Creating a Day Clock using a Digital Photo Frame

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
There is a commercially available Day Clock, and this displays a message - "Now it's Monday Morning", rather than the actual time. Each day is divided into periods, rather than times - Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Night. The clock is however quite expensive, and is in fact based on a relatively inexpensive Digital Photo Frame.

It is possible to create such a clock using many of the commercially available, and cheaper, Digital Photo Frames. As long as the frame allows an image to be changed every hour on the hour, all that is needed is 168 images, one for each hour of the week.

Once set up, the frame can then be used as a Day Clock, as shown in the image. This particular photo frame is a Motorola MLC800. The images are stored on an SD card, and once inserted, the slide show begins. All that needs to be done is to advance the slide show to the image appropriate for the hour and day, after that the frame advances on the hour. It also has its own clock and calendar, which can be turned off if required.

Each image file is named so that the correct sequence is followed (ensure that the frame is NOT set to randomly display images).

For this particular set up, each period has been divided as follows:
Morning 6am to 12 noon (6 identical images - for each day)
Afternoon 12 noon to 6pm (6 identical images - for each day)
Evening 6pm to 10pm (4 identical images - for each day)
Night 10pm to 6am (8 identical images - for each day)

The day does not change until the Morning period starts, so, for example, Monday Night changes to Tuesday Morning at 6am on Tuesday. This is to avoid any confusion that may be caused by changing say Monday Night into Tuesday Night at midnight. If someone was to wake up at 2am after going to sleep on Monday Night, and the display tells them it is now Tuesday Night, they may think they have been asleep for over 24 hours.

There are four different background images, one for each period. Each image has been selected to represent that particular period.

If after time, the dementia sufferer is no longer able to read the words, they may still be able to see the image, and may still be able to perceive the period of the day, by using the image alone.

I am currently using the frame illustrated for my Mother, who has vascular dementia. So far, it seems to be helping.

Attachments

• DayClock_Example_Small.jpg
    DayClock_Example_Small.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,447

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It looks brilliant. Have you set this up yourself or is it possible to buy the whole package?

I'm cognitively challenged!

Last edited:

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
SussexRokx, that's really nice work; the sort of thing I thought of doing but never actually tried. I like the use of pictures providing an additional cue to time of day. Quite agree about the unnecessarily high prices of these frames sold as clocks.

What happens if there's a power interruption (albeit that's not a very common occurrence, unless the person it's for is one who goes around unplugging things) - do the pictures get out of synch? Seems that is the case at least with the expensive ready-made clock ("If the Day Clock becomes unplugged, upon powering the unit back on you will need to reset the time and date options" - http://www.day-clock.com/how-to-use-your-day-clock).

Similar project previously:

Dementia Day Clock modified for a diary
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?52999

older thread looking at some clock/calendars:

clock with day/date
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?39419

SussexRokx's blog:

Create a Day Clock using a Digital Photo Frame
http://sussexrokx.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
It does have a battery back up, so will have to try it out without mains power, and see what happens.

The first night it was used, it switched to night time mode, and that did throw out the sequence. So I turned night time mode off - it still has auto dim mode on, so is not as bright at night.

Fortunately Mum doesn't go round unplugging things, so it would really only be a power failure that might affect it. That, as we know, can also apply to many other mains operated clocks.

The way the image files are named also makes it very easy to get the images back in sync. This is also useful for adjusting for daylight saving times, you just advance one image in Spring, and go back one image in Autumn.

Last edited:

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Treecol - yes they are good, but some people with dementia, my Mum included, find analogue clocks difficult to understand - even though they've been using them all their lives. So other methods are also useful.

The problem with such clocks is that they provide too much information. All the days of the week are there, and if they lose the ability to understand that the hand is pointing to a specific day, such a clock means nothing to them.

Another problem with commercially available Day Clocks is that they are new, alien, etc. By effectively creating one for them, and telling them so, helps them accept it more readily. Mum actually said to one of her carers, "he's a clever boy, my son", because she knew I'd created the Day Clock, especially for her.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think it's a fantastic idea and apart from the obvious problems of power cuts and deteriorating faculties, is a splendid idea for the time it's useful and that can be quite extended, I know it would have been useful for Mam for the last couple of years.

I don't think it would work now, she is quite highly functioning but it's all a bluff.
She can't read notes or logically equate anymore.
The fridge and pantry are invisible now.

But this time last year, it would have been worth it's weight in gold.

Great idea!

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Garnuft, you're right, every solution only lasts as long as the person concerned understands it. After that, we have to move on and find other solutions. If I do (find other solutions), I'll let everyone know.

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
It looks brilliant. Have you set this up yourself or is it possible to buy the whole package?

I'm cognitively challenged!

I have set it up myself, but I don't sell it, you could get someone you know to download all the necessary files and information from a blog called "Create a Day Clock using a Digital Photo Frame". It's on blogspot. Hope this helps. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It looks wonderful . Even if it would only be useful for a period , it would be worth a try.

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Thanks Grannie G. :)

Its use could be extended, depending on perception. First through the removal of the day, so it would just say Morning, Afternoon, Evening or Night.

Then, if the person concerned, could still recognise the background images, just the images alone.

It could be extended even further, so long as colour perception was still there - green for morning, light blue for afternoon, violet for evening and deep blue for night.

The last would be tonal, cool grey for morning, white for afternoon, warm grey for evening and black for night.

After that, visual perception would no longer be there, so sounds would have to take over.

I'm looking at other photo frames, especially those that play sounds and videos, to see if it can be extended further.

Early days, and Mum is the Guinea Pig. :)

Visual and aural perception are fine at the moment - she's watching and listening to one of her favourite Andre Rieu DVDs. :D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have set it up myself, but I don't sell it, you could get someone you know to download all the necessary files and information from a blog called "Create a Day Clock using a Digital Photo Frame". It's on blogspot. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you, SussexRokx - I think it's brilliant. Just a thought as I write this, do you think something like this could be done on laptop screen?

I used to be quite computer literate and on some good days can follow instructions. I think it would definately help my friend. I'm not sure if I could benefit from it, the days I lose any aspect of time I am usually quite ill with 'brain symptoms' so time is irrelevant to me but it may help me to reorientate more quickly when those symptoms pass.

Thanks for the details.
best wishes
Sue

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Hi Sue. Yes something similar probably could be set up on a laptop, but I haven't tried it myself. Although, it may be worth giving it a go.

For anyone else, I'll be posting a link to my blog, as soon as I reach the magical 10 posts mark. Only one to go.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue. Yes something similar probably could be set up on a laptop, but I haven't tried it myself. Although, it may be worth giving it a go.

For anyone else, I'll be posting a link to my blog, as soon as I reach the magical 10 posts mark. Only one to go.

Thanks for this SussexRokx

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Looks like a great idea. My mum does turn EVERYTHING off though, even the oven when I'm cooking! It's a good thing though as she lives alone.

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Thanks Jennifer :)

And just before I reached the magical 10 posts.

I hope everyone finds it useful, I'm working on various other versions, so keep in touch with the blog to see how things go. It'll all be free to download and use.

Last edited:

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Thanks for a wonderful idea SussexRokx will look at your blog, my mum however does not like electric things left on, can it work just on a battery?:D
Chris x