can think of a few I've seen - usually with masses of photos - though I can't think of any titles at the moment. Given that old memories are so often foremost, they might interest your mother. If you want to buy rather than borrow I'd suggest some of the 2nd hand book websites. Though it's worth checking the library for titles - do ask the librarian if you don't know where to look.

sazjane

Nov 23, 2012
Daily Sparkle

I just found this website for a daily magazine, I like the look of it alot. Some of you here might also enjoy it, its called the Daily Sparkle and they have a weekly one also.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi, I realise that this is an old thread but thought I'd follow it up in any case. There are a number of books by Robert Opie (check out Amazon) and similar authors which take a trip down memory lane. They depict various decades, holidays, toys etc.

Benjie

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I wonder if small catalogues.brochures may be of interest..eg plants and flowers or holiday places..clothes etc whatever catches her eye??

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
I've recently borrowed a book from the library in a series by Robert Opie. They are scrapbooks of certain decades-mine was the 1930s but I know he does the 1950s and the war years. They are mainly colour pictures grouped in subjects such as groceries, clothes, cars etc, so would appeal to all audiences. We enjoyed reminiscing with Mum and my grandchildren enjoyed looking at them, too.
I've seen them on Amazon in paperback so not too expensive if you wanted a copy to keep.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for the info about the Robert Opie books.

I have been to look on Amazon, but can't get an idea of the size of the books? I am hoping they might be A4 size or thereabouts...

Please would anyone let me know?

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi,

Thank you for the info about the Robert Opie books.

I have been to look on Amazon, but can't get an idea of the size of the books? I am hoping they might be A4 size or thereabouts...

Please would anyone let me know?

They are approximately 15" X 11". I've just measured the one I have on loan which is hard backed.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Thank you for that Goingitalone, then it is definitely worth buying one.

Don't think I shall go down the Library route though as I can't be relied on to return books on time!:eek::eek:

xx

Keaya

Account Closed
Dec 11, 2013
It is important to select books or reading material appropriate for people diagnosed with a memory-loss condition. Primarily, choose books that reflect an individual’s tastes and interests. Also, consider books with large-print text, as the person may have impaired vision. Finally, opt for books with large, vibrant photographs—while they complement and enhance the words from a story*—they can also engage individuals who do not connect to words, but rather with pictures.

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
Halsgrove books on biographies of the past.

There is a series of books published by Halsgrove (www.halsgrove.com) which are collections of photographs, stories and images relevant to different towns or villages in England. My mother is from North Devon and I have just bought The Book of Berrynarbor (A biography of Devon life from 1920). It is a great book to share memories with my mother about places she (and I) knew from the past, places we visited or had holidays.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I bought the "Remember When" Robert Opie book for my Mum and it was a great success. It covers the decades from Victorian times up until today - each page containing photographs of domestic products, film posters, toys, cars, fashion, etc.

A previous book with photographs on every page of historic and "celebrity" teddy bears went down very well too.

Mum can still read text fairly fluently but she can't remember anything she's read (eg she'll read a headline repeatedly at 5 second intervals for hours). She loves books with lots of pictures of items that were once an important part of her life.