Care for the Carer !

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I
Aldi is quite good too. Of course I only eat it for health reasons!
ve heard Aldi
Your place sounds absolutely delightful! I have never been to your side of the world but two of my children have at different times, and loved it. When you put the elephant in the room to one side, you have carved a peaceful and creative 'self' or so it seems.

I think we have to forget about elephants sometimes, just when we can, and remember the delights about us. The clothing business you tell of, sounds wonderful, how utterly lovely, and such a comfort if that is the right word.

I had a lovely surprise this week, My daughter was 40 on Thursday ( that was not a surprise, we knew about that!) But when I asked her what her little brother, (aged 30) up in Scotland had got her, she said she could not tell me....... strange, thought I. Then she said it was to do with my birthday as well ( another big one) in December.

I was consumed with curiosity.

Anyway, son up in Scotland phoned me as said it was a long time to keep a secret as my big birthday is not until December - so he told me. Bless him. He and his wife are expecting their first baby, and he has booked, and paid for, plane flights and hotel for myself, his sister, and my little granddaughter to go up to Scotland not long after the baby is born, so we can all meet the latest member of the family. My son had cleared it with my daughter's husband, so he would look after their toddler, and also phoned my partner's son ( partner has the elephant in the room) to make arrangements for him to come here to look after his Dad.

What a loving and generous idea - son up in Scotland knows that his sister and I would have struggled to find the money to go up to Scotland - so he has done it for us!!!!

It has cheered me so much this week.......... that and the fuchsia I thought was deceased, bursting into flower!
This is absolutely wonderful news. Your heart must be so full. To be treated with such tender love and appreciation is so, so special. I am just thrilled for you. C. xxxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, well let's do that!! I look forward to meeting new friends and talking as though there are no elephants in any rooms....... xx
Does anyone else share my interest in genealogy? It's my job, but I do love meeting all these people in the past........
I have had two cousins on either side so have been sent information. I had an ancestry programme from those days when we had to buy a disc.
Unfortunately the Ancestry was taken over so it was lapsed. What fascinates is an old photo with the image of our own grandson on it. The likeness made me double take.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
The oak tree has a story.

Twenty three years ago this week we lost our son,James, who was aged 13. A couple of days after his death I was walking the dog and saw this acorn on the road. It was trying to sprout a leaf or two. I felt sorry for it, because I thought a car would run over it and squash it, so I put it in my pocket and took it home.

I put it in a plant pot and for several years it was a twig with a few leaves on.

Now it is over 20 foot tall, still only a sapling in the oak tree world, but it will grow into a brilliant tree one day. We call it 'James' Tree'.
How lovely, what a special treasure. Not in the same class as James, but I used to refer to garden plants by the name of the person who gave the cutting, hence Mary Locke is doing really well this year!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
How lovely, what a special treasure. Not in the same class as James, but I used to refer to garden plants by the name of the person who gave the cutting, hence Mary Locke is doing really well this year!
And so is Trish’s honeysuckle, in my garden!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I have had two cousins on either side so have been sent information. I had an ancestry programme from those days when we had to buy a disc.
Unfortunately the Ancestry was taken over so it was lapsed. What fascinates is an old photo with the image of our own grandson on it. The likeness made me double take.

We have a family photo taken in about 1923 with my Irish Grandad, Grannie and their six sons and one daughter. One of the sons is the spitting image of my youngest - he says he doesn't like it as 'My face has been used before!' - I have a photo of the same man in his 50's which I dare not show my son !!!! ha ha ha

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
And so is Trish’s honeysuckle, in my garden!

I love that as an idea - we should tell Monty Don and he can put it on Gardeners World, and maybe everyone will start doing it.......

On another tack - does any one else feed hedgehogs? Most I have had in the garden at once is 5, but most nights see 2 or 3 around the food dish......

AliceA

May 27, 2016
We have a family photo taken in about 1923 with my Irish Grandad, Grannie and their six sons and one daughter. One of the sons is the spitting image of my youngest - he says he doesn't like it as 'My face has been used before!' - I have a photo of the same man in his 50's which I dare not show my son !!!! ha ha ha
How funny!

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Yes, well let's do that!! I look forward to meeting new friends and talking as though there are no elephants in any rooms....... xx
Does anyone else share my interest in genealogy? It's my job, but I do love meeting all these people in the past........
Yes I (and my daughter) am very interested in my ancestors.I have not had time to do the groundwork, my daughter has trawled the net for information, and has found out lots of information but has hit a brick wall now. On my fathers' side (he was Polish) his parents were from Poland and Austria and their village is now Russia. Records have been lost during the wars and we have the difficulty in not being able to speak Polish. also my father would not talk about his time in Poland very much only snippets, which I understand, but we would love to know!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Yes I (and my daughter) am very interested in my ancestors.I have not had time to do the groundwork, my daughter has trawled the net for information, and has found out lots of information but has hit a brick wall now. On my fathers' side (he was Polish) his parents were from Poland and Austria and their village is now Russia. Records have been lost during the wars and we have the difficulty in not being able to speak Polish. also my father would not talk about his time in Poland very much only snippets, which I understand, but we would love to know!

It's worth writing down what you do know for future generations - they will thank you for it!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Good start to the week. I contacted the Council when I found no Council Tax had been taken. I have had an issue going back several months over a reduction. However none will be taken until Next April and a balance of over payments given as a refund via the bank. I have already spent the mentally as having building work done so can afford the final touches.
The sunroom is coming on, have any of you you had any experience of window film, I know there are various privacy ones and solar ones. It would keep it cooler in summer warmer in winter. Has any one tried these.
The reduction in CT each month means a bit of help with the chores, so need to hunt down a flexible cleaner. So started the week on a positive note.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Good start to the week. I contacted the Council when I found no Council Tax had been taken. I have had an issue going back several months over a reduction. However none will be taken until Next April and a balance of over payments given as a refund via the bank. I have already spent the mentally as having building work done so can afford the final touches.
The sunroom is coming on, have any of you you had any experience of window film, I know there are various privacy ones and solar ones. It would keep it cooler in summer warmer in winter. Has any one tried these.
The reduction in CT each month means a bit of help with the chores, so need to hunt down a flexible cleaner. So started the week on a positive note.

That sounds really positive - what a good start to your week - making you smile I should think!!!

A flexible cleaner - sounds interesting - if you live in a small place ie village like I do, there may be a parish magazine with adverts in, or local notice boards......

I have just watched the Tour Of Britain go through our village - whizzzzzz ever so quick, but it was great fun in the blazing sun. The police motor bikes were just as interesting - over 30 of them - really boys toys, tooting horns at the spectators, of which there were many........

Also had contact with a second cousin, who told me a grand tale about my Dad, when he used to visit his sister ( her Grannie). Seems on one occasion, knowing Dad had a good appetite, and was arriving for lunch - the table was duly set with a large carving knife and fork and a large serving spoon for the apple pie afterwards - there idea of a joke on Dad!!! made me smile.....

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Today I have been to Drs to have BP checked which was ok. Then to the opticians for eye test & picked new reading glasses. I just said to OH I was going to get eye test as I knew if I said I was going to the docs. It would not enter his head to ask why I was going . I said there was a meal just needed heating up but I got no response . Well we just get on dont we . Axxx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Today I have been to Drs to have BP checked which was ok. Then to the opticians for eye test & picked new reading glasses. I just said to OH I was going to get eye test as I knew if I said I was going to the docs. It would not enter his head to ask why I was going . I said there was a meal just needed heating up but I got no response . Well we just get on dont we . Axxx

We do have to 'just get on' - its the elephant in the room again!! Here on this thread we can just indulge ourselves and make it 'about us' for a change !!! Good Ho!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
That sounds really positive - what a good start to your week - making you smile I should think!!!

A flexible cleaner - sounds interesting - if you live in a small place ie village like I do, there may be a parish magazine with adverts in, or local notice boards......

I have just watched the Tour Of Britain go through our village - whizzzzzz ever so quick, but it was great fun in the blazing sun. The police motor bikes were just as interesting - over 30 of them - really boys toys, tooting horns at the spectators, of which there were many........

Also had contact with a second cousin, who told me a grand tale about my Dad, when he used to visit his sister ( her Grannie). Seems on one occasion, knowing Dad had a good appetite, and was arriving for lunch - the table was duly set with a large carving knife and fork and a large serving spoon for the apple pie afterwards - there idea of a joke on Dad!!! made me smile.....
These old stories are so good to pass on, I must make some more notes. I told a gt. Grandson the effort we had to make to phonecall any one when I was young. Few homes had telephones. He looked at me as if I had come out the ark. I could not live like that said he!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I remember an older lady I knew, who was telling her grandson how much in love she and Grandpa were when they got married, and how Grandpa used to come out of work at lunchtime and go to the phone box and phone her up to see if she was alright, and the children were also alright......... what did the little grandson say?????

Any ideas folks?

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
When I can be me I like to go for a walk, my other hobbies are paper crafting I do most paper crafting in the middle of the night when I can not sleep. Oh and eat chocolate lol

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
When I can be me I like to go for a walk, my other hobbies are paper crafting I do most paper crafting in the middle of the night when I can not sleep. Oh and eat chocolate lol

What sort of paper crafting???? origami? I am interested - I couldn't do it myself but love to know more....

sue_1

Mar 29, 2017
Bristol
What sort of paper crafting???? origami? I am interested - I couldn't do it myself but love to know more....
Card making and scrapbooking I’m not that great at it but enjoy playing with all the card and paper I also have five knitting machines but can not get enough me time to use them these days they can be noisy which is the problem as mum seems to be very sensitive to noise

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Card making and scrapbooking I’m not that great at it but enjoy playing with all the card and paper I also have five knitting machines but can not get enough me time to use them these days they can be noisy which is the problem as mum seems to be very sensitive to noise

Five knitting machines - where do you keep them all? Actually, I cannot knit or sew, but I do retreat away to me time, with the genealogy - and my grandchildren are a great comfort to me......

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I remember an older lady I knew, who was telling her grandson how much in love she and Grandpa were when they got married, and how Grandpa used to come out of work at lunchtime and go to the phone box and phone her up to see if she was alright, and the children were also alright......... what did the little grandson say?????

Any ideas folks?

Probably why didn't Grandpa use his mobile phone?!!
BTW I also feed the hedgehogs. We see several throughout the evening some returning for 'seconds' I reckon. An unfortunate consequence this year has been absolutely loads of wasps all over the lawn after the remains of the hog food. It got so bad we daren't cut the grass. OH risked it the other evening at 8.30 just as it was getting dark & still got stung on the elbow. Came in, donned his thick motorbike jacket, went back outside & carried on! The neighbours probably think we're nuts :)