Power of Attorney’s having access to Bank Account..

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
Hi I’m new to this Forum, my wife has Alzheimers and I was told of the importance of getting Power of Attorney set up. We managed to do this and have two Attourney Myself and my Niece. My niece has been brilliant helping with various things and me and my wife are really grateful. It wasn’t long ago that we got the official registration of the LPAs my niece managed to register with our Bank first, she actually works for the Bank….It took me a bit longer mostly because I was trying to do it on iPad and was told I needed a desktop environment. Any way I have official notification that the Bank has recognised me as one of the Powers of Attourney.as powers of Attourney my niece and I act both jointly and severally. My niece has access to my wife’s online banking and she has said that the bank have also sent her a debit card and PIN number. The Bank have given me access to my wife’s online banking but no mention of a Debit Card. My niece does not live close to us so in my opinion she dosnt need debit card in fact the main reason my wife and I wanted her was to assist us in dealing with Solicitors etc and legal matters. My life is constant stress at the moment and I’m worried that my niece having a debit card and access to the bank account could lead to her making withdrawals that are not warranted. We are in the process of selling our house having moved into a bungalow, my niece is dealing with this for us, it worried me when she asked if the proceeds of the house sale should be paid into her account…I obviously said no. I’m not sure how to deal with this It’s not that I don’t trust my niece I just don’t understand why she feels the need to have so much access ie debit card etc there is no reason she should ever be drawing money out of my wife’s account. When she messaged me informing me that the bank had given her the debit card and PIN number I sent her a message saying I wasn’t happy with her having so much access, I spoke to my sister her Mum and she agreed that she wasn’t happy with my. Niece having so much access to my wife’s bank account…..so now I don’t want to cause trouble or bad feeling but don’t relish having to check my wife’s account everyday for cash withdrawals or any suspect transfers….it’s probably the amount of stress I’m feeling but this is causing me more stress, sorry for the long post ….

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I can understand that your niece believes she should have access to the bank account and understand why she accepted the debit card so that she can make a transaction if necessary. As an attorney she has a responsibility to ensure your wife's money is managed appropriately so I feel it is appropriate for her to have access and that it could be useful for her to have a debit card for example if you had to go into hospital. I understand that you feel it is your responsibility but by making it joint POA you have given her that responsibility as well.

The suggestion of using her bank account is harder to understand and I wonder if you could just say it is puzzling you and ask why she suggested it to give her a chance to explain why.

You can ask the bank for a debit card for a debit card yourself as it seems appropriate that you will be the main person to spend if your wife cannot do it herself. Unless you have a reason for suspecting your niece I would just monitor the account weekly which is something it is wise to do anyway.

If your niece were to spend inappropriately the bank would be able to track the spending to her debit card.

I am hoping that it is your understandable stress that is making you suspicious and that over time things will settle down. It would be a shame if your suspicions come between you and your niece when she has been helpful and could well be helpful to you in the future.

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
Welcome @Johnarh

I would visit the bank and ask why you as next of kin haven`t been given the debit card.
Thank you for the Welcome really appreciate your reply, it makes a big difference having a voice of reason, all sorts of thoughts going through my mind….maybe I have to ask for a Debit Card ? I just can’t fathom why my niece who lives 25 miles away has a Debit Card and pin or why she feels the need to have one …….It’s me who goes shopping and needs access to a card….I might have to talk to my Sister but will keep your advice in mind…thanks again

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hard one to call but managing your money (both of your monies) might mean she has to pay from her own financial resources first then claim it back from you.
Sounds like she may have more to lose if found acting dishonestly, the very fact she told you she (niece) was sent a card and pin number implies to me some level of honesty, don't know and as I say hard one to call, had she not told you about the card and the pin number whole different matter, but she chose to and works for the bank. K

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
I can understand that your niece believes she should have access to the bank account and understand why she accepted the debit card so that she can make a transaction if necessary. As an attorney she has a responsibility to ensure your wife's money is managed appropriately so I feel it is appropriate for her to have access and that it could be useful for her to have a debit card for example if you had to go into hospital. I understand that you feel it is your responsibility but by making it joint POA you have given her that responsibility as well.

The suggestion of using her bank account is harder to understand and I wonder if you could just say it is puzzling you and ask why she suggested it to give her a chance to explain why.

You can ask the bank for a debit card for a debit card yourself as it seems appropriate that you will be the main person to spend if your wife cannot do it herself. Unless you have a reason for suspecting your niece I would just monitor the account weekly which is something it is wise to do anyway.

If your niece were to spend inappropriately the bank would be able to track the spending to her debit card.

