Dad is suddenly coherent! Can people recover from dementia?

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
My dad was in hospital for 2 months and has been in his carehome for a 3 months. He was doubly incontinent, couldn't formulate a sentence, didn't know who we were or where he was or what was going on around him.
I managed to get him into a carehome close to where my daughter and I live and we have been visiting regularly since he has been in the home.
I was stunned today when I visited - I expected him to be as he has been for the past 5 months but when I got there today he knew exactly who I was, started asking what had been happening to him and how it had come about that he was in a home. He asked if he was ever going to be able to go home. He even asked why he was in that particular type of home (alzheimers) rathe rthan just a normal residential home. I explained to him that he had been needing 24/7 care in every aspect.
Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that dad's recovery will continue? I am so afraid that the next time I visit he may be back the way he was. Can people recover from dementia?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
People suffering from dementia do have periods of clarity. My husband was better today than he ususally is when I visit and also less tired. My mother used to have times when she was well aware that she was confused and these were painful for both her and us, her daughters, as she used to worry about what was happening to her.

Also, when an infection is present, confusion can be worse. I hope you have many more visits where your father is more coherent. Make the most of them, they should be treasured.

stressed51

Jan 3, 2012
wales
I've never heard of anyone recovering from dementia. But maybe if he's on some kind of drug like Memantine, this is helping him to become lucid on times. I don't know if anyone else has ideas about this, I'm sure they'll be on to post soon. Sometimes I'm taken aback at how lucid and clear my OH is. When he's been speaking gibberish then suddenly seems to make absolute sense for a sentence or so. The right care can also have a tremendous beneficial effect on the symptoms of Dementia. Unfortunately for me the only time my OH becomes very lucid and clear is when he knows that he's going back into his CH or I try to leave him. He gets very angry and aggressive and very vociferous and clear - when he may have been speaking gibberish before. It is so distressing because then I think if hes like that how awful it must be for him to be left there, knowing that he wants to be with me, the guilt is awful:confused:

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
If your dad has vascular dementia there can be quite large variations in lucidity. Actually I have heard of people with any type of dementia having lucid times where they understand totally.

If something other than dementia has affected your dad for the last few months e.g. a serious infection, severe depression and other illnesses, they can act like dementia and so occasionally dementia is assumed wrongly to be causing the problems.

Sometimes I can see my mum and we can have a proper conversation, she might even joke with me. Other times she is hazy and will only answer yes or no to anything.

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
My mother was also more with it yesterday and today, a slight move towards her "normal self" As I drove home this evening I noticed that it was a full moon could this be connected. I remember reading long ago about the pull of the moon affecting the tides and our moods. Does anyone have any info about this in relation to dementia:confused:?

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Isn't it wonderful to enjoy a period of more recognition etc. My husband is going through a very good stage at the moment too - he hugs me, knows who I am, tries to join in, feeds himself (sort of) etc.

Sadly, I know this will be short lived - I put it down to good care and that he is contented.

A few weeks ago, I was called by the manager to tell me he was fading fast! He asked me who I was, never recognised me, had to be fed etc.

I try to be positive and enjoy the good bits when I can. I am sure they are temporary, but at least there is some joy.

I know in my husband's case that the damage to his brain is irreparable, so I just accept the good times.

Jan x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
My mother was also more with it yesterday and today, a slight move towards her "normal self" As I drove home this evening I noticed that it was a full moon could this be connected. I remember reading long ago about the pull of the moon affecting the tides and our moods. Does anyone have any info about this in relation to dementia:confused:?

Roger's last CH. the nurse always reckoned that the full moon had a bad effect on the residents.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother was always more lucid and coherent when she had had a drink. I kid you not. I think it was because she stopped worrying so much about what was happening and was more willing simply try to communicate.

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
How strange! My uncle has been in excellent spirits today, we went and bought new shoes for him this morning and when my daughter came in this evening it was the first thing he said! When I put him to bed he asked where the new shoes were as he wanted to wear them to church tomorrow! I didn't know what surprised me more, the shoes, the fact he knew tomorrow was Sunday or it was church day! I do wonder if its something to do with the moon, befor I gave up work to become his carer I worked in a hospital and there was always a 30 - 40% rise in babies being born around this time, so much so that we always prepared for this in the days befor a full moon!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I don't think it has anything to do with the Moon.

It is, I think, simply the massive intricacies of the brain.

We know so much but we know so little,
but we know what we know.

Scientists who study for years and make it their lifes work, vocation,
would tell you, if you asked them,
they don't have much of an idea how the brain works.

But some things they know.

Alzheimer's is a progressive illness.
It doesn't have any indications that it could get better, in fact, the contrary.

Things, external to the brain, with my mother, make a definite difference,
but only in some ways.
In no way is she ever as she was before the illness/diagnosis.
She may be lucid at times but her brain has been degraded and taken away by the erroneously, in some cases, in her case, illness known as Dementia.

She isn't demented.

There are times though when, if I didn't know her better, I would think she was fine,
A. OK.

