NHS Track and Trace APP

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
For any Scottish members who may not have downloaded the app yet the details are here. Apologies to those who have as I know we’ve had this available for some weeks now.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I won't be downloading it. I rarely take my phone if I go out anyway.

In France the take up rate for their app is about 5%. Pretty useless really.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
I have just downloaded the app and it too tells me I’m in a medium risk area but it clarifies on the next screen that it’s either my local authority or a neighbouring one with a high or rising levels of infection.

I just checked using the BBC‘s how many confirmed cases are in my area and although we only have 4 per 100,000 (low as I expected) next door has 13 against the average in England of 19 Per 100,000

Guess I won’t be heading into my neighbouring area anytime soon ?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I just read that apparently the app doesn't work on older i-Phones, Apple 6 and earlier. I haven't even got a smart phone but I'm thinking of getting one if this system proves successful.

Any ideas for a cheap smartphone - Apple is expensive, so I suppose it would be Android?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thanks, @Beate . I've seen that rather strange name when searching. I've started thinking if I'm going to get one, I might as well get one with a good camera!! Is yours an i-Phone - you take great photos. Then I'm deliberating between buying one outright or getting a contract.

Sorry to divert from the NHS track and tracing app!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, it's a cheap Xiaomi Mi which I got from Amazon. The Chinese make good phones! K uses the same, and that's good enough for me seeing as he works in IT.
It's often cheaper to get phone and contract separately.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thanks!
What I don't understand about the track and trace app - and perhaps someone can explain to me - is how it works. I understand that someone who tests positive, inputs this information into the app and then it alerts those nearby with the app. Or does it retrospectively advise those who have been near them? Because they shouldn't be out and about if they test positive.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks!
What I don't understand about the track and trace app - and perhaps someone can explain to me - is how it works. I understand that someone who tests positive, inputs this information into the app and then it alerts those nearby with the app. Or does it retrospectively advise those who have been near them? Because they shouldn't be out and about if they test positive.

Apparently when phones with the app installed are close to each other the bluetooth will recognise this. If someone you have been in contact with then later tests positive and enters this result into their phone you will get sent an alert if you have been less than 2 metres away from them for 15 minutes or more, or you have been between 2 - 4 metres away from them for 30 minutes or more. Apparently an algorithm calculates 'points' based on distances and when the points exceed 900 then you will receive an alert telling you to self-isolate. So yes, the app does retrospectively alert those who have been close to someone who later tests positive.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Hi Grannie-g, shock for us too; the app shows medium risk for our postcode yet we're in the SW which has a relatively low infection rate compared to other parts of UK.
A sharp reminder to be aware.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Apparently when phones with the app installed are close to each other the bluetooth will recognise this. If someone you have been in contact with then later tests positive and enters this result into their phone you will get sent an alert if you have been less than 2 metres away from them for 15 minutes or more, or you have been between 2 - 4 metres away from them for 30 minutes or more. Apparently an algorithm calculates 'points' based on distances and when the points exceed 900 then you will receive an alert telling you to self-isolate. So yes, the app does retrospectively alert those who have been close to someone who later tests positive.

Algorithms ?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I think this answers most of my questions:

So, from what I understand, it relies on both the person who has tested positive and the near contacts to both have the app? Does the old Track and Trace system still manually trace people who don't have it?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27