I am hoping that it is your understandable stress that is making you suspicious and that over time things will settle down. It would be a shame if your suspicions come between you and your niece when she has been helpful and could well be helpful to you in the future.
Thank you appreciate your considered response…….really good advice monitoring the account weekly instead of worrying about what might happen I have a tendency to worry about the future and your correct in saying That I shouldn’t let my worrying about things that havnt happened affect good relationship with my Niece ….thanks again

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just to add. @Johnarh

Our son had joint power of attorney with me when my husband was alive. He never had access to our bank, nor did he ask for it.

When my husband died, I put our eldest granddaughter as joint power of attorney with my son.

Neither has a bank card to my account or know the pin number.

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
Hard one to call but managing your money (both of your monies) might mean she has to pay from her own financial resources first then claim it back from you.
Sounds like she may have more to lose if found acting dishonestly, the very fact she told you she (niece) was sent a card and pin number implies to me some level of honesty, don't know and as I say hard one to call, had she not told you about the card and the pin number whole different matter, but she chose to and works for the bank. K
Thank you another voice of reason, reading the replies so far I think I might be over reacting….just seems weird that my Niece got a Debit card and I didn’t…..

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
Just to add. @Johnarh

Our son had joint power of attorney with me when my husband was alive. He never had access to our bank, nor did he ask for it.

When my husband died, I put our eldest granddaughter as joint power of attorney with my son.

Neither has a bank card to my account or know the pin number.
That makes more sense to me….I even intimated to my niece that as my wife is reasonably well at the moment neither of us should activate the power of Attourney with the bank as I was quite happy the way me and my wife shared our finances…..but my niece is quite a forceful character and had to gain access maybe she likes the thought of having control……Myself I wouldn’t dream of having access if I didn’t need it……thanks again appreciate your replies and that you take the time to help…

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Just depends how it works, I was passengers in a neighbours car, went to fill up at the petrol station, gave me their card to pay and told me the pin if I needed it, so they could keep an eye on the kids well little one and baby.
As I walked in to pay I vaguely wondered why you'd trust someone more with your card and pin number more than your kids, seems like I'm not equipped for breast feeding, where she very definitely is, whole crèche if it came to it, didn't know where to look when I got back in the car. K

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
I don`t think you are overreacting at all.
Hi I’m new to this Forum, my wife has Alzheimers and I was told of the importance of getting Power of Attorney set up. We managed to do this and have two Attourney Myself and my Niece. My niece has been brilliant helping with various things and me and my wife are really grateful. It wasn’t long ago that we got the official registration of the LPAs my niece managed to register with our Bank first, she actually works for the Bank….It took me a bit longer mostly because I was trying to do it on iPad and was told I needed a desktop environment. Any way I have official notification that the Bank has recognised me as one of the Powers of Attourney.as powers of Attourney my niece and I act both jointly and severally. My niece has access to my wife’s online banking and she has said that the bank have also sent her a debit card and PIN number. The Bank have given me access to my wife’s online banking but no mention of a Debit Card. My niece does not live close to us so in my opinion she dosnt need debit card in fact the main reason my wife and I wanted her was to assist us in dealing with Solicitors etc and legal matters. My life is constant stress at the moment and I’m worried that my niece having a debit card and access to the bank account could lead to her making withdrawals that are not warranted. We are in the process of selling our house having moved into a bungalow, my niece is dealing with this for us, it worried me when she asked if the proceeds of the house sale should be paid into her account…I obviously said no. I’m not sure how to deal with this It’s not that I don’t trust my niece I just don’t understand why she feels the need to have so much access ie debit card etc there is no reason she should ever be drawing money out of my wife’s account. When she messaged me informing me that the bank had given her the debit card and PIN number I sent her a message saying I wasn’t happy with her having so much access, I spoke to my sister her Mum and she agreed that she wasn’t happy with my. Niece having so much access to my wife’s bank account…..so now I don’t want to cause trouble or bad feeling but don’t relish having to check my wife’s account everyday for cash withdrawals or any suspect transfers….it’s probably the amount of stress I’m feeling but this is causing me more stress, sorry for the long post ….
I had POA for my mum. I had done her finances since dad died as she had never understood them. I got a POA debit card & cheque book, only using them in the last 2 years or so when she completely lost capacity.
I would go see the bank, have a chat, ask for a card.
If you can down load the banks app. Set up notifications, I did for mums one. As soon as she used her card anywhere it notified me. Really put my mind at easy as I knew no one had swiped/cloned/scammed her card.

Johnarh

May 2, 2024
I had POA for my mum. I had done her finances since dad died as she had never understood them. I got a POA debit card & cheque book, only using them in the last 2 years or so when she completely lost capacity.
I would go see the bank, have a chat, ask for a card.
If you can down load the banks app. Set up notifications, I did for mums one. As soon as she used her card anywhere it notified me. Really put my mind at easy as I knew no one had swiped/cloned/scammed her card.
Thanks We have our banks app and never thought about setting up notifications really appreciate that advice....