But I know her better and I wish she could have had the sweet, shrouded by death but clutching your dignity to the end, end, that I want for myself.

I'm sorry to seem hard but it is what I think and hoping just leads to disappointment.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I find it odd reading this thread because I've noticed the last couple of days how 'with it' my mum is. In fact my brother commented on Fri that she's the best he's seen her in a long time. I just put it down to having good days.

Not sure I believe in the full moon thing but what do I know!

It's probably all coincidental but very intriguing nevertheless....

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Modern medicine still knows next to nothing. My grandfather had periods of insight. My mother was more herself in the three days before she died than she had been for many many years.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Modern medicine still knows next to nothing. My grandfather had periods of insight. My mother was more herself in the three days before she died than she had been for many many years.

I am so afraid that a similar thing may happen. I have heard before about people improving then passing away suddenly. It would be so cruel to have my dad back only for him to be snatched away again!
I am also racked with guilt that he has suddenly 'woken up' to find that I have put him in a home and sold his house to pay for it. I know in my heart of hearts that he couldn't have managed living at home but what must it feel like to suddenly realise that you've lost months and are now in a home with people you don't know!
I know he is well looked after and it's the right place for him but I still can't help feeling that I've let him down!

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hello Duffer,

How lovely that your dad has recovered his coherence.

My mum fluctuated, and had hours and days of lucidity and many abilities, but never to a level of complete independence. I grabbed those moments with her, made the most of them, and they are now my golden memories.

As to whether your father is recovering - who knows? Enjoy the good times, and keep us updated!

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
My OH cyclically clings to MIL's "good days" as signs of permanent improvement and evidence of an upward trend, only to crash down again with disappointment on her next "bad day".

He never seems to "get" that it is a progressive illness and that we can only expect a steady decline - he is a finance man so I told him to see it as a stock market that is going steadily down but with ups and downs on the way.

Am glad your Dad is a bit more himself - enjoy it while you can, but please try not to get your hopes up unduly or read too much into it, it is often sadly a recipe for disappointment.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
My OH cyclically clings to MIL's "good days" as signs of permanent improvement and evidence of an upward trend, only to crash down again with disappointment on her next "bad day".

He never seems to "get" that it is a progressive illness and that we can only expect a steady decline - he is a finance man so I told him to see it as a stock market that is going steadily down but with ups and downs on the way.

Am glad your Dad is a bit more himself - enjoy it while you can, but please try not to get your hopes up unduly or read too much into it, it is often sadly a recipe for disappointment.

I honestly don't know what I am afraid of most!
That this is the calm before the storm and that we will decline rapidly
That he is now coherent and lucid and will hate me for putting him a home
That when I see him again he will be the way he has been for the past 6 months and wont know who I am or where he is

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I think we all cling on to the good days to give us positivity.

We all know it's progressive, but then again, so is aging.

We cling to the good times to add a small amount of sparkle to our lives when caring for someone we love. I can only imagine how depressing it would be to have such negative thoughts and no sense of hope.

As my signature says, i try not to dwell in the past or dream of the future, but accept what i have today, and try to enjoy the good parts.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
I think we all cling on to the good days to give us positivity.

We all know it's progressive, but then again, so is aging.

We cling to the good times to add a small amount of sparkle to our lives when caring for someone we love. I can only imagine how depressing it would be to have such negative thoughts and no sense of hope.

As my signature says, i try not to dwell in the past or dream of the future, but accept what i have today, and try to enjoy the good parts.

Have just been back in to see dad and my daughter and 4year old granddaughter came too. Dad recognised us all and was pleased to see see us and was 'showing us off' to everybody. He told me that it had put his mind at rest yesterday when I filled in the blanks of the previous 6 months. He seems quite content that he is looked after there. I am so relieved!
I went through a photo book that I had put together for him and he was giving me the names of people in the photos - it is so lovely to have my dad back. I know it's only temporary but I am going to revel in it all the same!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Duffer, it seems to me that most of the posts on here are talking about something different from, and less significant than, what you have described. You weren't just saying he was 'a bit more himself'.

However, sadly, they are almost certainly right in assuming that this improvement will be temporary. Do keep posting though, as what you have said is very interesting.

I sometimes think that if one day someone does find a cure, no-one will believe them.:(

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Duffer

I am so pleased that your dad had continued in the best way today. It is so wonderful when they can remember not only you, but others too - it's almost miraculous isn't it. Just when you give up all hope, they do that to us!!

When I went today, R was asleep, and more tired than recently but he knew me, hugged me, offered me a kiss and said Jan. Most days he doesn't remember my name, but knows I'm someone he loves! (How many others I wonder!!!)

Enjoy these good bits; I have noticed the difference because R is so much less stressed. I hope this is the same for your dad - he sounds contented which can make all the difference. Long may this contentment continue, and you continue to enjoy your times together. xx

PS I certainly wouldn't view it as the beginning of the end. Just enjoy your time together, especially when things are good. I view Roger's "improvements" as contentment and lack of stress about how he will cope with life, now he is well cared for by CH staff. :)

Last edited: